New GVSU $4.5 Million GMP Lab

GRDadof3

I read about this somewhere, but couldn't recall where, so I found the press release off of GVSU's website:

New lab to boost West Michigan biotech industry

Feb 03, 2006

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- A new partnership between Grand Valley State University and the Van Andel Institute could lead to the development of groundbreaking new drugs and give a boost to West Michigan's growing biotech industry.

Construction will begin soon on a new FDA-approved Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) facility housed in Grand Valley State Universitys Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences. The facility will support the development of new drugs to treat cancer and other diseases for delivery to the marketplace. The state of Michigan awarded the Van Andel Institute an appropriation of $4.5 million to establish the lab. It is the first GMP facility in the state that is not affiliated with an individual company.

http://www.gvsu.edu/gvnow/?fuseaction=home...D0D2C801AE74C36

More moves to turn the budding health science industry here into commercial ventures.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Labs like this don one thing thats GOOD for the area:

Makes entrepreneurs. If someone in this lab finds a treatment for a disease that currently has none, or possibly a cure for one (Seems research is focusing more on treatment then cures) I would think that the Lab tech in GR wouldnt stray far from the area to start his/her business. :yahoo:

Archived