Developmental ideas by proxy?

MadVlad

After reading todays Commentary Section of the Hartford Courant, it occured to me that most of the good developmental ideas that I've seen bandied around in the last, oh, 5 years or so have not come from those doing the actual development. It always seems like someone else, particularly the Hartford Courant, floats the idea across the public space and others take the idea and run with it.

Seriously, where are the brains in these developmental leaders? Think of all the activity downtown, and I can say probaly 90% of it was floated around by someone other than the person doing the actual work. Not that I have a problem with that, so longs as it gets done. However, this seems odd to me, maybe the wrong people are in the wrong positions. What would our city be like if the actual progressive thinkers were in the correct positions?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a question for the forum: Who are the developers that are really making things happen in Hartford? I'm sure we're all curious as to who the movers and shakers are, but are there any flying under the radar?

Here are the big/active players as I see them:

Northland Investment Corp. (Gottesdiener) - Hartford 21, YMCA, Possible Arena

College Street LLC (Nyberg) - The Metropolitan, 55 on the Park, American Airlines

Homes for America Holdings, Inc. (MacFarlane) - Colt Gateway

Kenyon Investments (Levine) - Sage Allen, Richardson Building, CT Expo Center

Reveruzzi - Capewell Horse Nail Factory Project

Lexington Partners (Kenny) - Trumbull on the Park

Nitkin Group - Front Street

Anything I'm missing?

What about Cohen? He might not be developing anything, but he's been doing a lot of work on Constitution Plaza (he might be done already). Oh, and you guys can have any of my ideas for free. Just make sure I'm set up with a cushy consulting job later-on and it's all good ;)

Here's a question for the forum: Who are the developers that are really making things happen in Hartford? I'm sure we're all curious as to who the movers and shakers are, but are there any flying under the radar?

Here are the big/active players as I see them:

Northland Investment Corp. (Gottesdiener) - Hartford 21, YMCA, Possible Arena

College Street LLC (Nyberg) - The Metropolitan, 55 on the Park, American Airlines

Homes for America Holdings, Inc. (MacFarlane) - Colt Gateway

Kenyon Investments (Levine) - Sage Allen, Richardson Building, CT Expo Center

Reveruzzi - Capewell Horse Nail Factory Project

Lexington Partners (Kenny) - Trumbull on the Park

Nitkin Group - Front Street

Anything I'm missing?

The Matos Group - Developing Rentschler Field (not Hartford technically but hey)

Waterford Group - Constructed/ renovated and manages the Marriott Downtown, the CCC, and the Hilton Hartford.

First Merchants Group - Behind the Park Street Gateway Development

Providian Builders - The Group now proposing condo towers on the Northside of Main Street, across from 12B

BBS Development - Blue Back Square (again, not technically Hartford but you know)

Any others?

• 2 weeks later...

On the note of the Waterford Group they were picked as the primary developers of the Adriaens Landing. They stepped up when noone wanted to, to head the 1st major project in years. They manage the the Hartford Marriott Downtown Hotel, the CT Convention Center, completed a $34 million dollar renovation on the Hilton in which they kept a many union workers with jobs and manage the Residence Inn by Marriott Downtown Hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did some major updating on my website, Opening Up the City

It seems underneath, the pot is stirring.

I added some animations. One of them is a site plan that starts out how it is today, then starts adding the elements of change.

edit; Somebody just emailed me this link.

Merrill W. Sherman: New agency to oversee plans -- How to spur waterfront development

Providence is really thinking big.

Archived