The latest vision for downtown

Urban_Legend

The latest vision for downtown

115724_400.jpg

The mayor's office releases rough, brainstormed plans for the waterfront, including changes near both riverwalks.

115766_300.jpg

Harbor Town

115764_300.jpg

Main Street Bridge

115767_300.jpg

Jacksonville Landing

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._21005752.shtml

A disturbing excerpt:

Peyton decided Friday to rescind the city's request for proposals to sell the property under the Landing. He said he changed his mind after hearing from community members unhappy with some of the proposed changes to the Landing.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't tell where I stand on this issue. While I think that if Sleiman is going to develop the Landing, another developer/person should not have the land underneath, but that the city should. Then again the city is STUPID with everything they do, and Sleiman, despite how much good publicity he gets and how everyone wants to f**k him pretty much how it goes, he is a man about profits. There is a strip center EVERYWHERE in Jax developed by him. The Landing is going to be a huge public profit center for him, and it's whatever situation gets him the most money.

Peyton's vision ties in because it's retarded. When is this ever going to happen under his leadership. he still has the courthouse that he HAS to contend with, and he's digging himself a deeper hole (it doesn't take such a deep hole to bury him).

Even Suzanne Jenkins was displeased with the 'bad business' done by the city. I mean really, what kind of message does that send out? That if you do business with the city of Jacksonville, you end up getting screwed over. He did the same thing as the courthouse! He waited and waited before he made a decision. And now it's totally messed up any plans Sleiman had made. While I'm not a fan of his strip centers, I know Sleiman could've done a miracle with that piece of property. Now it's in the city's hands....

Furthermore, the rendering of the city's proposed "Landing" looked like something from Amelia Island. 3 stories of some Caribbean architecture? That's crap, and doesn't belong in a dense, urban core.

However, some good does come from this. Read:

The plan calls for making Main Street a two-way road downtown. That would eliminate ramps to the Main Street bridge, which runs north and south. One of the four lanes of the bridge would be turned into a pedestrian lane with observation decks and vendor space.
and this:

Also on the Southbank, the plan calls for a "Harbor Town" with family-friendly retail stores, restaurants and open spaces, partly on the site where River City Brewing Co. now sits.

But why should we even worry about the Landing's fate or get our hopes up for the "Harbour Town"? (which looks like it belongs in Disney World, btw) Peyton's in charge of this, and I don't see anything coming into fruition this side of eternity....

~Tyler, over and out.

Agreed. Harbour Town does not belong in a very urban neighborhood like downtown. The area needs to continue to be developed into something that will benefit downtown. The rendering of the proposed Landing by the city looks very sophomoric. We need vision, not a playground.

I agree with your view.

^Well, Sleiman bought the building. So he's the one to make changes to the building.

I think it's alot easier to make drastic changes on a piece of property that YOU own, rather than to build on city-owned property. That's why he wanted to buy the land.

But if his changes don't follow this hairbrained "vision," they might not be allowed to take place.

Why would they make a pedestrian walkway on the Main street bridge, expecially since it still functions as an active elevated bridge for ships last time I checked. Unless the walkway is supposed to go up with the bridge.

There is already a pedestrian walkway on both sides of the Main St. bridge and yes it goes up just like the rest of the bridge.

City's decision upsets plans for Landing

Owners' lawyers say that all their options concerning the Landing are still on the table.

Read the rest of the story!

EGADS!:

Although city officials have indicated that they can develop a parcel east of the Landing to include a parking garage and satisfy their obligation to Jacksonville Landing Investments, Legler said that his client has the right to enforce a lease amendment requiring the garage to be built on a separate parking lot owned by Humana.

Pursuing that option would throw a wrench into plans for another major downtown development.

Orlando-based developer Cameron Kuhn has plans to purchase the Humana lot and erect a 33-story condominium and hotel tower. Kuhn Cos. officials have not spoken to JLI about their new plans said George Moore, Kuhn's vice president of property management for the Southeast.

Now this might mess up Cameron Kuhn's plans! The city is being ridiculous! They're ruining the private sector's successful development all because of this notion that some nifty, pretty public space is needed downtown.

Honestly guys, in speaking with Landing Tenants personally, Slieman has done nothing to make it any better in the two years he has owned.

Here are some simple facts:

1. He purchased the building for 5 million which was probably a cash purchase

2. He pays ONLY $100,000 a year to the City for the land lease which is what ONE large restaurant tenant pays anually.

3. The City provides security and clean up crews (HUH?)

So basically this guy has extremely minimal overhead with no real reason to move forward on bigger and better plans. He is small minded and will probably never grow out of his strip shopping center mentality where he maximizes prophits at the expense of tenants and of course the Urban vision downtown.

He put on a good show to the city and the public and basically got a sweatheart deal on one of the most valuable areas of the downtown. In my opnion I am happy the City came back in on this one.

I would reccomend each and everyone of you talk to some tenants. The picture is a lot different then what it seems.

It could, and would if Slieman requires the city to let him use the Humana parking lot. I don't believe it will come to this. Kuhn has big players here in Jax, with major bucks on the line, that have an interest seeing his tower built. You can bet a deal will be worked out.

Expect Slieman to play the victim, and angle for some compensation.

If I am not mistaken, didn't Kuhn already purchased that empty lot?

To me a deal could be worked out where Kuhn could expand his already proposed parking garage with the 33 story tower to accomodate both the tenants of his building and the needs of the Landing. In response, the city should compensate him for the extra work. Aside from the city's interuption, which I am entirely against, I feel that this could ideally be a legitament compromise for the city and Kuhn.

Honestly guys, in speaking with Landing Tenants personally, Slieman has done nothing to make it any better in the two years he has owned.

Here are some simple facts:

1. He purchased the building for 5 million which was probably a cash purchase

2. He pays ONLY $100,000 a year to the City for the land lease which is what ONE large restaurant tenant pays anually.

3. The City provides security and clean up crews (HUH?)

So basically this guy has extremely minimal overhead with no real reason to move forward on bigger and better plans. He is small minded and will probably never grow out of his strip shopping center mentality where he maximizes prophits at the expense of tenants and of course the Urban vision downtown.

He put on a good show to the city and the public and basically got a sweatheart deal on one of the most valuable areas of the downtown. In my opnion I am happy the City came back in on this one.

I would reccomend each and everyone of you talk to some tenants. The picture is a lot different then what it seems.

Sleiman did pay $5mm for it. Good for him. He didn't buy it from the city, he bought it from The Rouse Company in Baltimore. It is ROUSE that hasn't done a damn thing with the property since day 1.

I've seen other Rouse Company properties very similiar to the Landing, and they are suffering as well.

No savy businessman is going to pay more than is required to get the property. I saw the Landing just before Sleiman bought it on a Friday or Sat Night around 9:00 and it was as DEAD as I had ever seen it. It was a distressed property at that point. Lots of vacancies and no traffic. Remember, the LAND wasn't included in that $5mm price.

The reason Sleiman doesn't pay any rent is because the city (after 20 YEARS!) has not provided the required parking. They gave the same break to the Rouse Company in the last few years of its lease term BTW.

The Security and clean up was part of the deal from day one with the Rouse Company. Nothing has changed there.

Sleiman is losing out by not being able to redevelop the property. He is losing millions in potential lease revenue. He has a vested interest in turning the property around, which is a GREAT thing. The city has no business in the development business (See LaVilla for prime example).

Since Sleiman has taken over, there is an noticeable increase in traffic. Twisted Martini has made a name for itself and is quite successful. The number of events has increased and broadened.

Peyton needs to work with Sleiman and not pull the rug out from under him. This city is screwing developers over right and left, and will pay a price if it doesn't stop.

Peyton should crawl on his knees and apologize to Sleiman. This 11th hour about face is ridiculous. Merry Go Rounds and Cotton Candy are not what the Landing needs.

Some of those tenants probably are afraid they will be pushed out if the Landing is successful. Frankly, some of them need to go.

Landing owners to buy parking lot

Move could disrupt city's downtown vision

116614_300.jpg

Owners of The Jacksonville Landing notified city leaders Friday that they intend to purchase an adjacent parking lot, a move that jeopardizes a new city vision of downtown and a planned downtown residential project.

Read the rest....

Archived