Columbia's Lost Subway

Hybrid0NE

yes back in the 40's-50's if my info is correct there was a subway station one that went towards elmwood the other to the end of main street then 2 going in both directions towards saluda river but supposedly when the wachovia building was being built they broke into the tunnel and quickly filled it with cement so they didnt have to call the USC archeologists to the site for the fear they wouldnt be aloud to build there and have to move the building

I would like to know more about this subway line that existed in the city. Were there trains in the tunnels and if so what kind? Was it popular during it's existence (probably not since it's not around now)? and several other questions that I haven't formulated...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to know more about this subway line that existed in the city. Were there trains in the tunnels and if so what kind? Was it popular during it's existence (probably not since it's not around now)? and several other questions that I haven't formulated...

If this were true it would be incredibly exciting, but the tunnels were not used for trains. The only city, that I know of, with a defunct subway system is Rochester, NY.

not certain on what was run under there it was an underground rail system and i am working on it as we speak guys hard to find a manhole that goes down from main street i know that when wachovia was built they filled the hole the broke into it with concrete so when i find it i wont be able to explore the whole thing from main st sadly but i am working on getting down there have a few new leads just the matter of getting them open due to concreteing and bricking off

There's always the Lincoln St tunnel :)

I've read a fair amount of history too, and I've not heard of this. SC's population densities were never enough to support a true subway system. I have heard of other cities with a 'subway' that was used as an underground connection bewteen buildings, but it was not true 'subway.'

This is interesting though. I would be interested to learn more.

There are indeed tunnels under Columbia but I have not heard about any rails in them. Within the past year or so I read that someone - maybe Tut Underwood from the State Museum or Roger Stroup from Archives and History - was working with Rudy Mancke to map them.

I may be wrong, but seems they were pre-War Between The States. One opens up on the Broad River up beyond the old CCI.

Maybe two years ago a couple of fellows exploring that site got caught in one tunnel in rising waters and there was a rescue.

If this subway rumor were true, Columbia would have made every effort to let it be known to the public. I can understand the probability of tunnels under the city though, because it is a Capitol city afterall. There would have been the necessity to escape without being seen. Makes one wonder how long they were in use and what the primary purpose was. :)

^ The latter theories makes more sense - many other river cities, at least from colonial to antebellum times, had private tunnels for various reasons. I can recall a visit to a mansion in Petersburg, VA - which had a private tunnel several hundred feet away from the James River.

I have heard tales of a pedestrian tunnel from the Capitol under Gervais, continuing north on Main to who knows where. It seems that the legislators used it for some reason. I have no details just rumors from some of the old people when I was a child.

I'm with you Doug.. I'd heard the same... "pedestrian tunnels" not a subway system

unless the govt. officials had some type of cart on wheels like they would use in mines :P

But.. yes the tunnels extended from the state capital, down main street to the old Jefferson Square

theather (which is still to this day located below ground level).. (I remember going down two flights of stairs to enter the old jefferson square theater, I believe we went to see Jesus Christ Super Star when it first showed.. And the other tunnel extended from the state capitol to CCI located on Gist street near the city water works... :D I did visit the underground mall on main street many years ago... and also remember

trying to unravel the old tale of how far the tunnel extended.. I don't recal the tunnel extending one or two block long (much less a half mile). of course they may had closed it off before the malls (or stores) were built.. ;)

I'm with you Doug.. I'd heard the same... "pedestrian tunnels" not a subway system

unless the govt. officials had some type of cart on wheels like they would use in mines :P

But.. yes the tunnels extended from the state capital, down main street to the old Jefferson Square

theather (which is still to this day located below ground level).. (I remember going down two flights of stairs to enter the old jefferson square theater, I believe we went to see Jesus Christ Super Star when it first showed.. And the other tunnel extended from the state capitol to CCI located on Gist street near the city water works... :D I did visit the underground mall on main street many years ago... and also remember

trying to unravel the old tale of how far the tunnel extended.. I don't recal the tunnel extending one or two block long (much less a half mile). of course they may had closed it off before the malls (or stores) were built.. ;)

I think y'all are getting the rail cars that used to run downtown and the basement of the Arcade mixed up.

Archived