Ruth Chris Eatery and Renaissance Hotel @ North Hills

Tayfromcarolina

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And havent we all heard of Wakefield in the 27615 zipcode. Can we say money and lots of it. Falls River developement and Bedford Falls River off of Falls of the neuse. Plus you have the "Heritage" Wake Forest Neighborhood, also 300,000-$ 1,000,000 homes.

If you havent driven to Extreme North Raleigh Bordering Wake Forest I suggest you do. And check out the shopping center at the corner of falls of neuse and "New Falls of Neuse" There is a Marquee Theater there and several good Resturants including Spinners and a great italian resturant "Gionni's"or something like that.

The growth in that area will blow you away. Yes TTC will do well.

Thanks! In fact I have a doctors appointment in Chapel Hill in March so you gave me something to do on that day after UNC.

I actually think the shopping center you speak of is at the corner of capital blvd and new falls of the neuse. Also, Gianni & Gaitano's (sp?) is the italian restaurant and it rocks. i love it. it is really far out there (bout 12 miles from downtown Raleigh), but i am up there a lot to see my parents.

It sound like shopping gentrification. We all talk about urbanism, and we are quarreling over upscale stores to going into this shopping center, mall, village. does not the phrase "Variety is the Spice of Life" true? Lets mix it up! Penny's, Target, Saks, Nordstromes.....can't it all get along?

Oh and what is all this harp about Ruth Chris? I never heard of this place until I moved to the Triangle. And what would make this eatery special, besides the name? Is Kane trying to give a litte variety to some national names and some of the "locals" a nice "mix?"

Lets mix it up!!!!!!!!!

I agree. However the problem with Ruth's Chris in that location is that there is already a local guy doing the EXACT SAME THING almost literally next door.

Ruth's Chris is a national chain out of New Orleans. It used to be Chris' Steakhouse until Ruth bought it. They have tons of locations, so it isn't THAT special to even get them.

I agree. However the problem with Ruth's Chris in that location is that there is already a local guy doing the EXACT SAME THING almost literally next door.

Ruth's Chris is a national chain out of New Orleans. It used to be Chris' Steakhouse until Ruth bought it. They have tons of locations, so it isn't THAT special to even get them.

I agree. A Ruth Chris is nice to have in Raleigh, but local or smaller chains have come in and staked our markets in prime locations and taken a chance to succeed well before Ruth Chris or Morton's would even think about Raleigh. One of the newest and latest locations in the city is North Hills. I am not sure of the business structure of Ruth Chris, but I do not think they are franchised. If not, the fight of the steakhouses becomes a David and Goliath match but with an almost guarantee of an opposite outcome.

The local guy opened JK

I think having 2 high-end steakhouses near each other won't neccessarily put one out of business. People like to try new places and NH is becoming an eating destination. It is like saying having a Belk and a Hechts or a Gap and a J Crew in the same mall will cause one of them to go under. There are a ton of people who live near NH and I'm sure that they can support the two.

JCPenney's not hurting anything being there. Actually it's the store that saved North Hills from being a memory.

BTW, the best performing JCPenney anywhere is at Plaza los Americanas in Puerto Rico, though JCPenney North Hills is the NC sales leader. The store's a dog and it's not intergated well at all, but it's a solid performer.

We all talk about urbanism, and we are quarreling over upscale stores to going into this shopping center, mall, village. does not the phrase "Variety is the Spice of Life" true? Lets mix it up! Penny's, Target, Saks, Nordstromes.....can't it all get along?
I would have put it somewhat differently, but he has a point.

Also, It's not like Ruth's Chris is out on the corner out by the Best Buy ;) I have to question the logic of placing two similar and pricey restaurants that close together, but i'm sure the descision was not made lightly.

I think having 2 high-end steakhouses near each other won't neccessarily put one out of business. People like to try new places and NH is becoming an eating destination. It is like saying having a Belk and a Hechts or a Gap and a J Crew in the same mall will cause one of them to go under. There are a ton of people who live near NH and I'm sure that they can support the two.

Possibly....but I think it is more like putting a Home Depot beside a small hardware store.

...........And I am about as ruthless as it comes when it comes to business as I am paid to be ruthless without a soul.

Wasn't there talk of Morton's being part of North Hills, and when that fell through, JKs came in? To "thank" JKs, they're bringing in a restaurant with a lot more resources, supplies, and built in brand name. Or was JKs just a place holder all along? I hope not... it seems better than "It's Prime Only". Why not put a McCormick and Schmidt's (sp?) in the hotel? It is a fairer competior to Bonefish Grill (owned by the Outback folks) and there's more distance between the two front doors.

I hope the restaurant by the Porters people (urban dining group) does well, but I'd rather it be in the center of north hills. Though it may come as close to a neighborhood bar as the area will allow, so a "tucked in the corner" location may suit them.

I hope the restaurant by the Porters people (urban dining group) does well, but I'd rather it be in the center of north hills. Though it may come as close to a neighborhood bar as the area will allow, so a "tucked in the corner" location may suit them.

Which restaurant is owned/managed by the Porters/Frazier group in North Hills? Or maybe I misunderstood?

Possibly....but I think it is more like putting a Home Depot beside a small hardware store.

...........And I am about as ruthless as it comes when it comes to business as I am paid to be ruthless without a soul.

I hear ya. I'm the type of guy who likes locally owned and unique dining experiences. I would opt for JK's before I would Ruth Chris. Especially if I were out of town staying in a hotel. I could go to a chain back at home anytime and would rather experience some of the local flavor.

With regards to hardware stores, I'm as guilty as the next person. I have dropped a small fortune at Lowe's on home renovation supplies. I do go to Burke Hardware though if they have what I need.

The Vivace website says they're opening Feb 15th, but when I went by there three weeks ago, it was just the black painted wood, so couldn't see anything. Other shops under the Alexan have been steadily opening up, so who knows? There seems to be some opportuity for outdoor dining like, but it would not be "attached" like Porters is. It will have a built in clientel from the Hillsborough St. locations -- there has been a sign showing the new location up for months.

Sorry this is off topicish, but does anyone know what percentage of the Alexan apartments are spoken for?

The Vivace website says they're opening Feb 15th, but when I went by there three weeks ago, it was just the black painted wood, so couldn't see anything. Other shops under the Alexan have been steadily opening up, so who knows? There seems to be some opportuity for outdoor dining like, but it would not be "attached" like Porters is. It will have a built in clientel from the Hillsborough St. locations -- there has been a sign showing the new location up for months.

Sorry this is off topicish, but does anyone know what percentage of the Alexan apartments are spoken for?

I've been by lately just after the sun goes down but before the workers were done and they still have exposed metal studs and HVAC pipe hanging all over the ceiling. No equipment is in place yet. Unless they are on the next episode of Extreme Punchlist, I don't see them opening for quite a while.

One of our big jokes centers around Kerry Catherine. We think that Raleigh might have a full rail system up and running by the time she opens one measily jewelry store. Unreal.

• 2 months later...
I just spoke with my buddy who is an engineer on the Renaissance Hotel project. He says construction should begin in June. It's 10 stories with 2 stories of parking underneath. Oh, and he says there will be a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in the bottom floor.
That's pretty good height, should look nice from I-440.

Archived