Virginia Arts Festival Progress

tuffsim

From the Supplement to the Mayor's State of the City address:

Very few details here...

"To help ensure the long-term financial stability of the major performing arts groups, a regional organization called Hampton Roads Arts Trust has been formed with the goal of raising $30 million"

"Virginia Arts Festival: Preliminary Conceptual Study"

DSC01343.JPG

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember hearing about the Art trust in the Pilot... just didn't know there was a building attached to it. I guess we don't have any information where this will be located at?... if it is built at all (dependent on fundraising???)

I wonder where this one is... doesn't look like it will be downtown, which is a shame. It would be great to have such a visible arts presence downtown. I'm really glad they're getting their own space though - this really establishes the permanence and magnitude of the festival.

The Downtown Plaza, perhaps.!? :unsure:

That would actually be a very good spot for it, right across from Chrysler Hall, However, isn't there more land by the Chrysler Museum and Opera House, I could see it fitting in very nicely over there too, helping to provide a renewal for the area also.

Speaking of that area, wasn't there a plan to reroute some of those streets and create a big pedestrian plaza between the Chrysler Museuam and the Harrison opera house? I thought that sounded like a great idea - there are some neat things in that area, but it's not very pretty overall, what with that gas station and the awkward traffic patterns. I think this building could definitely enhance the area.

Yeah, i've looked at the map, and I'm pretty sure this thing will be built in the vicinity of the chrysler museum of art and the other opera houses. We are well on our way to an arts district. Now if we could level some buildings and build some more upscale shopping, this area across brambleton will be an arts destination. :D

You might want to talk with vdogg on that. He seems to have some inside scoop on that whole area. ;)

Alright Vdogg, come clean. Your gonna give me a heart attack waiting for this news. A little leak never hurt anybody right. Heck, the gent south tower was leaked before Fraim's address. :ph34r:

Didn't I tell you guys it would end up in Ghent!

Is that area considered Ghent. I consider Ghent everything from Lewwellyn and over. However, I guess it could be on the West Side of Lewellyn. I would consider that area more of downtown then Ghent considering the trashy area surrounding it.

Virginia Arts Festival planning to build a home downtown :D

The Virginia Arts Festival hopes by late 2007 to be promoting its performances with giant images emblazoned across its sleek new headquarters.

After 11 years of setting up in city-owned spaces, the regional festival is raising money to build a splashy home of its own. The 10,000-square-foot building will be in the 100 block of W. Olney Road, between Granby Street and Wilson Avenue.....

^^^^ It looks like they plan on a story for each announced project. Look out next for a story on Kotarides tower. :)

"The architect was Burrell Saunders, with CMSS Architects of Virginia Beach. He said he wanted to design a home that celebrates a festival that is gaining national renown." CMSS did this? :huh: Good job.

I like the site for this, this could really help that area get the jumpstart that it needs.

It kind of has that Zaha Hadid feeling to it. The interior of this building what will be what really makes or breaks it.

this is who Zaha is and this is the building that this arts building reminds me of.

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&h...cinnati&spell=1

• 1 year later...

Remember this project?

Virginia Arts Festival

newdevvaartsfest.jpg

Project Description: "The 10,000-square-foot Clay and Jay Barr Education Center would house a rehearsal studio and an office for the festival staff." The project will be built on the site of the Cofer Building on Olney Road. Ground Breaking will occur this summer.

It's on the August 6th design review docket for "preliminary review". Good to see another long dormant project moving forward. If we keep dusting off old projects like this, i'm gonna start to have hope for the Hoffler Tower.

post-769-1186255617_thumb.jpg

East Freemason? Bank/Charlotte Streets? I don't know, vdogg. Bank and Charlotte puts it right next to the future Wachovia Center, not the Olney location. Honestly, given the choice I would rather see them build this at the original site north of Brambleton to help kick off the development they're looking for there.

Archived