Celebs in the Upstate!

goodbye

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Radio" - Anderson

Jerry Richardson (owner of the Carolina Panthers) - Spartanburg

Pink Anderson - blues musician

James F. Byrnes (congressman, senator, Supreme Court Justice (only person to step down off the bench for

another federal post) - Spartanburg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, y'all forgot Peabo Bryson!

Also, there was an actress on "Alice" from Spartanburg.

If including Lancaster, then that is the hometown of Maurice Williams, who had a huge hit with "Stay (Just a Little Bit Longer)".

David Pearson, a huge figure in NASCAR, is from Spartanburg.

Amy Grant went to Furman, but is not from the Upstate (from Augusta, though.)

Also attended Furman: the conductor of the Boston Pops, who I can't think of right now . . and also, from Saturday Night Live, Victoria Jackson (the ditzy blonde with the high-pitched voice.)

Joanne Woodward was from Georgia, but lived for years in Greenville, and graduated from high school there.

I'll think of more, I'm sure . . .

Hey, y'all forgot Peabo Bryson!

Also, there was an actress on "Alice" from Spartanburg.

If including Lancaster, then that is the hometown of Maurice Williams, who had a huge hit with "Stay (Just a Little Bit Longer)".

David Pearson, a huge figure in NASCAR, is from Spartanburg.

Amy Grant went to Furman, but is not from the Upstate (from Augusta, though.)

Also attended Furman: the conductor of the Boston Pops, who I can't think of right now . . and also, from Saturday Night Live, Victoria Jackson (the ditzy blonde with the high-pitched voice.)

Joanne Woodward was from Georgia, but lived for years in Greenville, and graduated from high school there.

I'll think of more, I'm sure . . .

My family and I are actually related to Peabo Bryson.

North Carolina can have John Edwards as far as I am concerned. He is a known "ambulance chaser" and has had some high-profile cases in which he sued medical doctors for what I consider to be excessive damages. I am all for holding doctors accountable, but when it gets to the point that most doctors get sued every 4-5 years, something isn't right. There has to be a check on the frivolous lawsuits that we are seeing, and currently there is not.

<steps down off of soap box>

• 4 weeks later...

Jack Niclaus' sons all have houses on Lake Keowee as well. Pistol Pete Marovich went to Daniel high in Pickens cty, his father coached at Clemson College at the time. Loree Jon Jones is a several time world champion pool player on the women's PBA, she stopped to have a child though, she lives in greer and has a couple of stores around town. Kyle Thompson is a pretty good golfer on the nationwide tour (the tour that has the BMW Cliffs tournamnet) he is from Easley. It has long been said that Travis Tritt has a house on Hickory Nut Mtn in Dacusville. There was a country singer that emerged a few years ago, I think his name is Aaron Carter. Jane Robelot was a CBS anchor and used to work for WSPA. The beautiful Leeza Gibbons got here start in the upstate. Mike Sidel of the weather channel used to be the weather man on channel 4. Brad Faxon on the PGA attended Furman as well as Beth Daniels and Dottie Pepper, who has a house on the Cliffs. I think I remember hearing that Jennifer Mills is from Gville.

Jack Niclaus' sons all have houses on Lake Keowee as well. Pistol Pete Marovich went to Daniel high in Pickens cty, his father coached at Clemson College at the time. Loree Jon Jones is a several time world champion pool player on the women's PBA, she stopped to have a child though, she lives in greer and has a couple of stores around town. Kyle Thompson is a pretty good golfer on the nationwide tour (the tour that has the BMW Cliffs tournamnet) he is from Easley. It has long been said that Travis Tritt has a house on Hickory Nut Mtn in Dacusville. There was a country singer that emerged a few years ago, I think his name is Aaron Carter. Jane Robelot was a CBS anchor and used to work for WSPA. The beautiful Leeza Gibbons got here start in the upstate. Mike Sidel of the weather channel used to be the weather man on channel 4. Brad Faxon on the PGA attended Furman as well as Beth Daniels and Dottie Pepper, who has a house on the Cliffs. I think I remember hearing that Jennifer Mills is from Gville.

Aaron Tippin is the country singer's name. He was born in Pensacola, Florida, but raised in the Upstate. He has a palmetto tatooed on his arm, so S.C. is where his allegiance lies.

Cool that we keep thinking of more . . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't remember details, but saw an article the other day that said Dan Marino was buying property on one of the lakes around here, may have been Keowee.

It was Cherokee Valley, where ever that is. He is a development partner in the deal. I think essentially him having a lot is a marketing tool, it may have been given to him for his endorsment.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived