Naming Rights gone too far?

monsoon

Are naming rights going too far?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have Naming Rights gone too far if the City sells out for Freedom Park, Sponsored by Scott Clark's Toyota

• Yes - We need some place of Serenity away from the Corporations
    • No - Allow the Corporations to Advertize on Public Property
    • I don't care

Apparently the County Parks & Recreation department is considering an offer from Scott Clark's Toyota City to rename the bandshell in Freedom Park to the Scott Clark's Toyota City Band shell. The department will get $100,000 for this accomidation. Have naming rights gone too far?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:sick: You have got to be kidding me. :wacko:

Obviously the money is talking really loud and the department just cant ignore it. This is a prime example of how naming rights have gone too far. Its a mouthful to say and just really tacky. I dont think its necessarilly wrong to have something named for a company or individual. If you have the money to label something and are willing to spend it, go for it. Just dont abuse the name. Why not just, "Scott Clark Bandshell." People are already familiar with the name, so they will make the connection eventually.

I just hope its $100,000 annually for a set number of years; and in addition, that he has a program in place to cross - promote events there for more visibility (perhaps donate some of his ever-present advertising time to plug community concerts to be held there).

That's a heck of a deal if its a one-time payment. They should keep in mind that even if he's only paying for a year, the name will stick even after the agreement ends if no one else takes his place as a name sponsor. It will just stay Scott Clark Toyota by default....At the same time though, they don't want it be a new name every year - it needs some consistancy or no one will know what to call it, and the sponsorship value will become worthless.

If its done properly, makes good business sense for the county and can be done without being incredibly tacky (i.e. no big permanant signage - just a tasteful logo here and there during events), then I'm fine with it.

If they were only to install a placard or something near the bandshell thanking Scott Clark (Toyota City or otherwise) for their donation then I'm fine with that. But if they want to paint in big bold letters "The Scott Clark Toyota City Freedom Park Bandshell" with Toyota "T-ring" logos on the lip of the shell, well... that'd just be tacky.

I have no problem with corporate naming rights simple because I've gotten use to it. I of coarse feel the same way about it as others though, I would like for it to be done in taste. But with the extra money the park & rec will be getting, they can use it on other park & rec improvements, which to me is the bigger picture.

After thinking about this a little bit, I haven't really changed my opinion, but I have decided that I don't think "Scott Clark's Toyota City" is tasteful.

I think that naming rights are fine, and support the public good. But company names should only be allowed if they aren't completely tacky, like "Toyota City". They could name it Scott Clark Band Shell and people will associate that with Toyota City. :)

I even cringe to hear sports buildings with tacky business names. I don't even really like "Bank of America Stadium". "Ericsson Stadium" at least sounded like a person.

It also raises the ugly question of what to do when the name of the corporate entity changes, or the corporation itself is disgraced. Remember Enron Field in Houston? The Fleet Center in Boston may have a new name now, but I can't even recall what it is...Bank of America Center?

How the heck did Scott Clark even come up with this scheme? What were the chain of events? He and the wife were strolling through the park and he thought, "You know what? This region would be a great place to advertise the dearlership. It's just so... what are the words I'm looking for... peaceful and tranquil now. I don't know why no one has jumped on the opportunity to fill our parks with advertisements before. I'm a genius!" WTF? I'll bet that's exactly how it happened. He'd get more bang for his $100K if he bought the naming rights to a freeway overpass.

Archived