What's Your Vision for Richmond?

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Im not the only one, but I think it's time for Richmond to get a spired or pointed building.

Maybe somewhere along the lines of this?

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=101183760&size=m

I agree. All of our buildings look like they were all mowed down by this huge lawn mower! :rofl: I love the rendering by-the-way! :)

Ed Slipek, commenting in today's Style, expouses a gradiose plan for 7th and Broad. Since the new Fed Courthouse will have 180 degree curved frontage facing the corner of 7th and Broad, Ed suggest a mirror effect of that in the Thalhimer hole across 7th street. Not duplicating architect Stern's court house, but another 180 degree design of glass, stone or whatever. The result would be a plaza effect which, with temporary closures of 7th street, could be the site for grand fiestas and the like.

He further suggests a plan that Coupe and I have discussed. The hole in the ground could be the site of a revenue producing structure (with the curved facade) to financially aid The Carpenter Center and VAPAF.

If I knew how to link Ed's story I would. :)

The grand arc is enclosed with a large glass atrium... thus, you wouldn't really notice the grand arc the way he envisions it. Instead, the glass atrium creates a football shaped space with the curve of the building...

I see what you mean, but it still would give a feeling of openness and, thus, a plaza effect. I like it.

True, but I think for Ed's vision to be fully realized, the courthouse would have to be built without the atrium. I was a huge fan of it until I looked at the rendering again :lol: ....I was trying to figure out how the arc on the Thalhimer side would work with the Carpenter Center, especially once the stage house is expanded. Could the same sized arc fit? I still like the idea of residential tower(S) on the site too...

Oh no. An arched front at 7th and Broad would not interfere with enlargement of the CC stagehouse which will be along 6th street. In fact, an entry to the stage loading dock could still be between the remaining Thalhimer building and the arched front of a new structure. The new building could abut Thalhimers with an area high and wide enough to allow passage of trucks to pass under to the loading dock just as it is in the VAPAF rendering. It would require imaginative design, but certainly could be done (maybe BAM). A mixed use tower, which perhaps could still include a performance space, should rise high above the arched front.

An important point about Ed's idea: The arched fronts are not intended to look like one another - just provide some open space at the corner of 7th and Broad.

Tommy, you and I love cornices.

I hate this arc plaza idea. The atrium is a good idea and good design. I can't wait to see the building completed. We just need to plug the VAPAF Pond. It needs to be cleaned.

DSCF4462.jpg

01/29/06

• 2 weeks later...

Archived