Townhouses on one side, retail on the other

G W North

Here's a few pics of what I talked about in City Discussions. This is just part of a much larger development, parts of which you can see in some of the pictures.

The south side of the structures: the front of townhouses:

IM003093.JPG

Here they are again. In the background you can see a tower crane building another building in this development.

IM003094.JPG

The townhouses with retail in the rear are on the right. On the left is just regular townhouses:

IM003096.JPG

Almost all new townhouses in the Greater Toronto Area are at least 3 stories tall. Many newer ones are even 4 stories.

IM003097.JPG

Here is where it gets interesting. This is the side of one of the townhouse/retail buildings. On the left (behind the little wall), you can see a townhouse entrance. In the centre of the structure though, you can see a retailer on the ground floor. Thus, the retailer is sharing a wall with living space in a townhouse unit. In this case, the "retailer" is a new barber shop.

IM003098.JPG

Here I've labelled the same picture.

IM003098alt.JPG

Here is the corner. The architecture and finishings are very nice, IMO.

IM003099.JPG

This was built on a former industrial site that had sat fallow for quite a few years. Townhouses extend back from the main street all the way to the lake.

IM003100.JPG

The development extends back...

IM003101.JPG

IM003102.JPG

The retail side. The townhouses are behind (and above) the retailers.

IM003103.JPG

There are actually two fairly long townhouse/retail buildings. The great thing about this retail is that there is continuous sidewalk-oriented retail on both sides of this development. That means that this was a gap in the retail streetwall (on the south side of the street anyways), but that gap has now been filled.

IM003104.JPG

IM003105.JPG

IM003106.JPG

IM003107.JPG

IM003108.JPG

IM003109.JPG

IM003111.JPG

I hope you find this development as interesting as I do.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived