TCC Student Center Progress

tuffsim

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

If I'm not mistaken...no they're not. There will still be a greenway/sidewalk between student center and the Norva. That is, unless I was looking at the rendering wrong.

You looked at the rendering wrong, if you go to the construction company's site that was posted on the last page and look at the second image, you will see that this building butts up against the Norva. But honestly, if you think about it, the original intention was not to have the side wall of the Norva exposed to begin with. It was meant to be apart of an urban fabric, it just happens to be that there was some amazing bricklayers back in the day and even their cover up work was good. But this building looks like it will be a great urban addition to the area, as well as create a unique urban experience that should not be overlooked.

• 4 weeks later...

It's one big muddy over there. If i look at the NorVa right, i think there will be an alleyway between the student center and the NorVa, so the brickwork won't be totally covered up.

By the way, that's a giant drill in that picture, not a pile driver.

It is technically both. All pile drivers have attachments to pre-drill the hole that the Pile will be pounded into. The drill is either attached to the pile driver and swing out of the way will pile driving. Or they pre-drill all the holes, take the attachment off and start pile driving.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You must have been downtown when I was taking this pic around noonish-oneish today. I actually went to get some pics of waterside but i saw an easy shot of the TCC SC and had to take it. This pic shows the foundation and everything. They are getting there. I takes longer than youd imagine because it appears that it is a split level building. Once they start on the walls, itll go up quicker

DSC08117.jpg

also foundation work is often times some of the slowest part of building construction because so much needs to be done at that stage, but it doesnt look like much is changing because nothing is rising yet. The building itself should go up rather quickly.

to add to this, weather sometimes has an effect on the schedule for a foundation, if it is too cold or too wet, that sometimes can delay things.

also foundation work is often times some of the slowest part of building construction because so much needs to be done at that stage, but it doesnt look like much is changing because nothing is rising yet. The building itself should go up rather quickly.

to add to this, weather sometimes has an effect on the schedule for a foundation, if it is too cold or too wet, that sometimes can delay things.

to cold and wet.... that doesnt sound like the past month at all.... cough cough

Great photo. Thanks for sharing with us.

In addition to the weather, it is a very tight site. The only access is from Granby Street at the corner of the site. Deliveries have to be scheduled very carefully. On days that they are pouring concrete, there is a ballet of concrete trucks queuing up, entering the site, emptying, washing down, and leaving the site. It really takes a lot of coordination. Even if they wanted to access the site from the other side, they would have had to contend with light-rail construction on Monticello.

Thanks for the picture! From street level you it looks like nothing has been done.. but the semi-aerial clearly shows progress. This may be one of those projects like Fort Norfolk Plaza.. where as soon as vertical construction begins.. a couple months later the project is complete.

I have a question, though.

Will the Student Center have any retail space on the ground floor?

no retail space. my question is that I remember when I went to the design charet that they had, they planning on putting the loading dock right next to the Norva... I hope they thought about the locations of the electric poles for the light rail :o that would just be inconvenient

meh, that isnt really a big deal, besides it looks like it will be inset in the building. Doubtful there will be any interference with the trains...also, seeing that they need a loading dock of some kind, that means they have two options for its location, you have to keep that in mind when they decided to put it where it is.

Archived