Williamson County Airport

ATLBrain

Am I the only one who saw this and rolled my eyes (and it's kind of hard to read doing that).

Anyway in today's Tennessean business briefs, there's a report about a CEO of a company in Williamson who wants an airport there now. So after the mass exodus of companies to Franklin and Brentwood, now the executives there can't be inconvenienced by driving the extra 15 minutes to get to N'Intl/BNA or 20 minutes to John Tune. I find this mildly annoying.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...6/1436/BUSINESS

Having thought about the whole Williamson vs. DT thing... I'm beginning to think that DT would benefit (I don't know how much though) from the explosive growth in Sumner (especially) and somewhat from Hermitage/Wilson Co. future growth. I wonder how folks in the Nashville area feel about this. Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves. <_<

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's silly. I've always felt that Williamson Countians maintain a sense of entitlement. I have an old friend who moved to Franklin from Nashville a few years ago because "of the schools" and of a growing fear of urban crime. Blah. This thinking is what causes "white flight" and suburban sprawl: "Let's encircle ourselves with a bunch of likewise wealthy whites and everything will be just swell."

Another, in a long line of reason, why I HATE Williamson County and some of it's goofy arse business leaders. These people just think they are better than everyone else. Tell me mister CEO, how many other cities do you see the thing you are wanting happening in right now????? NONE!!! Get with the program, or get the heck OUT!!! Sorry. That is just a stupid article that I wouldn't have given press time.

The irony here is that ultimately Williamson will become like any urban core and have all the urban problems that other places see.

It wasn't too long ago that the county where I grew up (Cobb outside of Atlanta) was called "Snob" County. They fought like hell to keep Marta out and for a long time they had the "refuge" from Atlanta that they wanted. But when it reached 300K, the floodgates couldn't be held anymore. Consequently, we've had hellacious traffic, declining schools, higher taxes, higher crime, and it's just like any other place around Atlanta. This too will happen in the next 10-15 years to Williamson.

Aww I feel so bad for all of those spoiled rich people down there! How can we expect them to have to spend an extra FIFTEEN MINUTES (COME ON PEOPLE! BE REASONABLE!) in their Mercedes Benzes AND have to deal with all the common folk at the commoners' airport? The selfishness of low and middle class people never ceases to amaze me! :sick:

I don't think this is supposed to be the whole rich-vs-poor argument everyone is making it out to be. Let's think about a few things. Smyrna is not quite so rich, but has an airport. Murfreesboro, about 15 minutes from Smyrna, HAS AN AIRPORT TOO! Why do Smyrna and Murfreesboro need seperate airports? I have no idea! I live in Rutherford County and have never been to either airport!

I don't think this has anything to do with being wealthy and snobby and not wanting to interact with other people. I think it has to do with the fact that there are probably as many private plane owners in Williamson County as there are in the rest of the mid-state combined, and they'd rather just keep it in their home county. The only thing I don't spport is goverment subsidy of a new airport. If Williamson is a good place for a small airport, the private sector will see to it. That's my opinion on it

From a pure county economic viewpoint, I think there is a need for Williamson County to have an airport. Rightly or wrongly corporate types and businessess like having as immediate access to air assets as possible, and 15-30 min lost in commute to BNA is 15-30 min they could be closer to completing whatever business they are off to take care of. If you want to draw more industry and corporate jobs the more immediate adequate airport facilities are the better you will do in recruiting new economic activity.

A Williamson County airport would not only mean businesses would be closer to the airport would face less time delays for gaining access to their corporate airplanes -which is probably the biggest reason the airport is wanted by local business interests.

I don't think this is supposed to be the whole rich-vs-poor argument everyone is making it out to be. Let's think about a few things. Smyrna is not quite so rich, but has an airport. Murfreesboro, about 15 minutes from Smyrna, HAS AN AIRPORT TOO! Why do Smyrna and Murfreesboro need seperate airports? I have no idea! I live in Rutherford County and have never been to either airport!

I don't think this has anything to do with being wealthy and snobby and not wanting to interact with other people. I think it has to do with the fact that there are probably as many private plane owners in Williamson County as there are in the rest of the mid-state combined, and they'd rather just keep it in their home county. The only thing I don't spport is goverment subsidy of a new airport. If Williamson is a good place for a small airport, the private sector will see to it. That's my opinion on it

Well said! I agree with every word of it ^^ Although, something tells me a Williamson co. airport would have a greater-than-average number of corporate jets flying in and out of there - but that's a good thing.

Because Smyrna used to be an Airforce Base. Not to mention the airport in Murfreesboro is basically a training ground for MTSU. It is hardly a desirable place ot fly into, unless you are a single pilot.

I agree with RK. Business is a fast world. Traffic, construction, and distance from BNA to Franklin is a handicap. I don't think this will be a big airport but rather just a place for charters and private planes. IMO Williamson deserves an airport . BNA, Lebanon, John C. Tune, Murfessboro, and Smyrna are the only airports I know of in Metro Nashville. If Lebanon has one, why not Franklin?

Look at Memphis' airports for example:

Dewitt Spain and West Memphis serves Downtown

Millington (which has 2 airports) and Covington serves the northern part of Shelby County

Olive Branch and Wolf River Airport takes care of Southeast Shelby County

The Wilson Air Center at MEM serves the southern part and majority of the city

Fayette County Airport serves the Cordova-East Shelby County area

and Tunica holds its own traffic

You guys are missing the points here. You don't just stick a small airport out next to every office park becuase the offices are whinners about driving 15 (FIFTEEN) minutes into the "city". Think of the amount of government money involved, and there is gov. money used because of regulations and the FAA. Show me another metro where the rich, and that is basically what Willilamson is, have their own airports and their own everything else. You really can't cause there isn't a such thing. Not to mention it is a great idea on paper, but just stupid in a real life scenario. The fact that Smyrna and BNA are so close by hasn't hindered recruitment of businesses in the past and I doubt it will in the future. This is just one mans (idiots) dream that he thinks would be a sheek idea for his neighborhood. He is a amateur for crying out loud.

From a pure county economic viewpoint, I think there is a need for Williamson County to have an airport. Rightly or wrongly corporate types and businessess like having as immediate access to air assets as possible, and 15-30 min lost in commute to BNA is 15-30 min they could be closer to completing whatever business they are off to take care of. If you want to draw more industry and corporate jobs the more immediate adequate airport facilities are the better you will do in recruiting new economic activity.

A Williamson County airport would not only mean businesses would be closer to the airport would face less time delays for gaining access to their corporate airplanes -which is probably the biggest reason the airport is wanted by local business interests.

RK, with all due respect.....there isn't any construction between Williamson County and BNA or Smyrna unless you take I-40. Briley Parkway is clear all the way to the terminal. The state has said that no more construction projects are planned after this wave for a couple of years. So the whole delay thing isn't a hugely valid point in that case. other than that.....delays are part of living and doing business in the city......buy a helicopter.

I doubt that this airport would ever serve anything other than corporate flyers and private jets. Plus, I doubt much will ever even leave the region. This isn't meant to challenge BNA.

Besides, all of the upper class people I know are the ones trying to book a flight on Southwest as often as they can. Most people in Franklin are not snobs. Trust me. I deal with them everyday.

Again, I don't think this will really be a hinderance to BNA. It will only serve a small group of Nashville's business.

Think of the amount of government money involved, and there is gov. money used because of regulations and the FAA. Show me another metro where the rich, and that is basically what Willilamson is, have their own airports and their own everything else. You really can't cause there isn't a such thing.

I agree it's a lot of tax dollars that would inevitably be involved, even if the airport was 100% privately constructed which, of course, it wouldn't be. I'm no airport geek, but I assume FAA and tax money involvement at some point.

But I would tell you this--Olive Branch MS is as wealthy as Franklin, and OB's airport was built to serve wealthy East Shelby county, and I think that sort of thing isn't as odd nationally as you might think.

I'm not saying a Williamson airport's a good idea, just that the rich get richer . . . . .

I guess I didn't think too much about this because we had a thread about an airport in Williamson county several months ago.

I think they do need a small municipal airport there because of the size of the county now. I don't think money would be an issue because there is so much down there and it could be done probably with private funds. I don't think it would hurt the other airports in Nashville as much as Murfreesboro or Smyrna. If they need public funds , I don't think they would have a problem in Williamson County with the tax base they have there.

I found the old thread too if anyone wants to read more.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18637

RK, with all due respect.....there isn't any construction between Williamson County and BNA or Smyrna unless you take I-40. Briley Parkway is clear all the way to the terminal. The state has said that no more construction projects are planned after this wave for a couple of years. So the whole delay thing isn't a hugely valid point in that case. other than that.....delays are part of living and doing business in the city......buy a helicopter.

With all respect to your opinion as well, I simply have a differing view of the economic need of the airport, there is nothing wrong with having differing opinions :).

Even without delays, it still takes extra time to go to BNA, park, get to your plane, wait for clearance to taxi and take off, etc. A local airport servicing Williamson County would be significantly faster for these individuals to access their corporate jets compared to BNA simply due to it not being an international airport geared for commercial flights and having less traffic. Basically we are talking about the right of a county to have their own airport, whether or not the metro thinks they need it is rather mute really IMO, and if the county decides to or not to build I think its basically their right to do so based on what they deem the county needs and what their citzenry wants. The other major upside with a Williamson Co. airport is that I think an airport might attract even more corporate and business assets to locate/relocate to Williamson and thus the Nashville Metro, which would I think would be a good thing no matter how you look at. The better your air facilities are the more attractive industry finds a region, so I see an airport in the county as a positive asset.

To put it simply, I just don't see how an airport geared towards mainly private aircraft hurts BNA that badly or really negatively affects the rest of the metro.

This is just my take. I respect everyone else's opinions that disagree with it. :D

I think an airport in williamson county would be a great thing. its the richest county in the state and has a fairly large population. i think alot of people on this forum forget that when a business relocates to franklin or cool springs from out of state it is still a good thing for the state and nashville economy. just because it doesn't go downtown in a big tower doesn't change the fact that it is really helping our economy and providing jobs. williamson county is not evil. would you rather businesses locate to cool springs or charlotte or atlanta or jacksonville, etc. etc.

while i certainly don't think that the airport should be financed by the state or county governments, i think that it's not ridiculous for an airport to be requested for the area - especially with additions like nissan among others.

and as far as the distance....the nashville airport is quite a bit further than 15 minutes from most of williamson county. in fact from parts of franklin it could easily take an hour during rush hour (if not more).

I completely agree with rural king in that an airport in williamson county will just go on to encourage for relocations and more growth (however ugly it might be). Remember, williamson is part of the nashville metro - almost everything that happens there will affect nashville in a positive or negative way.

I just don't see this as attracting any more industry than already has been in the future. They deal with traffic, construction, and the airport "routine" in any city business or pleasure. I doubt it will make or break Nashville and Franklin for that matter. If they really needed one, you would hear a louder voice coming from Williamson County. Not some amateur pilot that thinks flying is a cool way to blow off steam. I am not opposed to a small John Tune type airport, but anything bigger is just stupid and down right not needed. All respect for other opinions though fellas. You know how I am about our neighbors to the south.

I don't have a problem with a Williamson Co. airport. Today, the planes that would be there are scattered, but mostly at Tune. They only need a Tune type small airport and it would not compete with BNA by any means. In fact, it would take a few corporate jets out of BNA which would be a good thing - leave the big boys alone.

I lived in St. Louis for eight (long) years. The Williamson Co./Brentwood area in STL is Chesterfield and they have two airports. They are a good thing - keep amatuers and corp jets out of Lambert (the big airport). (Don't take this the wrong way - think safety) I'd rather see a plane crash in Williamson Co. than in the Donnelson area

I hope they raise the taxes in Williamson Co. to pay for it!

I tend to agree with Lexy on this one. YES, in the business world, time is money...but come on people, 15 minutes is 15 minutes. If they're THAT worried about time lost then why doesn't EACH office building build their own private runway? I mean, it's pretty ridiculous that the county would spend money on an airport when it has so many other problems to worry about. Obviously the fact that Williamson County does not have an airport within its borders is not hurting it economically. If you want to go by the business angle, look at Chicago for just one example. The Loop is at least 20 minutes from Midway or O'hare on a good day. Meigs was shut down several years ago to be turned into a bird sanctuary and beach, which is was originally built to be. Do you see the corporate offices in downtown Chicago suffering because they don't have a runway right outside their door? I don't. Perhaps i'm just not well in tune with the business world, I don't know, but to me it seems like Williamson County wants this airport to 'keep up with the jones' and not because the lack of one legitimately hurts business...because it obviously doesn't. If it was that important then Nissan would've moved to East Nashville.

I tend to agree with Lexy on this one. YES, in the business world, time is money...but come on people, 15 minutes is 15 minutes. If they're THAT worried about time lost then why doesn't EACH office building build their own private runway? I mean, it's pretty ridiculous that the county would spend money on an airport when it has so many other problems to worry about. Obviously the fact that Williamson County does not have an airport within its borders is not hurting it economically. If you want to go by the business angle, look at Chicago for just one example. The Loop is at least 20 minutes from Midway or O'hare on a good day. Meigs was shut down several years ago to be turned into a bird sanctuary and beach, which is was originally built to be. Do you see the corporate offices in downtown Chicago suffering because they don't have a runway right outside their door? I don't. Perhaps i'm just not well in tune with the business world, I don't know, but to me it seems like Williamson County wants this airport to 'keep up with the jones' and not because the lack of one legitimately hurts business...because it obviously doesn't. If it was that important then Nissan would've moved to East Nashville.

The airport planned for Franklin will be nowhere near the size of Midway! Only one runway, a small terminal building, and a couple of hangars. Chicagoland has airports all over. According to the google map, Lake in the Hills, Gary, Cambell, Dupage, Palwaukee, Lansing, Clow, Griffith-Merrivlle, and New Lenox Howell are just a few examples.

LAX and Santa Monica's airport are only 15 minutes apart.

Memphis' Millington Municpial is only 15 minutes north of Charles Baker Airport, which is only another 15 minutes north of Dewitt Spain Downtown Airport.

Actually, try 45 to 60 minutes to BNA. None of y'all have evidently driven from Franklin to the airport. It isn't a little 10 minute trip. That can barely get you to Brentwood. I'm not saying 50 minutes is a long unbearable expedition, but I'm just getting the facts straight. There's another thread here makin fun of the reporters getting the facts wrong, but many of you are doing it right here. I just thought we should be dealing with the truth here.

^^ I agree, from Franklin anyway. I've driven to Franklin and back many times, from Hermitage... and its at least a 25-30 min drive with average traffic, and depending on where you're goin.

As to the airport situation.... I don't see how it would really hurt much. Like others have said, it doesn't sound like any competition to BNA really. With all the corp. offices in that area... why not?

Archived