Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JDC

Books on urban design, anti-sprawl, city development, etc.

I've recently finished Suburban Nation and I'm almost through The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs. I'd certainly recommend both.

Any suggestions?

I've recently finished Suburban Nation and I'm almost through The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs. I'd certainly recommend both.

Any suggestions?

"The Regional City", "The Next American Metropolis", "How Cities Work", "Cities without Suburbs", and if you're into transportation at all, "Still Stuck in Traffic", although it is very boring.

Suburban Nation is an excellent read. I also enjoyed James Howard Kunstler's new book, The Long Emergency. It's a bit gloomy, but is worth reading. It's mostly about oil dependency, but touches on urban design and suburban sprawl throughout. Edge City is a little out of date, but it is good as well. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I would recommend two of Roberta Gratz's books:

The Living City : How America's Cities Are Being Revitalized by Thinking Small in a Big Way

Cities Back from the Edge : New Life for Downtown

Both we excellent.

Edge City by Garreau and Variations on a Theme Park by Sorkin. Ones a little too rosy and the other is a little too pessimistic. Read em both and draw your own 'fair and balanced' conclusions.