Holland: Best Small City in America

Rizzo

Looks like Holland might have its act together in some respects. Its interesting to note the quote below, makes me think that its trying to emulate a much larger city while maintaing its small town atmosphere.

They envision a community proud of its diversity, top-notch schools, unique neighborhoods, a world-class downtown, innovative business sector and extensive green spaces.

What ever happen to the "family values" platform :dontknow:

More from The Press at:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...5840.xml&coll=6

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Holland might have its act together in some respects. Its interesting to note the quote below, makes me think that its trying to emulate a much larger city while maintaing its small town atmosphere.

What ever happen to the "family values" platform :dontknow:

More from The Press at:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...5840.xml&coll=6

The "family values" platform brought us decaying inner cities, and sprawling overpriced suburbs. Its slowly dying the dodo's death.

Same with "A great place to raise a family". I think it's time to stick a fork in those two sayings (and I even have a family and I don't like the connotation).

Resident "Hollander" chiming in... :D

The words we like to use to describe Holland are liveable, walkable, convenient, friendly, green, vibrant, alive, safe, nurturing, etc.

The greatest challenge in Holland right now is the shape our public school system is in. And that's just about 100% driven by money: state funding, health care costs (union mandated), retirement costs and the district's lack of ability to add new students due to school district lines.

It makes no sense to have Holland closing and selling off school buildings while West Ottawa (for instance) is building new schools just 2 miles away. The minority population of each district is about the same so that's not an excuse. State funding levels are about the same per student, so that's not the cause.

It's simply growth issues. WO has thousands of acres of blueberry fields, pine forests and corn fields where people are building new homes, while Holland public is suffocating by lines drawn on a map 50 years ago.

That's why denser projects like Baker lofts are so important to the city. Perhaps a few dozen new students might live in a project like that. Ironically, the Kensington Village project is in the Hamilton school district, even though it's in the City of Holland. Again...lines on a map.

Plus, the quality issue is more image than substance. I have two children -- one graduated a few years ago and one who graduates in 2007 and they both have received a tremendous, high-quality education from Holland Public Schools. :thumbsup:

It's time for Lansing to find a method of funding our land-locked, inner city schools. Proposal A is not working.

Either that or another Kalamazoo-type promise!

Archived