TCC Student Center Progress

tuffsim

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 years later...

Thought's? I liked the previous rendering better honestly. It looked more open, airy, and colorful. This rendering is a bit closer to TCC's general architecture though.

TCCstudentcenterupdate.jpg

I'm having a hard time figuring this rendering out. I like the curve, but I don't know where the street curves around there, so it makes me think it may not look as elegant as it could. It also looks to have a complete blank wall in the back, but I don't know if there are buildings next to it that the rendering isn't showing. This building needs to be seen in the context of the surroundings before passing judgement. I also want to know what they are going to do to spruce up the plaza it looks like they are creating in front. This rendering leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

I think it looks a lot better than the first rendering which to me looked like a giant cafeteria.

I like this new design much more, it would be interesting to see how it works in plan, within the context of the urban area to get a better feel for it.

I am guessing the current open space it will be built in part of, with the curve, will give it a more wrapped feel to make it really feel like it is a gathering place for the school.

This really is an impressive community college....usually something like this would be more of a satellite college from a main university.

• 1 month later...

Still can't get a good idea where this is. I thought when this was discuss before, it said it would be in the area directly next to the norva.

If i had to guess i would say yeah, directly next to the NorVa, with the curve facing the plaza and TCC building on the other side of the park, between Granby and Monticello. So with the curve facing out, and the back of the building next to the NorVa, still leaving room for the plaza on Monticello across from MacArthur and a path between Granby and Monticello also.

• 2 months later...
Fence around the site says "TCC Student Center. Opening 2010." With a rendering of the building.. There's also a tent up for the groundbreaking scheduled for tomorrow.. Exciting stuff :lol:
Yep, the contractor has it all ready to go it appears. Went & saw transformers 2 last night at mac center, and could no longer cut through that little park. Hope this one turns out well-

Not sure if I like the placement of it.

I like that little park.

If anything, they should have built it on the other side of granby on that little court yard. I personally like the little park and I just seeing issues complicating that area with the norva and the type of events it draws.

I like that little park.

If anything, they should have built it on the other side of granby on that little court yard. I personally like the little park and I just seeing issues complicating that area with the norva and the type of events it draws.

That park is basically a place for bums to sit down. It looks like you will still be able to walk through the area anyway.

I like that little park.

I said the same thing on Pilot Online, of course it's in moderation.

Kill anything green. The little park. The trees along Brambleton with the bLight rail line. The trees at town point park.

Also, is this going to cause tuition to go up?

Again, shows signs that Norfolk will take bids for anyone who will pay. Bars, federal court house, concert venue, a college, NO retail, and a hotel, blocks away from each other. You do not know if you check with your lawyer, attend a class, catch a concert, or get drunk. One thing is for sure, you can do it all on granby street, but shop....

Again, shows signs that Norfolk will take bids for anyone who will pay. Bars, federal court house, concert venue, a college, NO retail, and a hotel, blocks away from each other. You do not know if you check with your lawyer, attend a class, catch a concert, or get drunk. One thing is for sure, you can do it all on granby street, but shop....

Um.....isnt that what MacArthur center is for?????

It really isn't, especially when you keep in mind what they are offering and how it is offered. Monstrous (as I assume you mean by 933xxx of square feet) as it may seem, they do not offer an electronic store, or shopping after 9pm. Keep in mind, during regular shopping hours; it makes the rest of DT seem dead, especially on Granby. The problem with DT, well the main problem is that it does not support traffic it needs during the prime hours. Even with other malls in the area, you will have hundreds of strip mall stores surrounding them, the main reason why a lynnhaven and military circle mall looks busy, not from what

Archived