Sign in to follow this  
weill

Roanoke Daily News Briefs

Solid Waste Collection Schedule Will Change to Accommodate Fourth of July Holiday

City offices will be closed on Tuesday, July 4, for the

Independence Day holiday. As a result, the following schedule will

be in effect for collection of trash, bulk/brush items and recycling

during that week.

Residential Refuse

Monday will be on schedule, Tuesday through Thursday (including,

recycling, bulk and brush) will be delayed one day.

Central Business District

Monday, July 3, through Saturday, July 8 - on schedule.

For more information, call 853-2000.

I'm sure most of us know all about this, but for any visitors to our site, I thought it would be good to mention the carbon monoxide leak at Roanoke College. Over 100 people were hospitalized and one person died. The autopsy confirms the cause of death as carbon monoxide poisoning.roanoke times

I'm sure most of us know all about this, but for any visitors to our site, I thought it would be good to mention the carbon monoxide leak at Roanoke College. Over 100 people were hospitalized and one person died. The autopsy confirms the cause of death as carbon monoxide poisoning.roanoke times

Just curious, McLaw (also sad about the fatality). But why is Roanoke College in the City of Salem? I mean, wouldn't the name "Salem" college be more appropriate?

Roanoke College was founded before the civil war (named after the river or maybe the county). The city of Roanoke wasn't founded until 1882. Nowadays, this causes a lot of confusion, because many people, after hearing that someones from Roanoke, reply that they've been there before, but really they've only been to Salem, at Roanoke College. They have no idea that theres actually a 'real' city just a few miles to the east, and assume Salem is Roanoke.

Roanoke Police Department to Hold Ribbon Cutting for Phase Two of New Building

The Roanoke Police Department will hold a ribbon cutting for phase

two of the new police building on July 25, 2006 at 11:30 a.m. The

event will be held on the back steps of the building, located at 348

Campbell Ave., SW. A reception and tour will follow. Tours of the

building will be held for the public on July 25 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Roanoke Police Department Redesigns Police Cruiser

The Roanoke Police Department is changing the look of its police

cruisers. The department will gradually redesign 110 vehicles. The

paint scheme will change from blue and white to black and white. The

vehicles will also display new graphic designs. Studies conducted in

other jurisdictions show that black and white police vehicles are

more visible in the community.

Source: MyRoanoke

Roanoke College was founded before the civil war (named after the river or maybe the county). The city of Roanoke wasn't founded until 1882. Nowadays, this causes a lot of confusion, because many people, after hearing that someones from Roanoke, reply that they've been there before, but really they've only been to Salem, at Roanoke College. They have no idea that theres actually a 'real' city just a few miles to the east, and assume Salem is Roanoke.

I'd also add that, until the late '60s, Salem was a town in Roanoke County (the county courthouse & such remained well into the '80s, if my feeble memory is correct), so it was really no different than the University of Richmond not being in Richmond.

Looks as if Allegiant Air is happy with its service to Roanoke, as they will now double the number of weekly flights from Roanoke to Orlando. :yahoo:

Roanoke Police Department Investigates Robbery

The Roanoke Police Department is investigating a robbery that

occurred on July 25, 2006. Officers were called at 4:10 a.m. to the

Days Inn in the 500 block of Orange Ave., NE. The clerk stated three

males walked into the motel and demanded money. One of the suspects

brandished a firearm. The suspects obtained an undisclosed amount of

money and fled on foot. No one was hurt. No arrests have been

made. All of the suspects are described as black males, who were

wearing blue jeans. One of the suspects was wearing a white t-shirt

and a red bandana over his face, the other two were wearing dark

t-shirts and blue bandanas over their faces.

Source: Roanoke Police

Mill Mountain Zoo Tiger, Ruby, has died

One of the most recognized animals at the Mill Mountain Zoo has died. Ruby the tiger passed away today. The health of the tiger, believed to be 19 years old, was a concern for some time. She had arthritis in her left shoulder, as well as hearing loss. About two years ago, urine samples began showing Ruby had kidney insufficiency, which caused protein loss, decreased appetite and weight loss.

The Roanoke City Government is reducing its environmental impact though higher efficiency products, including hybrid engines, biodiesel fuel, low energy consuming lights and waterless urinals. Full story here.

This isn't quite in Roanoke, but the visual is interesting. Check out the highway signs that fell onto I81, blocking both northbound lanes. story

Edited by mclawsdrive

Uh oh! Shades of Richmond's City Hall which had to be reclad when its former marble facing began to loosen. Here's hoping the recladding in Roanoke looks as good.

How tall is the structure?

Roanoke's murder rate lowest in at least 4 decades! Only 4 homicides in 2007. Just thought Richmond shouldn't get all the glory for their total of 55. Roanoke would have to have over 25 murders to have the same 'low' rate Richmonders are celebrating. So how bad is violent crime in Roanoke? Not bad at all, I'd say.

story

One thing to ponder, the total doesn't reflect death by cop. I'm pretty sure 3 people were killed this year by Roanoke city police.