201 twenty-one progress

tuffsim

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa! Norfolk is really cooking... I really never knew that much about Norfolk, despite living in VA all my life until I moved away 5 years ago. This is absolutely amazing, and I am glad to see Norfolk's population rebounding (according to the latest estimates from the census, that is). I actually wish it would retake the lead for Hampton Roads, which is larger than any MSA here in NC or SC.

• 2 weeks later...

201 21st St Approved By Planning Commision

Developers have settled on a plan for the old Sears building in Ghent that will preserve the structure as part of a four-story, $40 million apartment complex.

Proposed two years ago as a condominium project that would include a Gold's Gym, the project, named 201 Twenty One, now will have 212 apartments and 16,000 square feet of retail space. The developers envision tenants such as Banana Republic and Baskin-Robbins, though neither has committed.

<_< I liked the old one better. It was the only modern architecture we had, well modern with a mix of Art deco. Now it looks like they're trying to revert to plain old Norfolk contemporary. Why does every innovative design have to be watered down?

201.jpg

Now this thing looks like Tanners Landing.

I thought that the old one was more imaginative, but this does look a bit more refined and home-like. But apartments instead of condos does make more sense for now, and the mixed use element seems to be expanded. Also, I like the incorporation of the old Sears building. I think they'll do just fine with this project now.

If it looks better than the "Row in Ghent" I'm all for it. I'm so ashamed of that building. I took out of town friends to Charlie's and had to justify the enourmous ugly monstrosity that it is. The building does not open up the neighborhood at all and is so isolating. This shows what a difference quality vs. cheap materials can make in the final product.

<_< I liked the old one better. It was the only modern architecture we had, well modern with a mix of Art deco. Now it looks like they're trying to revert to plain old Norfolk contemporary. Why does every innovative design have to be watered down?

201.jpg

Now this thing looks like Tanners Landing.

Actually I don't mind this, at least from the rendering, which we all the final product can look so different. I like it because it looks established, yet modern.

If it looks better than the "Row in Ghent" I'm all for it. I'm so ashamed of that building. I took out of town friends to Charlie's and had to justify the enourmous ugly monstrosity that it is. The building does not open up the neighborhood at all and is so isolating. This shows what a difference quality vs. cheap materials can make in the final product.

The real disappointment is Broad Creek. That development sucks so bad and looks like something you would find in suburbia.

I received a booklet in the mail that had a much fuller rendering of 201 twenty-one in its new style and I must say I actually like it. That little zoomed in snippet in the newspaper didn't give the full design justice. Unfortunately I have to wait to get my scanner hooked back up, etc, before I show them to you guys.

I received a booklet in the mail that had a much fuller rendering of 201 twenty-one in its new style and I must say I actually like it. That little zoomed in snippet in the newspaper didn't give the full design justice. Unfortunately I have to wait to get my scanner hooked back up, etc, before I show them to you guys.

201twenty.jpg

It looks really nice. They did a good job of masking the fact that it is one massive box. All the colors, balconies, cut-outs, and awnings distract the viewer. Hopefully the final product is either as good or better than this rendering.

lets not get too crazy now! those wendy's and taco bell are perfect for late night eating on my way home :P this project looks good, not as good as the original rendering but definitely not as bad of an update as that ghent tower, should be good for the area, would like to see some progress on site soon though, even though that's wishful thinking

I like the Bell too, but that is an area that should be well sought after. If I was to build something their, it would be high end. Norfolk still does not know what it has, sad really.

I think the city knows what it has and in due time this will happen. It takes time. What you see happening now has been worked on for decades now. Also, you have to realize the city aren't building these projects and there has to be someone who wants to build there. I think they will with the building going on 21st street and Bristol development there.

• 1 month later...

This project (also on the Consent Agenda) goes before city council tommorrow. Even though the project has been already approved they are asking for a change to the previously submitted plan, most notably they're asking for a larger footprint. Details below in .pdf format.

link

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know what happened but it appears that a vote on this project was postponed too. :blink:

It will go before council on January 9th. This is not on the consent agenda, a public hearing will be held.

More time to study the changes, or perhaps more changes afoot?

• 2 weeks later...

This project is very close to starting construction. They go before city council to obtain their development certificate tommorrow. This is one of the final steps. There are additional site plans, renderings, and building elevations along with some other details that I will post online when I get home.

This project is very close to starting construction. They go before city council to obtain their development certificate tommorrow. This is one of the final steps. There are additional site plans, renderings, and building elevations along with some other details that I will post online when I get home.

Man you must be busy trying to keep up with all of this! :blink:

Archived