The Cigar Factory

phonetically sound

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have any info on who purchased the Old Cigar Factory on E. Bay Street? I heard that it sold in April 2005 for almost $15 MM... I didn't know if anyone knew what was happening to it. Did it have something to do with Johnson and Wales when they were in Charleston?

Yeah, formally the Port City Center, the building housed (and still houses the remnants) of Johnson and Wales. It was owned by Ziff Properties, they sold it and at that time it was renamed the Cigar Factory. They chased the Charleston Law School to replace Johnson and Wales but were unsuccessful. As far as I know now, the building is being marketed for office space.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I saw an article just the other day that said that the Cigar Factory on E. Bay Street will be converted to residential lofts. I think that is a great idea and will be great for the neighborhood. When I used to live in Charleston I was kind of surprised that hadn't happened yet. I think Johnston & Wales was still int he building at that time though.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't we at least remove the hideous smokestacks, please? Those aren't exactly aesthetically appealing. :D

Chas native, those smokestacks are not hideous at all! They are quite handsome and striking, and add loads of character to the site. :wub:

What needs to go are the unsympathetic 20th-century additions in the front of the building. Also, I hope all the original fenestration will be restored, as in many other mill or factory restorations.

I am so excited that this old industrial site is getting some much-needed attention!

• 1 year later...

http://cigarfactorycharleston.com/

Wow. AND they kept the smokestack. This is the place right at the base of the Charleston side of the bridges.

What I'm trying to find now is - what do these cost?

Without having seen any prices yet I'm guessing about 400K for the small ones (1BR) and 1mil or so for the big ones with varying prices in between. I am sure they are marketing the hell out of this place in Ohio and the Northeast.

I haven't lived in CHS for several years, though I try and keep up with real estate there, so I could be wrong. Still, will be interesting to see the real numbers.

Now, about the place: big windows, exposed brick, big gym, "club room" (private bar), garden, pool, rooftop bar, retail. Real facilities, not just typical apartment complex crap. Good location. I'm impressed, but maybe the fancy website is taking me in? Wouldn't be the first time!

http://cigarfactorycharleston.com/

Wow. AND they kept the smokestack. This is the place right at the base of the Charleston side of the bridges.

What I'm trying to find now is - what do these cost?

Without having seen any prices yet I'm guessing about 400K for the small ones (1BR) and 1mil or so for the big ones with varying prices in between. I am sure they are marketing the hell out of this place in Ohio and the Northeast.

I haven't lived in CHS for several years, though I try and keep up with real estate there, so I could be wrong. Still, will be interesting to see the real numbers.

Now, about the place: big windows, exposed brick, big gym, "club room" (private bar), garden, pool, rooftop bar, retail. Real facilities, not just typical apartment complex crap. Good location. I'm impressed, but maybe the fancy website is taking me in? Wouldn't be the first time!

Wow that looks really good. I can't imagine they'll have any problems getting those plans approved by the city. That could really help that area out a lot. The only potential problem I could see, is that a lot of people might not want to have a view that looks right into the operations of the Port Terminals there along E Bay.

Thanks for merging the two topics.

Prices that I can find seem to be about 350 for the small units to 1mil for the biggest.

Looks like a good investment, but I have lots of questions which I'm tying to get answered. Mainly - when will it be ready?

• 2 weeks later...

We have an update for this project. The Cigar Factory will become luxury residential condominiums and high-end retail space

The project will have 66 condo units. 20% sold so far. The units start in price at around $380,000 and climb to $1.6 million. Timeframe for completion is next fall.

"The development company is including space for a high-end restaurant. Along East Bay, retail space is expected to feature a coffee shop, a dry cleaner and

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The new story in the CHS paper about another luxury condo project (near Vendue / Waterfront Park) made me think of this. I see their website (Cigar Factory) is offline now. Well and truly over now, or what? The concept seemed good, perhaps the timing wasn't..

Archived