What's Your Vision for Richmond?

wrldcoupe4

GAD... what's a GAD?

And YOUSE? Ok now, New Yorkers raise your hands! :rofl:

Youse a dreamer JWCJ. We're all dreamers. And believe me, you have no better advocate for destroying all the poor sections, but even that's been done before. How do you think we got the projects? What happened to Fulton and Sydney (Randolph)? We have better plans now to deal with those people than we had back in the 40s through the 70s. Can't just kick them out and destroy whole neighborhoods... although I'd love to!

But hey look. I think go-carts would be a nice attraction to the Bottom. Where could we but it. I was thinking an outside track and an indoor track.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GAD... what's a GAD?

Youse a dreamer JWCJ. We're all dreamers. And believe me, you have no better advocate for destroying all the poor sections, but even that's been done before. How do you think we got the projects? What happened to Fulton and Sydney (Randolph)? We have better plans now to deal with those people than we had back in the 40s through the 70s. Can't just kick them out and destroy whole neighborhoods... although I'd love to!

But hey look. I think go-carts would be a nice attraction to the Bottom. Where could we but it. I was thinking an outside track and an indoor track.

Would you please elaborate on your go-cart plan with outside and inside tracks in the Bottom? I'm completely baffled.

I was thinking more of the northern part of Shockoe Valley. I know they have a go-cart place near the fairgrounds RIR. They could build a place like it that could house indoor tracks. Then outside, maybe there's not much space. there is a place on Hospital St behind the Oliver Hill building that occupies a lot of land where maybe it can be done. Maybe scratch the outside tracks... but that would still be neat. Well there's lots of space in Fulton/Rocketts. Maybe Manchester... in that depressing industrical area along Commerce between Maury and Gordon.

I was thinking more of the northern part of Shockoe Valley. I know they have a go-cart place near the fairgrounds RIR. They could build a place like it that could house indoor tracks. Then outside, maybe there's not much space. there is a place on Hospital St behind the Oliver Hill building that occupies a lot of land where maybe it can be done. Maybe scratch the outside tracks... but that would still be neat. Well there's lots of space in Fulton/Rocketts. Maybe Manchester... in that depressing industrical area along Commerce between Maury and Gordon.

I woudnt mind seeing a low key waterfront amusement park somewhere in Rocketts or Manchester. A ferris wheel and a merry go round for the wee little ones. Maybe a nice water feature to top it off.

I woudnt mind seeing a low key waterfront amusement park somewhere in Rocketts or Manchester. A ferris wheel and a merry go round for the wee little ones. Maybe a nice water feature to top it off.

I agree. That would be a very nice feature that would draw more people downtown. Chattanooga, TN did that and is one of the nicest places downtown and a lot of people utilize it. I wish people in power could read some of our posts sometimes.

I agree. That would be a very nice feature that would draw more people downtown. Chattanooga, TN did that and is one of the nicest places downtown and a lot of people utilize it. I wish people in power could read some of our posts sometimes.

Here's a link to Chattanooga's park. I think this concept would work very well in Richmond.

Coolidge Park Chattanooga

more on the park...

Speaking of Mayo island... I'm curious as to what VDOT's vision is for a Mayo Bridge replacement? :huh:

Whatever it is, coupe, will be a long time coming since the Generasl Assembly doesn't seem terribly interested in transportation matters.

Also speaking of Mayo Island, there is a group planning to hold a music festival there on Oct. 21st. I think they're planning to call it Megafest and feature mostly bands from the Richmond area. I know, that sounds weird when Brown's island seems much more feasible. Maybe it costs to much to lease Brown's island? What industries are on Mayo? When I've driven across it, it seems very industrial. there is some greenspace on the east end, right up against the I 95 James River Bridge.

I think something like this could become a possibility as part of the development of the Fed Reserve parking lot. BTW I saw surveyors nearby on my way to work today.

The surveyors are probably planning for the ugly new parking deck along Byrd Street. If the design goes thru, it will be totally incompatible with the Fed Reserve to the east and Ethyl to the west. Why anyone thinks recreating the look of a penitentiary on that potentially vital acreage will enhance esthetics baffles me.

If a water feature, similar to Chattanooga's Riverfront park were embraced by Richmonders, whoever holds the on-off key will ensure that it will be dry most of the time. Richmond's water-keepers do not like flowing fountains; but they love naked flag poles. :angry:

In case no one has noticed, this is Bitter Burt Day! :P

Also speaking of Mayo Island, there is a group planning to hold a music festival there on Oct. 21st. I think they're planning to call it Megafest and feature mostly bands from the Richmond area. I know, that sounds weird when Brown's island seems much more feasible. Maybe it costs to much to lease Brown's island? What industries are on Mayo? When I've driven across it, it seems very industrial. there is some greenspace on the east end, right up against the I 95 James River Bridge.

As far as I know, all the facilities still exist on Mayo from when they used to host shows regularly, so it's not that odd of a choice. Depending on who's setting it up, it could be a deliberate choice to differentiate this from a Cheers-type event.

The surveyors are probably planning for the ugly new parking deck along Byrd Street. If the design goes thru, it will be totally incompatible with the Fed Reserve to the east and Ethyl to the west. Why anyone thinks recreating the look of a penitentiary on that potentially vital acreage will enhance esthetics baffles me.

If a water feature, similar to Chattanooga's Riverfront park were embraced by Richmonders, whoever holds the on-off key will ensure that it will be dry most of the time. Richmond's water-keepers do not like flowing fountains; but they love naked flag poles. :angry:

In case no one has noticed, this is Bitter Burt Day! :P

Yeah, Kanawha is on at least and that Falls of the James one has been on and off. Ive already agreed to donate money to the landscape at Kanawha Plaza, and Coupe mentioned something about flags, but I would mind going out and getting flags for all those poles. Seems the only poles with flags are on the tops of those buildings!

Dont worry, yesterday was take Tommy's money day :rofl:

Yeah, Kanawha is on at least and that Falls of the James one has been on and off. Ive already agreed to donate money to the landscape at Kanawha Plaza, and Coupe mentioned something about flags, but I would mind going out and getting flags for all those poles. Seems the only poles with flags are on the tops of those buildings!

Dont worry, yesterday was take Tommy's money day :rofl:

Did you lose a lot of quarters yesterday, you rascal?

My pet naked poles are the ones at the foot of 5th street overlooking the canal. As far as I know they have never been adorned with so much as a ribbon.

And you don't see Kanawa fountain everyday, do you? I'll wager it's dry as often as it flows - even in summer. And that fountain at the foot of 7th street is an on-again/off-again situation. :P

As far as I know, all the facilities still exist on Mayo from when they used to host shows regularly, so it's not that odd of a choice. Depending on who's setting it up, it could be a deliberate choice to differentiate this from a Cheers-type event.

At one time about 5 years ago when cinquo de mayo and other concerts were a regular thing on Mayo's Island, Gillians, a rather well-known music/dance club had an option to locate there (they were in Waterside in Norfolk among other locations ). Seems to me negotiatons fell apart when it was revealed that there was no sewerage pipeline to and from the island.

Anyway, Gillian's went belly-up in bankruptcy fairly recently.

My pet naked poles are the ones at the foot of 5th street overlooking the canal. As far as I know they have never been adorned with so much as a ribbon.

And you don't see Kanawa fountain everyday, do you? I'll wager it's dry as often as it flows - even in summer. And that fountain at the foot of 7th street is an on-again/off-again situation. :P

Haha, I almost had to pay for a premium membership yesterday in another forum :rofl:

Kanawha Plaza's fountain has been on every day for two weeks :thumbsup: might be a record!

GAD... what's a GAD?

I guess New Yorkers raise your hands, mines is up, because I'm from BROOKLYN!

No surprise here...

I'm glad you're not like other NY transplants... most of them hate Richmond... like the cost of living... hate the pace and way shorter buildings.

I've seen two plates recently one saying "IH8NY" and the other "ILOVNY"... funny Wonder if they're a couple?

Thank you Cadeho, you are right about most of use. Richmond is easy to hate, but Richmond is also easy to love. Even though Richmonders do make use actually hate Richmond. But I don't let it get to me. So think you very much Cadeho.

• 2 weeks later...

Id like to see some of the bridges lit up at night. Ive been looking and recalling all other bridges Ive passed over through my travellings, and mostly all of them had lights on the bridges. Since Richmond's bridges dont have metal cladding, you could shine the lights on the poles holding the bridge up. Im sure it wouldnt even be too expensive to install some sort of metal or wired design on the top of the James River bridge. But Im sure it's on the bottom of the city's priority list. It would be nice for them to do something to spruce up the bridges though. Theyve been looking rather plain lately.

Archived