Fort Norfolk Plaza Progress

vdogg

Lol at this comment:

As a member of the design team I can assure you the City of Norfolk has been a great partner to the Fort Norfolk Plaza project. The people in the economic development, planning, and construction departments are very professional and among the best I've worked with.

I'm not sure I would make that public. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Shouldn't this thing be starting to rise off the ground by now?

No, they break ground last month, there was little to no sitework done, so ground needs leveled (should be completed) and then piles driven, which is on-going, a project like this probably has 200 - 400 piles needing to be driven, so pile driving is gonna take two - five months, depending on the site requirements. You've got a little while before you see floors rising. Patience.

• 3 weeks later...

in comparison to...it's steel, which is certainly not cheap

Not to mention that steel floor to floor heights are 3-4' higher than buildings with concrete construction. This building will have a massive presence in that area and will probably top out in the 130 to 150' range. I think in the end it will be a good looking building, despite the massive parking garage attached to it and will blend in with its surroundings.

umm is Fort Norfolk Plaza on the light rail line?

Not exactly, but it's close. The last station is at Colley and Brambleton, roughly 700 feet from Fort Norfolk Plaza. It's about the same distance from the station as CHKD, and a little bit further than Norfolk Sentara General or EVMS. So it is not on the light rail line, but it is served by light rail.

It would have been much closer to the light rail station, but on March 27, HRT moved the station about 300 feet to the east (away from FNP).

Archived