Broad Creek revitalization

vdogg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That whole development looks suburban to me. I don't see any of that crap out there. It looks like they stole some houses from Vabeach.

The rowhouses in the last pic don't look anything close to suburban to me. The reason you don't see any of it out there is that it doesn't exist yet, it's their vision for what will exist. Stole some houses from Va. Beach? :rofl: I don't see anything like that out here either honestly.

Has anyone heard anything further on the Joan Kroc/Salvation Army mega recreation center that was being considered for Broad Creek at corner of Ballentine and E. Princess Anne?

That would be a major deal for Broad Creek and all of Norfolk. Competition is from Chesapeake and Virginia Beach.

Salvation Army recreation center?

Just heard in the mayors speech that they just had something else approved. If you actually go out to broad creek it looks like a big suburban development. Drive by there sometime and see whats out there now! :thumbsup:

Just heard in the mayors speech that they just had something else approved. If you actually go out to broad creek it looks like a big suburban development. Drive by there sometime and see whats out there now! :thumbsup:

Yes, I didn't think to look there but this is what Fraim just said in the State of the City:

"It is part of the Broad Creek Renaissance, a redevelopment area that will hold 234 new privately developed homes, 400 mixed-income apartments, a new anchor branch library, and, we expect a $90 million dollar recreational facility

Yes, I didn't think to look there but this is what Fraim just said in the State of the City:

"It is part of the Broad Creek Renaissance, a redevelopment area that will hold 234 new privately developed homes, 400 mixed-income apartments, a new anchor branch library, and, we expect a $90 million dollar recreational facility – the Kroc Center.

And, today I am pleased to report, Major Hogg of the Salvation Army tells me the first phase of the Ray and Joan Kroc Center won approval just days ago, enabling him to proceed with a program and feasibility study. So congratulations to Major Hogg and everyone working to land this major recreational asset for the region."

$90 million is a lot of money for a rec center. That is comparable to the development cost of the downtown Hilton Hotel and conference center. This would be so great for the youth of Norfolk.

Anyone see the irony in the Kroc family foundation supporting a recreation center?

I have not idea who they are. Please 'splain. You've bated the hook...

Joan Kroc is the widow of Ray Kroc, who founded the MacDonald's restaurant chain.

She has given $1.5 BILLION to the Salvation Army for recreation centers, apparently modeled after one they started in San Diego:

Joan Kroc rec center donation to Salvation Army

• 1 year later...

This is a very positive sign for this 100,000 sq. ft. building on 12 acres slated for the corner of Ballentice Blvd. and E. Princess Anne Road. A community planning meeting is scheduled for next week.

"The Kroc Foundation would donate $30 million for construction and another $25 million for an endowment to cover operating costs. Local officials must raise another $26 million for the endowment. Included in that endowment would be the cost of the land - the city will buy it, sell it to the Salvation Army and contribute the proceeds to the endowment."

"A commitment from the Salvation Army's Atlanta headquarters is expected sometime this month."

"Officials expect that ground could be broken in two to three years, after the facility is designed and a fundraising campaign for the endowment is completed."

Deal near for Broad Creek Rec Center

• 2 weeks later...

This article reports on a recent community planning meeting to obtain input on what folks would like to see the Kroc Center offer.

“This is going to be the coolest thing you ever saw,” said David Hammel of Denver-based Barker Rinker Seacat Architecture. “It will dramatically change the Broad Creek community.”

Hammel said he’s seen it happen before in his work designing Kroc Centers around the country.

Kroc Centers are known for their architecture and vast scope.

Norfolk’s would be a “green” building, using state-of-the-art environmental elements, he said.

Ideas for Broad Creek Community Center

Archived