Infill! How we're growing...

GvilleSC

As there has been much discussion as to who's the most dense city, who's going to be in front of who by 2010, and Greenville's lack of annexation- here's a place to show just how Greenville is growning and by how much...

Major Happenings include:

Downtown's residential BOOM, Verdae, Villa Rd developments (Plantation on Pelham, Villaggio-Verde), Preserve at Parkins Mill

Post your pictures, ideas, thoughts, knowledge, and whatever else that deals with Greenville's infill here:

Some of my pictures are of bad quality, but they give an understanding of what's going on. I'll be sure to get some more and better ones when I'm back!

The Preserve at Parkins Mill-

It's hard to really get an idea for the size, but this a TINY parcel of land. The density of this development is, well, dense. It consists of 63 single family home sites and is really taking off:

JANUARY016.jpg

JANUARY027.jpg

JANUARY047.jpg

Augusta Rd is gaining more people-

There are lots of things happening in this area. here's a few:

This is the Riverside development. Where one house once sat, 10 are being built. This is on the corner of Augusta St and Riverside Dr.

JANUARY039.jpg

I'm not sure of the name of this one, but it's next to Scholotzky's on Augusta. I'm not sure of how many units, but I'd guess between 6-8? Anyone know?

JANUARY036.jpg

This is being built on Byrd Blvd, next to the Greenville Country Club. These house are being built on a hill where nothing existed before. This one sold for about $625,000 I believe and the developer is borrowing more money to build two more that will be even larger.

JANUARY038.jpg

Villa Rd/Midtown-

The plantation on Pelham as seen from 385. This will be a large neighborhood but I'm not sure about numbers. Infront of this, between it and 385 will be Villagio Verde. Can you say Density!?

JANUARY022.jpg

East Parkins Mill Rd-

This is on a lot where one house once stood. A cul-de-sac has been put in place and houses are being built. I'd say maybe 5 houses? One just like this has been developed on the next lot and did quite well.

JANUARY046.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget The Park on Park Avenue, The Edge on North Main, West Park and Townes, Richland at Cleveland Park, Rennaisance at Falls Park (renamed?), The Brio, Pendleton West, The Camperdown, expansion of Villagio di Montebello, The Pinnacle on Main, 22 South Main, 24 South Main, The Fieldhouse, RiverPlace, Poinsett Corners, McBee Station, The Biltmore Oaks, and many, many more throughout the entire Greenville area. There truly are so many I know of outside the city limits that the list would take an hour just to write. As GvilleSC mentioned, lots of these new residential developments are tucked away around corners that are hidden from view by general traffic. In numerous places, I know of new subdivisions that are being added inside other subdivisions. It is very remarkable to see this level of growth! :)

This is a great thread topic GvilleSC! :thumbsup: I noticed your photos of all the infill on Augusta. Amazing when you drive down Augusta or turn on any side street, infill developments EVERYWHERE! Nice to see all the activity in Greenville's oldest and most established neighborhood.

This is a great thread topic GvilleSC! :thumbsup: I noticed your photos of all the infill on Augusta. Amazing when you drive down Augusta or turn on any side street, infill developments EVERYWHERE! Nice to see all the activity in Greenville's oldest and most established neighborhood.

Thanks!

I agree, Augusta Rd is amazing, for lack of better word. It's still one of THE most desired places to live in Greenville. Since that's not going to change any time soon, I guess they'll keep building to meet the demand. I'd like to see Augusta become more urban with condo buildings rising 4 stories or so on each side of the street...? It would be a great place to live in a condo, especially if the trolley system uses a route that goes down Augusta to McDaniel :thumbsup: . I've got the vision in my head, if only a developer could see it.... :D

Augusta Road has SO much potential...potential that is currently unfulfilled. I know we've discussed this before, but a lot of work would need to be done to make Augusta more urban. Streets would perhaps need to be narrowed, and what would be done about storefronts that are far away from the edge of the road? What about all of the old buildings, and TELEPHONE POLES?

Is a revitalized and urban Augusta Road just a pipe dream?

Augusta Road has SO much potential...potential that is currently unfulfilled. I know we've discussed this before, but a lot of work would need to be done to make Augusta more urban. Streets would perhaps need to be narrowed, and what would be done about storefronts that are far away from the edge of the road? What about all of the old buildings, and TELEPHONE POLES?

Is a revitalized and urban Augusta Road just a pipe dream?

I hope you're not referring to Augusta St needing to be narrowed, because it's, well, not possible! :lol:

I don't think that a "revitalized and urban Augusta Rd" is just a pipe dream. But it's not a dead street, so it's definitely lower on the lists of things to do i'm sure. I think Lewis Plaza should become more urban and add a residential component first and then they should work their way out from there. There really is a lot of potential here and the great possibility to link it more closely to downtown. Expanding downtown in this direction would be great. :whistling: . Just another place to add to the downtown list of things to do while in Greenville you know?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I got bored and started wondering how many people have actually moved downtown since 2000... So, I found some numbers for developments that I could think of. These are mostly confined in the Central Business District, but I know lots of other residential developments have been built in the "greater downtown" area recently- mainly in the North Main area.

Please, if anyone has more developments' numbers share!

Built or Under Construction:

The Bookends (phase 1)---------28 (only 5 remain for sale)

155 Riverplace--------------------36

Poinsett Corners------------------82 (only one remains for sale)

Terrace at Riverplace------------27

Wachovia Place-------------------22 (These are luxury Apartments- Vacancy Rate Unknown)

The Riverhouse-------------------10

McBee Station--------------------192

Field House------------------------40

Pendleton West

-Single Family---------------------14

-Condos---------------------------15

On The Drawing Board/To Be Built Soon (We hope!)

The Camperdown---------------------81

The Pinnacle on Main------------------7 (?)

The Tower at Falls and Broad--------25

The Bookends (Phase 2)-------------28 (?)

DOWNTOWN IS BOOMING!

• 4 weeks later...

It is exciting to see how many new developments are popping up everywhere in the city. In this week's Greenville Journal, there is a great article on the struggle to build more housing in the city.

A nice quote from the Greenville Journal article:

...It (North Main neighborhood) is part of a city-wide boom in housing in the last few years as developers have scoured almost every nook and cranny in Greenville looking for places to build houses.

Edge on North Main will add 50 units, while other include; The Richland - ??; McBee Station - ??; West Park and Townes - 6; North Park - 15; Richland Creek - 75; The Vinyards - 14; The Village at Townes - 36. There are many more, but this is a short list of some not mentioned above. The estimate is approximately 1,200 condo, high-end apartment, or houses just built, planned, or under construciton.

The article also points out that the county can see this many new units pop up overnight though.

It is exciting to see how many new developments are popping up everywhere in the city. In this week's Greenville Journal, there is a great article on the struggle to build more housing in the city.

A nice quote from the Greenville Journal article:

Edge on North Main will add 50 units, while other include; The Richland - ??; McBee Station - ??; West Park and Townes - 6; North Park - 15; Richland Creek - 75; The Vinyards - 14; The Village at Townes - 36. There are many more, but this is a short list of some not mentioned above. The estimate is approximately 1,200 condo, high-end apartment, or houses just built, planned, or under construciton.

The article also points out that the county can see this many new units pop up overnight though.

Very impressive architecture. Perhaps Greenville is developing it's own vernacular--sort of Craftsman-inspired. About as good as it gets for this type of development.

DSCF0433.jpg

These have been discussed in other post but I do not remember every seeing a photo of the sign.

Those are going to be nice when they are done. Went by the other day and saw that they had finished pouring the foundation. Looks like they will be going up pretty fast.

Those are going to be nice when they are done. Went by the other day and saw that they had finished pouring the foundation. Looks like they will be going up pretty fast.

Are these the ones across from the county building? Near the entrance to the Governors School? Looks great! :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was going to update this previously posted list of projects that have happened downtown since 2000 (basically). Anyone who has more to add or edits to make on this list, feel free to copy and paste it with corrections made! Also, I'd like to see it kept up to date, so if you don't mind adding missing items, or letting me know, I'd appreciate it. Here's what I could think of:

Built or Under Construction by Downtown districts:

THE NORTH END

Edge on North Main--------------50

The Elements---------------------19

[i'm not sure what these are, so I'm not sure if they're built or U/C, or which section they belong to]

West Park and Townes-----------6

North Park------------------------15

Richland Creek-------------------75

The Vinyards---------------------14

The Village at Townes-----------36

THE CITY CENTER

The Bookends (phase 1)---------28

Poinsett Corners------------------82

Wachovia Place-------------------22

Peacock Hotel/Spa/Condos-------8 (?)

Parkplace on Main---------------???

McBee Station-------------------192 (seems high?)

THE WEST END

155 Riverplace--------------------36

Terrace at Riverplace------------27

The Riverhouse-------------------10

Field House------------------------40

Brick Street Lofts-----------------???

Carriage West--------------------???

West End Cottages---------------14 (?)

Rhett Street Brownstones--------9

Pendleton West

-Single Family homes------------18

-Townhomes----------------------46

-Condos---------------------------15 (?)

OTHER

Ridgeland at the Park------------41

The Hamptons---------------------8

West Park and Townes-----------6

Mulberry At Pinckney

-Single family homes------------16

-townhomes----------------------18

Total from this incomplete list (using number given above, missing a few): 851.

Proposed:

THECITY CENTER

133 South Main (9 stories)--------7

Gateway Condos------------------???

THE WEST END

Rhett Street Tower (8 Stories)--- ???

OTHER

Hampton @ Lloyd homes---------5

Also, note-worthy under construction infill projects outside of downtown in the City of Greenville include:

-Hollingsworth Park (Verdae's phase I TND)

-Verdae's Retirement Village

-Millennium Apartments

-The Preserve at Parkins Mill

-The apartments at the Point (real name?)

-Nicholtown Redevelopment (not so much infill I guess)

Archived