201 twenty-one progress

tuffsim

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading the plans, this is a brilliant proposal. By keeping the Sears/Farm Fresh, they qualify for the tax abatment program. But instead of converting it to residential, they're converting it to a parking garage <_< Then building on the existing parking lot, they'll build the planned new construction for the residential homes. Brilliant idea by the developer. And hopefully this will bring some higher end shops to that end of 21st St, instead of the 'strip mall' shops there now.

I'm anxious for this project to go forward, since FF left, this building has been an eye sore, i'm glad this plan is nearing construction.

Reminds me of the Markets of Clarendon in Arlington, between Clarendon and Wilson, right at the Clarendon Metro stop. Retail, with residental above. One thing they did up there, which wouldn't work here, was to put a U shaped drive into the property off of the arterial (Clarendon), then surround it with retail on the first, restaurants on the second, residental above, all stepped back. Very classy. Also led to a second phase across the street that bought in a Whole Foods, and a retail/restaurant block that had parking above, with the visual appearance of just two more stories on top.

An appealing addition to Norfolk.

Glassoul posted this in developments 2...

Some altered or late, but 5 projects still on the map

201 Twenty One

Roseland Property Co. first planned to demolish the former Farm Fresh building at 21st Street and Llewellyn Avenue and build its luxury apartment complex from the ground up, said Daniel W. Aston, a partner of the New Jersey developer, which has local offices in Portsmouth.

Roseland realized that plan would cost much more than using the existing structure

• 1 month later...

The 201 twenty-one master development agreement also gets voted on today. Warning! .pdf file

On page 10 there is a schematic of how the plan to incorporate the sears building into the rest of the project.

Does this mean the Sears building has a pool and a jacuzzi? So the 20th Street side will be existing structure and 21st Street side new. I guess that will save some cost.

Does this mean the Sears building has a pool and a jacuzzi? So the 20th Street side will be existing structure and 21st Street side new. I guess that will save some cost.

They're basically building the new portion of the building on the existing parking lot, and keeping the old for retail and parking. Not exactly saving a historical building but whatever. The jacuzzi and pool will be put in the courtyard, ala Row and Bristol at Ghent.

They're basically building the new portion of the building on the existing parking lot, and keeping the old for retail and parking. Not exactly saving a historical building but whatever. The jacuzzi and pool will be put in the courtyard, ala Row and Bristol at Ghent.

I was just kidding about the pool. But are you saying the retail will face 20th Street vs. 21st Street? Shouldn't it be the other way around? That way, residents would face downtown vs. traffic, and traffic would see the shops. Am i missing something?

I was thingking there were going to be shops facing 21st Street intermingled with residential. In any case, I like the design.

Yeah, in the top pic it says there will be 15,000 sq ft of retail facing that side.

• 1 month later...

We have an official groundbreaking month, no date yet though.

- The 201 21 project on 21st Street received City approval and construction is now slated to begin in June of 2007. The entire project should take about 18 to 24 months to complete.

• 2 months later...

Nothing. They're supposed to start construction at the end of this month actually but i'm not worried if they're a little late. Seems like a pretty solid development. It is apartments after all and the developer is of a national level. I might go down tommorrow though to see if anything is going on.

• 3 weeks later...

Any reason for us to be skeptical?

None as far as I can tell. Even with a perfect project you're gonna have delays. About the only project in this area I remember starting on time was the Westin. Even Harbor Heights was late. It could be anything from trying to get the contractors in place to obtaining the necessary building permits. I believe roseland companies is a large enough company where they can finance the project themselves, so I don't see that really being an issue. I'd say there's more reason to give them the benefit of the doubt than be skeptical, they're not condos. If nothing is underway by mid fall, then i'll be concerned.

This project seems like a no-brainer to me. I have to believe the delays are normal ones.

I agree, and the developer said construction 'could' begin this summer. This doesn't strike me as a 'construction starting soon' or 'in the next few weeks' like the fiascos we've been through. Also keep in mind they're utilizing the existing structure, which is completely different than tearing the building down and starting from scratch, it has to be modified, so the engineering has to be redone and crosschecked before proceeding. I agree with vdogg, mid-fall, then we'll start raising red flags.

It's unfortunate as a result of Granby Tower and Hilton we're now going to question any development that delays, simply because of two poorly executed projects (thus far). Those two have worn our patience to virtually none; now that one has started, we'll hopefully build our tolerance back up.

Great article "West 21st Street awaits facelift" in the July 23 issue of Inside Business with prominent discussion of the 201 Twenty One project.

"The former Farm Fresh site is just a few months away from demolition, according to Daniel W. Aston, partner at Roseland Property Co."

"Aston said the company is finalizing drawings and should begin work on the site by late summer or early fall."

That is close enough to excite the optimists and vague enough to frustrate the worriers :) !

Archived