HBLR opens two new stations

SouthJersey7

NJ Transit Press Release

NJ TRANSIT ANNOUNCES GRAND OPENING DATE FOR NEW LIGHT RAIL STATIONS

New service plan begins February 11, offering more seats, more frequent service in advance of station openings; Bergenline Avenue and Tonnelle Avenue stations to open February 25

February 2, 2006

NJT-06-009

UNION CITY, NJ

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent find, deadmaker!!

I'm a HUGE fan of the HBLR. I think the service improvements they've been making lately (Bayonne Flyer, dropping headways, etc) and the proposed ones such as skipping Hoboken Terminal, further dropping headways, and increasing bus connections are great moves.

I'm also excited to hear about Bergenline Ave and Tonnelle Ave stations opening soon! The field trip my class took in November was planned to visit the Bergenline Ave station to see the construction but that fell through. I think it will be amazing to travel to that station, being 150 feet below the surface of the Palisade!

The first weekend it's open you can count on me going to ride.

Excellent find, deadmaker!!

I'm a HUGE fan of the HBLR. I think the service improvements they've been making lately (Bayonne Flyer, dropping headways, etc) and the proposed ones such as skipping Hoboken Terminal, further dropping headways, and increasing bus connections are great moves.

I'm also excited to hear about Bergenline Ave and Tonnelle Ave stations opening soon! The field trip my class took in November was planned to visit the Bergenline Ave station to see the construction but that fell through. I think it will be amazing to travel to that station, being 150 feet below the surface of the Palisade!

The first weekend it's open you can count on me going to ride.

Very cool. I'd like to see that Bergenline station as well, snap some pics if at all possible! I noticed on the old HBLR map it showed the tunnel but not on the new one. This makes the system like others (Dallas, Portland) that have 1 underground station.

I'll take pics until I see NJ TRANSIT police approaching.

I like your comment about the new map too. It certainly looks more like a Washington Metro or BART map now. And the criss-cross routing they're doing now makes it sorta like PATH (where trains go on the same line for much of the trip and then divert). Too bad the PATH map looks like it was drawn in MS Paint.

PATH_MAP2.gif

• 3 weeks later...

In this week's MassTransit Weekly Email Newsletter (arrived yesterday) there's a story about the study to extend the HBLR beyond Tonnelle Ave. The HBLR will extend west to the Meadowlands Sports Complex, and from Tonnelle, a self-propelled diesel trolley may offer service up to Tenafly in eastern Bergen County.

Read Grant Keeps Plan Rolling for Rail Service to Tenafly, N.J.

Great news for transit, but...

1. The trolley will require a transfer to get passengers south of North Bergen (to Hoboken, JC, etc)

2. I'm not a huge fan of diesel trolleys

3. For commuters going to New York (and even JC) buses will still be much faster!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I drove by the Tonnelle Ave station last night. From the street it looks amazing! It's quite large, grand, and well-lit. I wish I had my camera with me--to take pics of the station and a sign at a nightclub I saw in Fairview called DRAMA - NJ's hottest Nightclub!

Archived