201 twenty-one progress

tuffsim

Don't hate because I'm right.

I was so right about the housing collapse it's not funny.

And there is still plenty of pain to go.

As "home owners" are foreclosed on it could drive the rental market a bit, but many rental places have high credit standards that will conflict with the recent foreclosure activity on the credit records of the "home owners."

Plus there are groups of vultures lining up with many multiples of millions of dollars waiting to swoop in and buy up all the properties for pennies on the dollar. That is where the money is made. Not buying at an abnormal record high peak and holding for years praying to the sky wizard for mass inflation to ditch the albatross.

You are a fine one to talk about hate.

QUOTE (Telmnstr @ Feb 6 2008, 03:21 PM)

I thought those that felt they deserve luxury felt that renters are the scum of the earth?

Not sure how your brain cells are wired to come up with that. Perhaps you can elaborate with love.

And, rant on about the housing collapse. I see no serious problems in Hampton Roads. Sure, new construction has slowed way down. This is called a down cycle. It will recover. The only ones hurting are those who don't own real estate for the long term or those who bought via stupid lending schemes when they should not have because they could not afford it. Prices are either stable or down just slightly. Interest rates are still historically GREAT and there is plenty of housing inventory to choose from. I work for a company that employs about 60 people in Norfolk, Richmond and Charlottesville. Salaries range from about $23K to $95K. No one is homeless. No one has been foreclosed on. No one has moved in the past two years.

If this is a housing collapse, wake me up when it is over.

And please let me know where I can find property in HR for "pennies on a dollar". I'm feeling vulturistic.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this project ever going to move forward? I would think there would be somewhat of a demand for more rentals since the way the housing market is, less people are buying, and more are renting right now. And there still is a lack of solid apartments in the area. Every time I go to the boot I just visualize how awesome this project would look with the commercial shops on the first floor and residences above.

There are two new signs on the property. Well there were, I wouldn't be surprised if they are on the roof of Dollar Tree and Taco Bell with all of this wind! Holy moly.

And rental property should grow in demand as people walk away from recently purchased, financially underwater homes. But foreclosures tend to hurt credit scores, and corporate landlords tend to run credit checks so many won't qualify.

Compared to what's there now, anything is an improvement.

yeah, we'll all agree to that. But that shouldn't be the mantra for all new projects. if that were the case, then we'd all be happy with the new westin/hilton design regardless of what it looks like.

yeah, we'll all agree to that. But that shouldn't be the mantra for all new projects. if that were the case, then we'd all be happy with the new westin/hilton design regardless of what it looks like.

Good point, but I wouldn't put this project in the class of the new convention/hotel. This is a fairly modest project that I just hope will blend nicely into the Palace Shops area. And maybe lead to a facelift of the shopping center across the street.

• 1 month later...

Wow.. that actually looks awesome, and definitely different from what I first imagined. They need to get the ball rollling and get rid of that eye sore of a building. Has anyone noticed the tree growing out of the chimney of the airtight building?

Here is the new rendering and thus the reason they have to go back before design review. Not too bad IMO. I do hope that this is the last change however and we can finally get this thing under construction.

201twentyone.jpg

Are they still converting the old department store or just knocking everything down? I'm also disappointed with this rendering. It just looks plain. The other renderings up until this point had a little spice. This is just completely watered down.

Are they still converting the old department store or just knocking everything down? I'm also disappointed with this rendering. It just looks plain. The other renderings up until this point had a little spice. This is just completely watered down.

Converting the store into a parking garage basically, renovating a small portion of the building, and putting new construction on the existing lot. By keeping the existing building they qualify for tax abatment ^_^

Any ideas on if they complete this and the other development on the other side of 21st street will they extend the NET service to that area?

I really hope so...I'm always so annoyed that the NET doesn't travel into Ghent. I ride my bike sometimes to work, but I've had to take the bus back when it stormed badly and it would have been nice to just catch the NET. Plus the bus dropped me off a few blocks from my apartment anyway - on Colonial - it would be nice if the NET went past the NARO.

I really hope so...I'm always so annoyed that the NET doesn't travel into Ghent. I ride my bike sometimes to work, but I've had to take the bus back when it stormed badly and it would have been nice to just catch the NET. Plus the bus dropped me off a few blocks from my apartment anyway - on Colonial - it would be nice if the NET went past the NARO.

It would be very cool if the NET went up to 21st and back down Colley. Now that they are closing garages and making people park all over, maybe they will revamp its route. But knowing Norfolk and HRT that would probably entail too much thinking and common sense.

It would be very cool if the NET went up to 21st and back down Colley. Now that they are closing garages and making people park all over, maybe they will revamp its route. But knowing Norfolk and HRT that would probably entail too much thinking and common sense.

Hmm, interesting comments. I really wish they would extend the NET. I think ridership could double and benefit existing and potential businesses enough to warrant the extra cost.

Hmm, interesting comments. I really wish they would extend the NET. I think ridership could double and benefit existing and potential businesses enough to warrant the extra cost.

This is not what the NET was intended for. The NET was initiated to help Norfolk manage parking. The only way Norfolk could entice people to park at Harbor Park and Harrison Opera House was to offer free shuttle service. I do not see them extending the NET to Ghent. That's what regular bus service is for. With HRT threatening to charge 50 cents per ride, the entire NET concept could be in jeopardy.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/02/hrt-propos...nt-new-services

This is veering way of topic but...

The NET was also intended as the Norfolk Electric Transit which is no longer is either. Regular bus service is a joke but that is another topic altogether. Norfolk could and should institute the NET as a link between Ghent and DT and they would probably see a huge benefit from it.

HRT is blowing smoke to get more money. 50c a ride? LOL that is a complete joke.

Archived