Fed. Govn't Renovating Fay. St. Post Office

Justin6882

The building, now used for bankruptcy court was slated to be decommissioned - but with the city putting millions into Fayetteville Street, the federal government has earmarked $4.5 mil. to renovate the structure. Most of it sounds like it will be on the inside, and it sounds like its going to be a pretty extensive renovation of some of the rooms. Awesome to see the building will be taken of for years to come. It really is one of my favorite buildings downtown and I think it will add a lot to the charm of Fayetteville Street.

Raleigh Post Office Renovation Brings Back 1800's Charm

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The building, now used for bankruptcy court was slated to be decommissioned - but with the city putting millions into Fayetteville Street, the federal government has earmarked $4.5 mil. to renovate the structure. Most of it sounds like it will be on the inside, and it sounds like its going to be a pretty extensive renovation of some of the rooms. Awesome to see the building will be taken of for years to come. It really is one of my favorite buildings downtown and I think it will add a lot to the charm of Fayetteville Street.

Raleigh Post Office Renovation Brings Back 1800's Charm

Thats great....If they would just 100 fold that for the TTA,then people from Durham and North Raleigh can ride it to use the renovated Post Office

that is really cool and great news to wake up to today... thanks for posting that. i love that building and wish there were still more downtown like it. i think fayetteville street is going to be a pretty eclectic place where you can really get a feel for how raleigh has changed through the years.... there will be buildings from the 1800's right along side new high rises... pretty cool! ; )

I really like the idea. Even though I'm young, I still like the idea of keeping the history of Raleigh even amongst all the redevelopment. That's where the lots of a city's downtown beauty comes from. I wanna be able to walk downtown in a couple of years and see the new along side the old.

This is the post office right across from the RBC lot on Fayetteville, right? I agree, it's a great building. It's not going to be a post office anymore, is it? If not, maybe they should turn the Salisbury Street side into an entrance of some sort. That's the one thing I don't like about it - it has a sort of loading dock for trucks on Salisbury Street. I wonder whether they can change that without affecting the historical nature of the post office?

This is the post office right across from the RBC lot on Fayetteville, right? I agree, it's a great building. It's not going to be a post office anymore, is it? If not, maybe they should turn the Salisbury Street side into an entrance of some sort. That's the one thing I don't like about it - it has a sort of loading dock for trucks on Salisbury Street. I wonder whether they can change that without affecting the historical nature of the post office?

Yep thats it. The restoration can only go so far though as the 1874 structure was only 5 bays deep and did not stretch all the way to Salisbury St. Also it once had chimneys all over the roof. The other 2nd empire building next to it was the county courthouse of the day.

post-4367-1139236427_thumb.jpg

post-4367-1139236427_thumb.jpg

Archived