Green Hills News

smeagolsfree

Just try to keep everyone up to date on a few things going on around town. I thought maybe someone would have posted on the new retirement ctr in Green Hills. Also the Hill Lifestyle Center is well underway.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...8/1197/COUNTY01

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...3/1197/COUNTY01

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just try to keep everyone up to date on a few things going on around town. I thought maybe someone would have posted on the new retirement ctr in Green Hills. Also the Hill Lifestyle Center is well underway.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...8/1197/COUNTY01

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...3/1197/COUNTY01

That H. G. Hill development is EXCITING. It will be so great for the residents of Green Hills to experience the urban alternative to malls. I only wish there was a residential component to the Center, but this is certainly better than nothing! And better than more of the same, for that matter! I lived in Green Hills from 2000 to 2005, so this is my haunt and I am thrilled about it finally getting a core.

The retirement complex, however, looks to be another tragic episode in the cultural saga of Old Folks' Storage. If it were tied into a pedestrian-friendly bit of fabric, the elderly who can afford to occupy the place could at least still participate in the civic realm. As it stands, however--marooned in a sea of surface parking--the rich and incapacitated will be ferried back and forth between their island and the Green Hills Mall on Tuesdays...and then stranded the rest of time.

It is the poor and elderly, however, who are truly left out of the mix in most American fabric...too old to drive, too old to be an active citizen. At least these people at this new Facility will apparently have their own public transportation network to tie their tower island into the Rest of the World. Old people rule, and we should live in a public realm where we interact them more often.

Maybe the H. G. Hill Center will provide us with that, if the old folks' bus would be willing to drop a few off.

I think you will see more of a residential mid-rise component going into this area. I don't know anything for sure or have not heard any rumors, but this area has a lot to offer and there are a few neighborhoods in that part of town with homes that were built in the 50's. Most of those homes are nothing spectacular and I see more of them being bought up with condo and apartment developments going on them.

Bedford Commons is being developed just a few blocks away from the HG Hill Center and that development went where a number of those older homes were. They were just simple 1 level, 2 or 3 bedroom homes.

Much the same thing is happening off of Woodmont near Harding, although many of those homes are nicer and larger. Developers are coming in and tearing down one to three homes in a row and building a 10 unit condo. I don't fully agree with the logic of it all but its going to be a fact of life here as real estate prices go up and people want to make a very large profit off of their home.

Much the same thing is happening off of Woodmont near Harding, although many of those homes are nicer and larger. Developers are coming in and tearing down one to three homes in a row and building a 10 unit condo. I don't fully agree with the logic of it all but its going to be a fact of life here as real estate prices go up and people want to make a very large profit off of their home.

Warning: Tidbit of marginally useful information:

Much the same thing happened in Los Angeles in the 1950s and 1960s. During that time a lot of pre-war houses were toppled for smallish apartment buildings (You can still see many of those in the west LA area). They were dubbed "dingbats" for their design around a central courtyard. I believe the TV show Melrose Place took place in one of these small complexes. Frankly, I saw the show only once.

Archived