Ruth Chris Eatery and Renaissance Hotel @ North Hills

Tayfromcarolina

The last time I went on a clothes buying shopping spree (not counting going out of business sales or Goodwill) I spent alot of money at Structure, yes Structure. Otherwise I might pick up a shirt/pair of pants at random big boxes *cough cough* if I happen to think about it while I'm there. Oddly enough I was more fashion conscious 5ish years ago (ah to be in that 18-22 age range again) when I couldn't really afford to be, and now that I'm to the point where I could shop at the trendier stores I really have no interest anymore. I'm not very fashion oriented lol.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. Maybe for the bland, non-fasionable people. Mostly everybody I see in Crabtree are poor and middleclass. North Hills is just not for my demographic, plus I just think the clothes there are weak. :D
There are a lot of bland, non-fashionable people. That's why there's Kohl's. :lol:

Seriously though, where are the poor people shopping in Crabtree? Sears is the only store in there that's consistently affordable. The rest are pretty much only accessable at clearance time.

In that regard, North Hills is a little better. There's always a sale at Penney's (insert "Airplane" joke here) and Target is pretty cheap on everything. The boutiques at North Hills are pretty expensive, but they're balanced by places like Omega Sports and Foot Locker. Foot Locker is dirt cheap on basic apparel, by the by.

The last time I went on a clothes buying shopping spree (not counting going out of business sales or Goodwill) I spent alot of money at Structure, yes Structure. Otherwise I might pick up a shirt/pair of pants at random big boxes *cough cough* if I happen to think about it while I'm there. Oddly enough I was more fashion conscious 5ish years ago (ah to be in that 18-22 age range again) when I couldn't really afford to be, and now that I'm to the point where I could shop at the trendier stores I really have no interest anymore. I'm not very fashion oriented lol.
Damn Mike, Structure? Go to the mall. Now! LOL

Alright, my fit is over. I get your point about not being as fashion-oriented as you get older. I hit a bland spot in my mid 20s, but now since I have to write about it for the paper, I find myself shopping again. I don't buy much fashion though. This slim fit, low-rise garbage being pushed as fashion does not look good on me at all.

It's not really because of the newnes. It's just a little too posh for me and my budget. The stores don't really cater to my lifestyle. Crabtree is my #1 shopping destination in the area though. North hills will really become apart of the more upscale unlimited budget crowd.

I have to agree with Steven, I don't see how you think North Hills is too posh? JC Penney... Target... too posh??

I have to agree with Steven, I don't see how you think North Hills is too posh? JC Penney... Target... too posh??

Sounds kind of low budget to me. I think what Steven is saying is that there are many indy shops in there and typically those places are quite pricey.

Steven poor folks do shop at Crabtree. Trust me. The largest consumers happen to be people making under $20,000 dollars a year. Also, i would just like to say is not geared toward a wide demographic like Crabtree is. It's just the truth.
Maybe you're right about Crabtree, but what are the poor folks buying?

North Hills isn't the most inclusive shopping center in the Triangle, but it's not snooty either. It's somewhere in the middle.

Sounds kind of low budget to me. I think what Steven is saying is thattheir are many indy shops in there and typically those places are quite pricey.
Some of the boutiques in North Hills are quite pricey, but there are some chaeper stores there too.

Maybe you're right about Crabtree, but what are the poor folks buying?

North Hills isn't the most inclusive shopping center in the Triangle, but it's not snooty either. It's somewhere in the middle.

Some of the boutiques in North Hills are quite pricey, but there are some chaeper stores there too.

ah. http://www.northhillsraleigh.com/Shopping-Category.asp store list.

Watching Cameron Village and North Hills through the years has been interesting. CV was IT for a long time. Then in the 70's NH started taking the locally-owned boutique business until they brought in Limited and Gap lines to the point that NH had nothing unique about it. CV flourished through the 80's and 90's. New we are seeing a swing back to NH as CV is bringing in Victoria's Secret, Bath & Body Works, Pier One, and other big chains. NH seems to be the snootier of the two.

Believe me, JCP is a necessary evil in the plan. If it weren't for their long term lease pre-reconstruction, they wouldn't be there. They were the only thing that drive traffic into NH for 10 good years.

I appreciate North Hills, and if I'm meeting anyone who lives out that way, I usually meet them there. NH's Target has become the default location for ITBers and the movie theater is a good close option as well.

That being said, all the "broader demographic" stores are pushed out to the edges -- JC Penny, Target, Total Wine, Cingular, Storehouse (borderline snooty, but is really good quality for cost), etc., while the "snooty" stores like Porto, that expensive toy shop, Giorgios shoe store, Jollys, Uniquities, the mens clothing store, the Symphony store, and expensive restaurants fill in the gaps. The shops under the Alexan have only a slight pedestrian connection to the rest of north hills, not that 75%+ of the population could afford to shop there. The hotel and Ruth's Chris will only push the upscale stuff up higher. If the stores are successful, could they push out Target and JC Pennys and bring in Neimun Marcus, Saks, Nordstrom, etc.?

There *was* a Structure (now Express Men) in the "old" North Hills, near the Six Forks entrance near Bruggers, another store I hoped would come back with the redevelopment, now it doesn't look like it. The only holdover is Andys pizza, and even it seems to have changed with the extreme makeover.

Ironically, Cameron Village's "working class" JC Penneys was where Bennie + Cecil, etc. are now, and Thalheimers (sp?) was leveled to put in the Harris Teeter so demographic concentration is always changing. As "bad" as Cameron Village is, I'd take Village Deli, Village Draft House, and Great Outdoor Provioners over McAllister's Deli, Fox and the Hound, and REI any day, but that's just me.

That being said, all the "broader demographic" stores are pushed out to the edges -- JC Penny, Target, Total Wine, Cingular, Storehouse (borderline snooty, but is really good quality for cost), etc., while the "snooty" stores like Porto, that expensive toy shop, Giorgios shoe store, Jollys, Uniquities, the mens clothing store, the Symphony store, and expensive restaurants fill in the gaps. The shops under the Alexan have only a slight pedestrian connection to the rest of north hills, not that 75%+ of the population could afford to shop there. The hotel and Ruth's Chris will only push the upscale stuff up higher. If the stores are successful, could they push out Target and JCPenney and bring in Neimun Marcus, Saks, Nordstrom, etc.?
Barring something drastic, JCPenney and Target aren't moving. Their stores do too well there not to stay. Target is in an anchor position that almost nobody but them could get to work out.

The "broader demographic" stroes tend to be larger, so they are placed on the edges so that the boutiques (which pay higher rents) can have choice positions.

does JC penny have a lease? if so how long? I think JC Penney and Saks should switch places honestly. They would both do better, IMO. With the upscale feel NH has, it just seems kind of random and out of place to see the big JCPenney, like it is some kind of flagship store for the shopping center. Saks, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, etc just seem more appropriate for the location. I am not knocking JCPenney btw, I don't shope at department stores at all, regardless of what they are named.

That's an interesting suggestion. I think Saks needs to move too, but if I were them, I'd go to Crabtree, where there is already an open anchor spot that appropriately sized.

I think JCPenney is a good fit at North Hills. Sure, more upscale retailers would work there, but that JCPenney is working well for North Hills and has since at least 1966.

The more exclusive department stores will probably end up across the street anyway.

Is there really a wealthy population near TTC? Like mcmansions or something? When I first heard about Saks locating to the Triangle I thought it would be Crabtree or Southpoint. Then I heard the newscaster say Triangle Town Center and I almost spit out my drink and thought," Way over there?"

And havent we all heard of Wakefield in the 27615 zipcode. Can we say money and lots of it. Falls River developement and Bedford Falls River off of Falls of the neuse. Plus you have the "Heritage" Wake Forest Neighborhood, also 300,000-$ 1,000,000 homes.

If you havent driven to Extreme North Raleigh Bordering Wake Forest I suggest you do. And check out the shopping center at the corner of falls of neuse and "New Falls of Neuse" There is a Marquee Theater there and several good Resturants including Spinners and a great italian resturant "Gionni's"or something like that.

The growth in that area will blow you away. Yes TTC will do well.

I wish they would get rid of that JC Penny
I don't; I just wish they would rebuild it. Or at least do something to make the entrance better. In its current state, the store integrates poorly with the rest of North Hills. The little cul-de-sac leading to JC Penney's from the main drag just feels like dead space, and the entrance looks like the entrance to a department store from a mall parking lot, rather than a welcoming piece of the North Hills streetscape.

I wish they would get rid of that JC Penny

Not likely. It's the best performing Penny's store ANYWHERE. For that reason, they (very wisely) have a long-term lease that Kane couldn't afford to buy out. More facelift would be nice, but don't expect that brand to go anywhere anytime soon.

It is sad when you have to determine which entrance to hate less, instead of liking more.

It is sadder that the one that feels the most "natural" is the parking lot entrance facing Lassiter Mill.

The entrance by McAllisters has the fountain, but it's almost like "hey, don't mind the JC Penny's, look at the pretty fountain!" The Mura/Porto entrance is set back even further, and is "hidden" by the escalator ramp. Are both sets of ramps necessary? Neither of the escalators do a good job of directing you to Target.

Once you're in Pennys, it's like the old mall never left. I know that if it ain't broke don't fix it applies, but it could be so much more.

The Target -> JC Penny -> botiques progression is nice, but it seems there is a Hechts/Macys-ish "link" between JC Penny and the botiques that goes unserved. The food is a little more balanced -- Chick Fil A/Moes/Momma Fus/Andys/5 Guys/Q Shack/McAlisters -> Firebirds/Fox and Hound -> JKs/Savanah/Mura, though the bottom end is higher than McDonalds/Wendys/Burger King/Subway and the lower rungs are all chains except Andys.

The east expansion will hopefully be better since they are starting from scratch, and they'll be able to go high enough to make it worthwhile. North Hills East renderings

It sound like shopping gentrification. We all talk about urbanism, and we are quarreling over upscale stores to going into this shopping center, mall, village. does not the phrase "Variety is the Spice of Life" true? Lets mix it up! Penny's, Target, Saks, Nordstromes.....can't it all get along?

Oh and what is all this harp about Ruth Chris? I never heard of this place until I moved to the Triangle. And what would make this eatery special, besides the name? Is Kane trying to give a litte variety to some national names and some of the "locals" a nice "mix?"

Lets mix it up!!!!!!!!!

Archived