Katrina's impact on crime in Houston

upstate29650

• 2 months later...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Story

Looks like the criminals in N.O. are now criminals in Houston, in no small part to Katrina & LA's criminal justice system.

Since the original poster of this obviously won't be able to respond... does anyone have any new information about the rise in crime attributed to Katrina evacuees? I'm wondering if it's gone down with so many people finally returning to New Orleans.

Since the original poster of this obviously won't be able to respond... does anyone have any new information about the rise in crime attributed to Katrina evacuees? I'm wondering if it's gone down with so many people finally returning to New Orleans.

Although I don't have the statistics handy to prove this, the majority of the returnees are white and middle to upper class. The majority of those that have not returned (about half of the city's population) are poorer, African-American, and this is thought to represent most of New Orleans' criminals. This was a big debate in the citys' recent mayoral election and will be again when the runoff occurs.

Several apartment complexes in Dallas that took in big numbers of refugees have had lots of problems with crime and crime as a whole in the area has reportedly increased and a lot of this is attributed to Katrina.

Although I don't have the statistics handy to prove this, the majority of the returnees are white and middle to upper class. The majority of those that have not returned (about half of the city's population) are poorer, African-American, and this is thought to represent most of New Orleans' criminals. This was a big debate in the citys' recent mayoral election and will be again when the runoff occurs.

Several apartment complexes in Dallas that took in big numbers of refugees have had lots of problems with crime and crime as a whole in the area has reportedly increased and a lot of this is attributed to Katrina.

True. I don't know what I was thinking... because they were bussing tons of black New Orleans voters from Dallas to Shreveport to vote in the election.

I don't hear much about the increase in crime in Dallas, but I hear a lot about that in Houston. I just hate that these beautiful Texas cities are having to house the majority of the "misplaced" criminals. I know a city in Texas where they'd fit in a little better... Huntsville. :)

Archived