Virginia Arts Festival Progress

tuffsim

East Freemason? Bank/Charlotte Streets? I don't know, vdogg. Bank and Charlotte puts it right next to the future Wachovia Center, not the Olney location. Honestly, given the choice I would rather see them build this at the original site north of Brambleton to help kick off the development they're looking for there.

Hmm..You're right. Why would they switch locations like that? This makes me think that they've chosen to go on that parcel of land that tomj had set aside for, well, something like this. It would make sense I guess but I'd rather see it at the Olney location, . This definitely merits more investigation. I think I have a thread for this floating around somewhere, I'll have to dig it up and move that stuff there.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, I'm starting to think I stumbled across a new development. It just wouldn't make sense for them to move there, especially after reading this:

After 11 years of setting up in city-owned spaces, the regional festival is raising money to build a splashy home of its own. The 10,000-square-foot building will be in the 100 block of W. Olney Road, between Granby Street and Wilson Avenue.

Mystery solved. :)

Hey Tom,

I asked this earlier but, I probably got overlooked...

What's the story on the concert hall/symphony expantion as part of this development that was mentioned in the Pilot's story?

Thanks for you time,

Metalman

Actually, we have reserved a site within the project that can accomodate a 1700 seat, "shoebox" style, music performance hall. However, it will not be constructed as a part of the project. The symphony board would have to lead and successfully complete a major fundraising drive to raise a large portion of the construction cost, and then work with the city to get it built. This reserved site of about a half-acre is another reason why we could not incorporate more retail into the project, but I do believe it will be good for the city and our project to have the possibility for the symphony to find a permanent and better home.

Which all begs the question, so what is actually going on with the Clay Barr center. It would be nice to get an update about this.

I remember the comment about a performance space from our previous discussions, but I thought that was just pie in the sky. It would be terrific to get a new concert space out of this project, especially something made with the Virginia Symphony in mind. They're a terrific group and they deserve a place of their own. Perhaps a new hall will help with their attendance figures.

I remember the comment about a performance space from our previous discussions, but I thought that was just pie in the sky. It would be terrific to get a new concert space out of this project, especially something made with the Virginia Symphony in mind. They're a terrific group and they deserve a place of their own. Perhaps a new hall will help with their attendance figures.

that discussion is what vdogg quoted from the Wachovia tower thread.

What the heck does the arts fest need year round office space, and that much of it for? I walk past their current space... and let me tell you, they are sitting in some prime space (although perhaps in a high flood risk zone). Seems kind of bizzare to me that a few yearly concerts could require so much overhead.

What the heck does the arts fest need year round office space, and that much of it for? I walk past their current space... and let me tell you, they are sitting in some prime space (although perhaps in a high flood risk zone). Seems kind of bizzare to me that a few yearly concerts could require so much overhead.

They put on a lot of plays, operas, and ballets throughout the year.

They put on a lot of plays, operas, and ballets throughout the year.

Organizing such an immense undertaking is almost overwhelming. Coordinating bookings of artists is demanding work. They need all the space and help they can get.

HR is very lucky to have such a performing arts festival. It puts the area in the National/International spotlight -- sort of like the famous Spoletto in Charleston.

The Symphony will need a new home at some point. Chrysler is so large and acoustically tame that it really works better for amplified concerts. I don't know if it can be modified in a cost effective way to yield about 1700 seats and also deliver great sound, but it's worth looking into, given the cost of everything.

• 4 months later...

Virginia Arts Festival building moves forward.

The new home for the Virginia Arts Festival's proposed $3.5 million headquarters has shifted from Olney Road to Bank Street, placing it closer to concert halls but also to a historic building.

Festival officials want to build a 12,000-square-foot building of glass, stone and concrete to house administrative offices, a box office and rehearsal studios.

City and arts officials said they are excited by the synergy the building would create being located across the street from Chrysler Hall and adjacent to a site the city is eyeing for a future performing arts center.

Missed in your quote is the recommendation against approval by the Design Review Board, and opponents lining up against it, Freemason district people, NPA and others. They're probably going to have to find another location...again...

Everyone else is recommending it for approval. I think the City wants it there, and we all know they don't listen.

Isn't this right next to Wachovia Center? I'm having some real trouble placing this because the proposed symphony hall is also along bank street. Honestly, with a 22-story highrise going right there I don't know why they're worried about a small arts building ruining historic value. Go to London, they have old mixed with new all over that city and they're dong just fine. At least nothing is being torn down. I do question however why they decided to move it from its Olney road location. They're missing a prime opportunity to extend development across Brambleton.

Missed in your quote is the recommendation against approval by the Design Review Board, and opponents lining up against it, Freemason district people, NPA and others. They're probably going to have to find another location...again...

The design review board is an arm of the planning commission. They make recommendations to the planning commission but the commission carries the real weight when making the final recommendation to city council. There are certain design characteristics that the board reviews based on strict guidelines put forth for the East Freemason Historic district. A building falling outside of those guidelines pretty much gets an automatic rejection. The final say, as always, rests with city council. The city obviously wants the structure there so that's where it will be.

They have a map in the newspaper. It will literally be right across bank street from where the new symphony hall will be located. I think it is a great location honestly, though given the choice i'd still prefer Olney. The article talked of zoning issues but can't the city just change the zoning if they wish?

I agree. It's a great location and the design is far better than some of the neighboring structures. Some of these scolds on the design review board need some perspective.

Isn't that right by those hideous town homes behind the mall? I mean really, it's low rise and a good material quality. What are these people complaining about?

Isn't that right by those hideous town homes behind the mall? I mean really, it's low rise and a good material quality. What are these people complaining about?

The issue is that the Hampton Roads Center of Commerce that fronts St Paul's is a registered historic building as being Norfolk Academy's school building in the 1840s. It's designed to look like a Greek building. If this building is the only issue, i say screw em and build it. It's a wasted space anyways, a giant grass lot and parking lot in downtown that has no use for a park. It will border Chrysler Hall and the new symphony hall in Wachovia Center. For some reason i was thinking this was on the other end of Freemason.

The issue is that the Hampton Roads Center of Commerce that fronts St Paul's is a registered historic building as being Norfolk Academy's school building in the 1840s. It's designed to look like a Greek building. If this building is the only issue, i say screw em and build it. It's a wasted space anyways, a giant grass lot and parking lot in downtown that has no use for a park. It will border Chrysler Hall and the new symphony hall in Wachovia Center. For some reason i was thinking this was on the other end of Freemason.

I agree...historical "areas" shouldn't get an infinite buffer zone against future development. It creates a domino effect where every building then is designed to look historical or fit in so that it doesn't disrupt the historical significance of nearby buildings. New York has tons of historical buildings and churches right next to modern buildings and skyscrapers. This was also the issue with the new apartments going up near the other end of Freemason by the YMCA. Other cities find a balance and compromise in zoning issues such New York with St Patrick's Cathedral.

1408611-St_Patricks_Cathedral-New_Y.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived