Fort Norfolk Plaza Progress

vdogg

• 3 weeks later...

guys, no matter how ugly and downgraded the design may be I love the density it adds to brambleton around medical center station. it's already 5 floors tall.

Hate to get anyone started, but when you compare this to just about anything else in Fort Norfolk (except Harbor's Edge and the historic fort itself), I think it's probably an improvement. I'm not condoning mediocre design, but maybe this project will spur interest in the area again.

a 9 story infill development in the middle of a lending freeze isn't anything to complain about. hopefully one day all of those parking lots in Fort Norfolk will be filled with infill projects increasing the effectiveness of light rail. I'm becoming more and more fond of this building. Density Density Density.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks rus! I only get up there once in a while.
Same here, I rarely am over there, but I wouldn't mind walking through ghent and maybe over there sometime this weekend if both the weather & the hangover arent too poor ;)

I think I can probably get some from the roof here of it but the quality probably wouldn't be real high so I may just skip on that.

I drove by it on sunday night on the way back from the peninsula, and it was already topped out and the interior steel stud walls were beginning to be installed.

I drive by it daily, it doesn't look half bad driving towards it. Especially when it pokes out from behind the Public health Building. It is only structure now and I know people wanted more. If they do the fascade right, it will not look too bad. One thing I did notice, It seems like the parking deck will be detached, is that correct?

Also, if you can get high enough (i'm in a 5 story building on ODU campus), it extends DT west which looks really cool.

I drive by it daily, it doesn't look half bad driving towards it. Especially when it pokes out from behind the Public health Building. It is only structure now and I know people wanted more. If they do the fascade right, it will not look too bad. One thing I did notice, It seems like the parking deck will be detached, is that correct?

Also, if you can get high enough (i'm in a 5 story building on ODU campus), it extends DT west which looks really cool.

YES! A free standing parking garage witha water view! Great land use Nofolk... <_<

Drove by there tonight coming home from NARO and it's all lit up with construction lights, over a hundred total I'd guess, on all floors. Looks like a big *** 9 story rectangular Christmas tree. Good sight. And I thought how really impressive that entire Fort Norfolk waterfront strip will someday look when it's fully developed all the way from this building down to the Brambleton bridge. Lotta real good land in there for mid and some high rise development. Gonna look awesome I believe. Let's get this party started (or finished).

You all were saying Norfolk doesn't have enough trees amongst the urban streetscapes, but it seems to me they have plenty of trees.

The parks are fine, they have plenty of trees, it is the urban city streets downtown that are lacking...though admittedly there are a number of trees downtown, just not in the streets lined with trees sense. Which really adds a much more inviting feel to a downtown...not to mention makes the air feel like it is cleaner.

Great shots of the building...the joy of a steel frame like that, is that it can look like anything it wants to...it is like an average looking girl that can become hot in the right dress, unfortunately this building is going to pick out the wrong dress and end up looking as ugly as she possibly could.

Great shots of the building...the joy of a steel frame like that, is that it can look like anything it wants to...it is like an average looking girl that can become hot in the right dress, unfortunately this building is going to pick out the wrong dress and end up looking as ugly as she possibly could.
This could be the funniest analogy I've ever read, I love it-

Why does everyone think this building will look horrible? I mean, of course it's not a good piece of architecture, but seriously, at least it's another surface lot done away with. Eventually, the whole Fort Norfolk area will be developed.. This is just the beginning. 9 story medical building and parking garage is wonderful. Who knows, once the area is built out that waterfront parking garage could come in handy. :thumbsup: Hurray for DENSITY!

Why does everyone think this building will look horrible?

Go back to the beginning of the thread and you will see the the parade of horrors they've tried to shove down our throats and claim was good architecture. :scared: The reason a lot of people don't like this building is that the developer didn't even try to make it look good. All buildings are eventually victims of the bottom line, and architecture is always first to suffer. The key is to compromise on the things you can while still trying to maintain something that the community can invest a little pride in. As it stands now, this thing is half garage. The urban design is so horrible it's a wonder the folks on the planning commission still have jobs. Sometimes you just can't let things slide. This is the first development after Harbor's Edge that is part of the Fort Norfolk plan. Unfortunately, when you allow something of such poor quality in it sets precedent. I now fear for what else might be allowed to slide into the Fort Norfolk area under the guise of necessary "cost cutting".

if I remember correctly, the Fort Norfolk Plan has suffered some serious setbacks because of the number of land owners there who have no plans of redeveloping or selling their property. There is a new channel there, there is Red Cross or something like that there, I think some form of the military owns land there...it is a bit of a mess to work out, and careless projects like this that show little care for its surrounds are probably not going to help the plan either....which is a shame for all these components because Fort Norfolk should be loaded with high real estate and nightlife...sort of a second downtown.

Imagine 2020 if:

• Downtown is continued to be developed as in the 2020 plan.

• Fort Norfolk is built out the way it's supposed to with mixed use housing, retail, and nightlife.

• St. Paul's Quadrant is developed with mixed use office, retail, and housing.

Downtown would be enormous. What do you guys think about calling FN, "midtown." Downtown is by the Downtown Tunnel, and Midtown would be by the Midtown tunnel. Just a thought.

That would make sense if there was an uptown for 'midtown' to be between. Otherwise, it's arbitrary. If there was an uptown anywhere I'd say that it is (a redeveloped) Wards Corner. Maybe Fort Norfolk could be Left Town and St. Paul's Square could be Right Town. :)

Archived