Celebs in the Upstate!

goodbye

I know this list is a mere scratch on the surface of a book's-worth of names from or related to the Upstate region of SC, but I had to get it started to show off our celebrity pride. Add any you can think of not already mentioned. This list is likely to grow incredibly large. I didn't include any local or regional celebs because they aren't typically known nationally. Have FUN! :thumbsup:

Jay Haas - Greenville (PGA player)

Kevin Costner - Lake Keowee (Actor and Director - quote: "Greenville is one of my favorite places")

George Hincapie - Greenville (professional cyclist and close friend of Lance Armstrong)

Edwin McCain - Greenville (musical artist)

Kevin Garnett - Mauldin (NBA player)

Stephen Davis - Spartanburg (NFL player)

Dr. Charles Townes - Greenville (inventor of the Laser)

"Shoeless" Joe Jackson - Greenville (Chicago Whitesox player who taught Babe Ruth how to swing a bat)

Rev. Jesse Jackson - Greenville (civil rights activist)

Joel Poinsett - Greenville (first brought the Poinsettia to the USA)

John Calhoun - Clemson (two-time former Vice President of the United States)

Bo Griffin - Greenville (movie actress)

Jack Nicklaus - Lake Keowee (former PGA player)

Jason Keller - Travelers Rest (NASCAR driver)

Jane Robelot - Spartanburg (former CBS news anchor)

Susan McGinnis - Spartanburg (CBS news anchor)

Tommy Lasorda - Greenville (former MLB Coach and Manager - quote: "Greenville is my favorite city")

Ruth Marie Milliman - Anderson/Greenville (Survivor Panama contestant)

http://realitytvcalendar.com/recaps/surviv.../ruthmarie.html

Tom Glavine - Lake Keowee (MLB player)

John Smoltz - Lake Keowee (MLB player)

David Wilkins - Greenville (current US Ambassador to Canada)

Keith Lockhart - Greenville/Furman University (Musical Director of the Boston Pops Orchestra)

Two Current State Senators:

Lindsey Graham - Seneca

Jim DeMint - Greenville

Major Events Bringing Celebs in:

PGA Nationwide Tour - BMW Celebrity Pro-AM at The Cliffs -

http://www.cliffscommunities.com/golf/clif...e/50/section/39

http://www.bmwusfactory.com/community/golf/celebrities.asp

Fall for Greenville - Greenville

Artisphere - Greenville

USA Pro Cycling Championship - Greenville

Democratic National Debate - Greenville (2004 & proposed for 2008)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great additions, guys! :thumbsup: Westmoreland (for those who don't remember) was the main character featured in the Mel Gibson movie, 'We Were Soldiers.' He led his men bravely in Vietnam.

Hincapie is definitely a Greenville resident, Spartan. He was one of the main reasons Greenville was able attract the USA Pro Cycling Championship. Apparently he has a Paris Mountain home - presumeably in Montebello?

Can we can't atlhletes who plaid for Clemson? IF so we can add

Kris Benson (MLB Pitcher jsut traded from New York Mets to Baltimore)

Billy Koch (past MLB Pitcher)

Kaleil Green (MLB SS for San Diego)

Horace Grant (past NBA player)

If we count Alvin McCall as a celebrity what about Jimmy Rogers who founded Fatz Cafe or Roger Milliken.

What about the guy from the 7up commercials?

And though she is not a celebrity Natalie Merchant's mother owns Time Warp.

Also,

Lucas Glover

Bill Hass

DJ Trehan all play on the PGA tour

and what about those famous female golphers from Furman, what was their names?

I would also say that Tommy Bowden would be an upstate celebrity

and the author Nicholas Sparks used to live in Greer.

Great additions, guys! :thumbsup: Westmoreland (for those who don't remember) was the main character featured in the Mel Gibson movie, 'We Were Soldiers.' He led his men bravely in Vietnam.

Hincapie is definitely a Greenville resident, Spartan. He was one of the main reasons Greenville was able attract the USA Pro Cycling Championship. Apparently he has a Paris Mountain home - presumeably in Montebello?

George Hincappie has (or had as of December) a place in 400 North Main in Downtown. His place was featured in Greenville Magazine. I see him out downtown often, on his bike. Also, since Greenville has become the capital of cycling, another famous cyclist, Craig Lewis lives here. He has a house on Paris Mountain.

Locally, I would say she is more famous than many people on the list.

For those who don't know who I am talking about, she does the commercials for Rug & Home and Mckinney Dodge. She is on the cover of the current Upsate Link.

Oh now one mentioned Ginger Alexander from "Flip this House"

and Miss Georgia Monica Pang is from Greer, she was first runner up in this years Miss America, guess that doesn't really make her a celebrity though.

For those who don't know who I am talking about, she does the commercials for Rug & Home and Mckinney Dodge. She is on the cover of the current Upsate Link.

Oh...I now have a name to put with that beautiful smile. :wub:

"I'm a married spud. I'm a married spud. I'm a married spud." - Mr. Potato Head from "Toy Story 2"

For some time in the 1930's the Monroe Brothers (featuring Bill Monroe) performed for a radio station in Greenville.

Also if you consider the upper neck of Lancaster County as 'Upstate', our late great president Andrew Jackson was born there. (Take that NC! :))

Archived