201 twenty-one progress

tuffsim

I agree with all the most recent posts about 201-21. That building is a perfect example of what Norfolk needs more of to attract residents and business alike. I love this building, its location, and what it can potentially do for the CBD. The biggest downside to this project is that the apartments are OVERPRICED. No one wants to pay that much to live there, it's ridiculous!

That's why I am happy about the Rockefeller downtown, someone finally realized that Norfolk needs middle-income, affordable housing, which it severely lacks. I'm not against luxury and all, such as Harbor Heights, the Belmont and that whole Freemason district, but come on, make some affordable apartment projects, Norfolk!

On another note, I did not know that Portland fact, VaRider. Me and mlsimons were planning to go there this summer, but too much was going on. I can't wait to see this place, or just the Pac-NW in general.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I honestly believe if all of Norfolk had med.density apartment buildings like 201 Twenty ONe with wide sidewalks, ground floor retail, etc. a lot of people from the surrounding cities would move there.

And Norfolk already has a good bus system. Busses cover about the entire city and run every 5-30 minutes.

Oh and urbnlife, did you know Norfolk is more dense than Portland??

I did know that about Norfolk and Portland, but that is the overall average and Norfolk is much smaller land wise than Portland...Portland's outer area is nothing more than general suburbs. Plus we also have one of the largest urban forests just outside of downtown, which is really sweet to have. :camera:

It is good to know that about the bus system in Norfolk...I hate to admit that I am not aware of how their system works, but then again it was over 9 years ago that I was living in that metro and everything for me seemed like it was all about the car.

I will definitely agree the cost of these units are definitely what will hurt the renting of the units in this building.

I agree with all the most recent posts about 201-21. That building is a perfect example of what Norfolk needs more of to attract residents and business alike. I love this building, its location, and what it can potentially do for the CBD. The biggest downside to this project is that the apartments are OVERPRICED. No one wants to pay that much to live there, it's ridiculous!

That's why I am happy about the Rockefeller downtown, someone finally realized that Norfolk needs middle-income, affordable housing, which it severely lacks. I'm not against luxury and all, such as Harbor Heights, the Belmont and that whole Freemason district, but come on, make some affordable apartment projects, Norfolk!

On another note, I did not know that Portland fact, VaRider. Me and mlsimons were planning to go there this summer, but too much was going on. I can't wait to see this place, or just the Pac-NW in general.

haha, Yeah I'm definitely still tryin to make that happen...maybe for spring break or something.

• 5 months later...

I remember about a year ago when the prices came out and everyone freaked out...claiming that no one in the area would be able to afford these price. I know several folks who live here and none are in the military. One is a young restaurant owner with a store in Ghent. I just think that we often give this area less economic credit than its due. There are plenty of young guns making decent money...and I plan to be one once I graduate next year. Gotta love the new creative class.

• 1 month later...

Passing by here I can't help but wonder two things:

1. Where is the retail? When are we going to see SOMETHING in this building?

2. Where is the parking (and is that part of the reason there is no retail?)

Anyone with any insights (and not conjecture)?

1. Not sure about retail now. I heard about a year ago there was interest in this cafe that would be a coffee shop with pastries by day and then a wine bar by night. Also heard about plans for a salon and a tanning place (which makes no sense since you've got both of those across the street). Again this was about a year ago and every time I drive by I look to see if they've started anything.

2.There's a parking garage built into the structure but it's disguised. Don't think it has any effect on retail.

I remember about a year ago when the prices came out and everyone freaked out...claiming that no one in the area would be able to afford these price. I know several folks who live here and none are in the military. One is a young restaurant owner with a store in Ghent. I just think that we often give this area less economic credit than its due. There are plenty of young guns making decent money...and I plan to be one once I graduate next year. Gotta love the new creative class.

So how is the building doing? Is it 100% full? I don't personally know anyone who would pay those kind of prices. That's all.

The key to making good money around here is to get it from the gov't, get it from the poor people (they are really profitable), or work for companies that aren't here.

Where I've worked the older people tend to have 3000-6000 square feet homes that they've owned pre-bubble, or in a few cases bought during the bubble (and are stuck.) The young people either rent or bought overpriced stuff, and don't realize the difference in value between the years.

There are always some who will pay anything to be trendy, buying expensive clothes, purses, shoes, and apartments, to keep up appearance. I've met people who photoshop their paycheck to give the lender to qualify for a bigger loan to get a nicer car than what the lender would give. Their take is they are willing to put that much of their paycheck into their car, and they don't miss payments.

Different strokes for different folks.

I think it's a waste, and I think the younger people should give the middle finger to the people that build this stuff. But we've got a generation of people who don't look at value, and just say "how-much-a-month." Of course the main stream media worked with the real estate cartel to brainwash the masses as well.

• 4 weeks later...

People who can afford this wouldn't hang around you.

Lame. The question is, would I waste my time with them? Probably not.

If those places were doing so hot, they wouldn't be on craigslist saying this kind of stuff: "Move-in today and receive 2 MONTHS FREE RENT and a FREE 3 month membership to the Blocker Norfolk Family YMCA. Limited time offer. Restrictions apply."

That's Belmont at Freemason. People don't beg with free months of rent when their product is moving.

The building I live in is all trying to upgrade units, cause no one is looking to rent there.

So you can try to take cheap shots at me, but bring some facts to the table before I school you.

So you can try to take cheap shots at me, but bring some facts to the table before I school you.

I can't take a cheap shot at you, but you can take a cheap shot at Hampton Roads, its people, its businesses, and everything else? Give me a break.

I can't take a cheap shot at you, but you can take a cheap shot at Hampton Roads, its people, its businesses, and everything else? Give me a break.

Tell me where I'm wrong with what I've said regarding Hampton Roads.

It's my experiences. I've witnessed it in person. From the president of the second company I worked for dumping on the region, "This is Hampton Roads. Our company doesn't pay REAL salaries here." Or the IT worker who worked for a company in Texas but had a call center here in Norfolk. He said the executives at the company always referred to the operation here as the n----rs in Norfolk.

I've lived all my life in the area. I'm not bashing it from the outside. I can see the success of companies elsewhere.

I spend my own personal money trying to make it better (thousands and thousands this year alone.) But I don't pretend, and I don't think cheerleading is going to change things.

And yes, it does effect me. Heck, my job hasn't paid me a paycheck in over 6 weeks. Unemployment @ soon.

• 2 weeks later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/08/housing-market-swoons-rentals-boom-norfolk

201 Twenty One in Ghent, opened earlier this year. Daniel W. Aston, a partner with Roseland Properties, which developed 201 Twenty One, said the complex will be 95 percent leased by mid-September.

It seems like every new Ghent apartment complex always fills up quickly.. I'm impressed.. I love Ghent.

But I don't pretend, and I don't think cheerleading is going to change things.

I understand you situation. You don't want to come across as being naive to some of the realities of this region but I can definitely say cheer-leading tends to make people pay attention and can show a certain level of pride, which unfortunately the area lacks deeply.

In short; You will only receive what you put into the universe. If your way of not pretending is to focus on negatives then you will have plenty to complain about in every city on this globe but if you instead you focus on what is being done while still addressing the short-comings in an attempt to move past them(cheerlead) then you have a bright future ahead in this city

• 2 weeks later...

I understand you situation. You don't want to come across as being naive to some of the realities of this region but I can definitely say cheer-leading tends to make people pay attention and can show a certain level of pride, which unfortunately the area lacks deeply.

In short; You will only receive what you put into the universe. If your way of not pretending is to focus on negatives then you will have plenty to complain about in every city on this globe but if you instead you focus on what is being done while still addressing the short-comings in an attempt to move past them(cheerlead) then you have a bright future ahead in this city

Grand opening party is coming up for one of the other local buildings that has been open for over a year now.

Look at the balloons flailing in the wind.

Desperation from the "Realtors."

Five Guys construction is moving fast. The familiar red and white tiles can be seen from the street. I'd expect them to be open in the next 4-6 weeks unless the city holds them up with signage regulations.

Can't remember where I saw it, but they're having a "job fair" on Sept. 2nd I believe...

Archived