Carolina Plaza Implosion - Feb. 5th

Hybrid0NE

skyline1ha.jpg

On the right, as seen from USC's parking lot.

I can't believe no one here dedictated a topic to it, but it's 15 floors are coming down February 5th. It made a mark on the southern end of Columbia's skyline for 33 years but it's reached the end of the line. Unfortunately, the height restrictions on that side of Assembly wouldn't allow it to be be built today but USC will keep up to the standards of the Vista and not dissapoint the urban sandlappers with something subpar.

P.S. If anyone goes and has a camera phone can you film the implosion? I would've loved to be there. They couldn't have done this before I moved, lol.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I hope that some of you are able to get some pics or a movie of it. That would be awsome. I'm sure it will be on every news channel though. Everyone loves a good demolition. :D

Here is the link to that article in The State. I have no doubt that we will see more about it in tomorrows paper.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/13775501.htm

Yeah, I hope that some of you are able to get some pics or a movie of it. That would be awsome. I'm sure it will be on every news channel though. Everyone loves a good demolition. :D

Here is the link to that article in The State. I have no doubt that we will see more about it in tomorrows paper.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/13775501.htm

I'm planning to be there, but I don't have any video capabilities--camera, phone, or otherwise. I'd be glad to write a poem about it though. :rofl:

Wasn't there a recent implosion where the building didn't fully implode, it just started leaning?

Wasn't there a recent implosion where the building didn't fully implode, it just started leaning?

I saw something like that on the Discovery Channel. Maybe it was National Geographic, but it was on one of those engineering screwup shows. It was public housing in some city. Maybe Chicago? But I am fairly certain the one I am talking about happened in the 80s.

There wa s a recent implosion (within a month or two) in either North or South Dakota where the building did not colapse. I think that is what waverider is referring to.

Between the Heart of Columbia Hotel, Kline Steel and now Carolina Plaza, Columbia has lost three eyesores in just a couple of months. A nice trend indeed.... :yahoo:

I never thought of the Plaza as an eyesore. It isn't the most attractive buliding to be sure.... but there are much more horrendous buildings in Columbia.

I do not miss it at all. I watched the implosion and saw immediately that its absence sets off the new School of Public Health building, and even the Capitol Centre as you look up Assembly Street from Greene. Then I took a ride across the Blossom Street bridge and back to see what impact its absence has on the skyline. Please!!!... take that ride and look at what that building has been hiding all these years. Now when you drive down that hill on Knox Abott toward the bridge, and while crossing the bridge, you get a full view of the stately capitol, not just the dome but the whole jewel. It is absolutely beautiful from that angle. If and when they build a building in the Plaza's place, I will do everything in my power as a citizen to keep them from blocking the State House again. There had to be some outcry from people with good taste in urban aesthetics who complained when the Plaza was built there, because of that view of the capitol being blocked. Now the first view of our city from the west on Knox Abbott gives us much of our identity in a breathtakingly gorgeous way. Continuing up Blossom, when coming over the train tracks bridge next to USC's Greek Village, you get another nice view of the capitol dome that the Plaza was blocking. I say good riddance, and to me, besides the fact that it was blocking such a beautiful building, it was indeed an eyesore, especially from the south. And from Meeting Street and coming up Gervais Street, and from the 9th Street bridge, it was just a rectangular cement block with a hardly noticeable vertical row on windows going down the middle of it. Its position was not in the heart of things skyline-wise, so from that that standpoint it is not much of a loss.

According to an article in the State, the height restrictions for that portion of Assembly will not allow another building as tall as the Carolina Plaza. So you statehouse lovers won't have to worry about much. Although in my opinion Columbia will struggle to build another tallest and truly densify itself if people are going to make an outcry of buildings blocking their view of the statehouse. Anyway, here is my movie of the Carolina Plaza's implosion (Although the building wasn't the best looking, it did add some height to the area).

Sorry about that, I guess I'll have to figure out how to add mpeg movie files. Can I do that Administrators?

You can link to another site with the mpeg file, or post a small animated gif. I can't say it would work on the forum though. Depends on the file size. ;)

BTW, I watched it again on NBC's Today show this morning. What a cool site! Too bad a piece of the skyline had to go, but I'm sure something better will replace it soon. :thumbsup:

According to an article in the State, the height restrictions for that portion of Assembly will not allow another building as tall as the Carolina Plaza. So you statehouse lovers won't have to worry about much. Although in my opinion Columbia will struggle to build another tallest and truly densify itself if people are going to make an outcry of buildings blocking their view of the statehouse. Anyway, here is my movie of the Carolina Plaza's implosion (Although the building wasn't the best looking, it did add some height to the area).

There is plenty of room to build many new tallest buildings without blocking the view of the State House from angles that give a such panoramic view of the ridge. Coming from the east there is no panoramic view at all unless you live high in Middleborough Plaza. We just have to be careful not to mess up our best vistas.

You can link to another site with the mpeg file, or post a small animated gif. I can't say it would work on the forum though. Depends on the file size. ;)

BTW, I watched it again on NBC's Today show this morning. What a cool site! Too bad a piece of the skyline had to go, but I'm sure something better will replace it soon. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Do you know any sites that I can link it to.

I'd imagine something about the height of the adjacent public health building.

Thats what Im thinking too.

Sorry about that, I guess I'll have to figure out how to add mpeg movie files. Can I do that Administrators?

Not to my knowloedge. Your best bet would be to link to it on a host site. It won't work on the forum directly at this point.

I watched the WIS replay on their website. Its cool to have national attention, even if it is for demolitions:)

Archived