Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skyliner

CONSTRUCTION THREAD: LEC Expansion

The Greenville County Law Enforcement Center is currently undergoing major expansion of the detention facility. Construction has started within the last month and now steel and concrete are forming the foundation of the new structure(s). If anyone has photos or progress reports, post them in this thread. :)

Facts:

• $24 million for construction, expansion and renovation

• 448-bed expansion

• Contractor - MB Kahn

Link to Greenville County information

The crane is up and is it ever impressive as you enter downtown on I-385. :shades: It isn't very tall, but it helps to show some construction taking place on this end of downtown.

The crane is up and is it ever impressive as you enter downtown on I-385. :shades: It isn't very tall, but it helps to show some construction taking place on this end of downtown.

Noticed this today also, headed in on 385. How many floors is this expansion suppose to be? I didn't even think it was enough floors to need a crane. It is nice to see a crane at this entrance to downtown. :thumbsup:

From the height of the crane, I'd guess (just a guess mind you) anywhere between 4 to 7 floors. Most likely 4 to 6, but I haven't seen any renderings. The reason for the crane is probably due to the building being constructed of heavy steel and concrete and little room for material trucks and smaller cranes to move around. Just imagine the Pinnacle crane going up behind it at the same time. This most likely will not happen, but it is nice to imagine. In any case this crane is fairly sizeable and undeniably noticeable as you enter downtown from I-385. Lets hope the building, an expansion of the detention center, isn't an architectural eyesore.

Okay, VERY poor quality photos here, but they give an idea of the view from a car on I-385 as you enter downtown. Forgive the blur and poor aperture setting, I was shooting on the "drive." :blush:

Shot1.jpg

Shot2.jpg

Shot3.jpg

Thanks for taking and posting these, Skyliner! It is much appreciated for us out-of-towners! The crane definitely creates a presence there. Too bad it's not for the Pinnacle.

Nice photos, you two! I saw that crane for the first time today as I was headed over to the South End of town. It really took me by surprise even though I had seen Skyliner's photos above. It's impressive. I'd love to see a couple more of those on our horizon soon. :thumbsup:

HERE is an article on this project from the Greenville News.

448 Additonal Inmates...not sure how I feel about this... :unsure:

I see Greenville's downtown population on the rise! :rofl:

As this project continues to rise, I wonder if they are going to do anything cosmetically to it. Its kind of bland just being concrete. I realize its a jail, but now its the first building you see coming into downtown Greenville.

As this project continues to rise, I wonder if they are going to do anything cosmetically to it. Its kind of bland just being concrete. I realize its a jail, but now its the first building you see coming into downtown Greenville.

They are planning on building a juvenile correction facility in the near future next to the new jail going up right between I-385/East North St. and the new jail addition.

I have been in Greenville this weekend (and wow this place is AMAZING!) and I saw the new LEC building. It looks awful, with its plain gray look. I know it's a government building constructed with limited funds, but couldn't they do a little better? Yuck.