201 twenty-one progress

tuffsim

Vdogg, can you link us to this article?

If it's up. For some reason the site didn't update Friday afternoon. I'll check though.

Unfortunately it's not online yet. We'll probably have to wait until Monday or Tuesday before it updates. :( They usually update on Friday, I don't know what gives. :dontknow:

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I agree, and the developer said construction 'could' begin this summer. This doesn't strike me as a 'construction starting soon' or 'in the next few weeks' like the fiascos we've been through. Also keep in mind they're utilizing the existing structure, which is completely different than tearing the building down and starting from scratch, it has to be modified, so the engineering has to be redone and crosschecked before proceeding. I agree with vdogg, mid-fall, then we'll start raising red flags.

It's unfortunate as a result of Granby Tower and Hilton we're now going to question any development that delays, simply because of two poorly executed projects (thus far). Those two have worn our patience to virtually none; now that one has started, we'll hopefully build our tolerance back up.

Okay, three months later. Vdogg, any word, or any movement on dockets or planning commissions n some such?

Guys, lets not worry until there is reason too. The pilot just checked on all of these developments in the past week or so. If this project were in trouble you better believe they'd have it in big, bold, capital letters on the front page. The simple fact that nothing was mentioned about this project in todays article is a good sign to me.

Guys, lets not worry until there is reason too. The pilot just checked on all of these developments in the past week or so. If this project were in trouble you better believe they'd have it in big, bold, capital letters on the front page. The simple fact that nothing was mentioned about this project in todays article is a good sign to me.

I'm very confident in this project, just was curious if there had been any movement yet is all. Feels like mid fall to me :P

• 1 month later...

This project goes up before the design review committee for final review on Nov 14th. I'm pretty sure they had already gone through their final review some months ago. The fact that they're going again means that there has more than likely been another design change. Lets hope its a change for the better knowing how buildings in Norfolk seem to turn out whenever someone tries to make a good design better. <_< Needless to say, the project is still on the radar screen for those who were starting to get worried.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In the excitement yesterday we missed this tidbit of info.

Next month, the Galianis and Roseland Development begin construction on a $40

million dollar luxury apartment and retail development called 201 at 21 planned for the

old Sear

In the excitement yesterday we missed this tidbit of info.

Looks like the projects been renamed, and that construction starts next month.

Outstanding. If they're handing out shovels and pick axes, I'll gladly take one to help rip out that old ugly parking lot. This will be one of the biggest transformations we've seen on 21st Street. And there have been many.

Luxury apartments.... Is there that much of a luxury apartment market? I thought those that felt they deserve luxury felt that renters are the scum of the earth?

No, this is just another case of a stupid developer with likely equally stupid investors looking to build a stupid project in a stupid location at a stupid time.

This has nothing to do with wanting to be of service to the community by offering a nice apartment community in the solid Ghent/21st Street area of Norfolk, and expecting to make a respectable profit in return for the risk and the effort.

No, this is just another case of a stupid developer with likely equally stupid investors looking to build a stupid project in a stupid location at a stupid time.

This has nothing to do with wanting to be of service to the community by offering a nice apartment community in the solid Ghent/21st Street area of Norfolk, and expecting to make a respectable profit in return for the risk and the effort.

Not to mention that the developer is ugly and his car sucks! :shades:

Don't hate because I'm right.

I was so right about the housing collapse it's not funny.

And there is still plenty of pain to go.

As "home owners" are foreclosed on it could drive the rental market a bit, but many rental places have high credit standards that will conflict with the recent foreclosure activity on the credit records of the "home owners."

Plus there are groups of vultures lining up with many multiples of millions of dollars waiting to swoop in and buy up all the properties for pennies on the dollar. That is where the money is made. Not buying at an abnormal record high peak and holding for years praying to the sky wizard for mass inflation to ditch the albatross.

Don't hate because I'm right.

I was so right about the housing collapse it's not funny.

And there is still plenty of pain to go.

As "home owners" are foreclosed on it could drive the rental market a bit, but many rental places have high credit standards that will conflict with the recent foreclosure activity on the credit records of the "home owners."

Plus there are groups of vultures lining up with many multiples of millions of dollars waiting to swoop in and buy up all the properties for pennies on the dollar. That is where the money is made. Not buying at an abnormal record high peak and holding for years praying to the sky wizard for mass inflation to ditch the albatross.

In parts of the country, the rental market has improved. I have heard of developments that have been converted from condos to rentals.

Archived