TCC Student Center Progress

tuffsim

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These steel framed buildings seem to move much faster than concrete one's like WFC.

Arts HQ, Fort Norfolk Plaza, Belmont, etc. all have been constructed very fast.

I like the inflll development and this will be an improvement to the park for union mission "residents."

Also it wiill create a more urban effect on both Granby and Monticello.

• 2 weeks later...

Just left downtown... I'm shocked at how quickly this building was framed. It seems to be about 90% framed.

Steel framing usually goes up extremely quick because there is no pouring process like there is with concrete...but keep in mind, this building will still take as long to build, it will just be more of an internal construction once it is fully framed...but that is the joy of steel framing, you get to watch the building grow quickly rather than having two floors poured per week.

I said the same thing. But now I wish they added some space for ground level retail seeing as though its that tall.

Do we know for sure there isnt going to be anything along the Granby side? It looks like a small coffee shop or college cafe could easily work itself in along that side, but that is just guessing.

I went by there the other day. It is amazing how much density that one little building adds to Monticello.

I agree, I went by there today and thought the same thing. It is making me wish they incorporated some ground level retail now though considering the mark it is making on the street.

Do we know for sure there isnt going to be anything along the Granby side? It looks like a small coffee shop or college cafe could easily work itself in along that side, but that is just guessing.

I am not certain that anyone has a full plan, only a purpose document and rendering so I guess it is still possible. You would have thought that someone would have made note of that.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not too bad for a modern building, still compared to the art deco and precursor styles it does look rather plain on Granby side.

I tend to be more concerned with urban form and massing than architectural details, so I am very happy with this building as infill development along Granby and a major student anchor in the heart of downtown. Investment in the student population could very well be the best thing for other elements of downtown; like retail and affordable eateries.

I do wish the windows had more detailing. However I'm still very happy how this building sits along Granby. There are a few more infill blocks to go. I was in a few city meetings where the renderings for the new "Rockefeller" project was being presented (the old union mission), the company has purchase the adjacent vacant lot directly behind (North) of the union mission in order to build a very modern extension of the apartments. Also they are not dedicating any of the property to parking, which is a good idea, and instead establishing an agreement with the city parking lot directly across Brooke St.

I love infill development!!!!!!!!!

Rant Over!

-matt

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived