Home Prices

jpl02

Report: Home prices blunt area's edge

The housing boom is pricing middle-income professionals out of Miami, says an economic development group, which suggests a regional summit on the issue.

Link to story here

Yes, there are a few affordable areas that the article lists.....I happen to be from one of them (Carol City). Carol City may be affordable, but quite frankly, who'd want to move there? The area is run down and the residents are awful people. Oftentimes, affordability comes with sacrifices, as is the case here. Affordable homes, but awful schools, high crime. But most of all, I'm sure potential homebuyers do not want to be the token white (or Hispanic) family in the entire neighborhood.

On the other hand, I would definitely like to see a rebirth of Carol City. It's an awful place, but it has the potential to be a desirable place to raise a family. Gentrification is happening in the inner cities.....it's just a matter of time before it happens to the "inner ring" 'burbs like Carol City and Hialeah.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Report: Home prices blunt area's edge

The housing boom is pricing middle-income professionals out of Miami, says an economic development group, which suggests a regional summit on the issue.

Link to story here

Yes, there are a few affordable areas that the article lists.....I happen to be from one of them (Carol City). Carol City may be affordable, but quite frankly, who'd want to move there? The area is run down and the residents are awful people. Oftentimes, affordability comes with sacrifices, as is the case here. Affordable homes, but awful schools, high crime. But most of all, I'm sure potential homebuyers do not want to be the token white (or Hispanic) family in the entire neighborhood.

On the other hand, I would definitely like to see a rebirth of Carol City. It's an awful place, but it has the potential to be a desirable place to raise a family. Gentrification is happening in the inner cities.....it's just a matter of time before it happens to the "inner ring" 'burbs like Carol City and Hialeah.

With the proper incentives the area can become vibrant and nice, but it needs to maintain its affordability, and the ethnic diversity. An area can be mostly black, Haitian, and others from the Caribbean and still be a very nice place to live. The people there need economic empowerment. The black people of all different races are discriminated against in Miami-Dade by the Hispanics and whites, that must stop. Bottom line, Carol City needs some new mixed use residential buildings with tough rent control, and more police community partnership. The goal of a nice, and safe Carol City can be achieved and probably will be because of its low cost of land, but it must not come at the price of expelling its black residents.

I am white and I live in a community in Broward County that is mostly black people from the Caribbean, and it is a lovely well kept community. We have whites, Hispanics, black Americans, and many from Jamaica and Trinidad and Haiti.

I have often heard carribbean blacks refer to American blacks as lazy and stupid.

Racism crosses all color barriers.

That is true, I have heard that as well, but the vast majority of racism directed at black people of all races here in South Florida is from the white and Hispanic community. There is no getting around that fact.

I have often heard carribbean blacks refer to American blacks as lazy and stupid.

Racism crosses all color barriers.

Is it racism when a certain group of blacks critizices another group of blacks based on their observations of that group? Is that still racism when they belong to the same race? Besides, some of those criticisms are statistically backed in the opinion of the ones doing the criticism. For example, I read that Jamaicans are the most successful blacks in this country, they rely least on welfare and government assistance and work more.

I would have to disagree with what the first few people have said. Everyone loves to cry racism in South Florida. Everything is always racially polarized. That's the one thing I DON'T MISS about South Florida since I've moved from there.

I'm not denying that racism doesn't exist down there. But I'm sick and tired of people in North Dade beotching about their communities and how nobody cares about them. Truth be told, they created the mess they're in. You know the reason why Carol City is such a craphole? It's because of the people that live there. They choose to be classless slobs and let their kids run wild and keep their houses unkempt. That's not racism folks. People aren't going to live in communities like that, even if they are affordable. Do you think I like being mugged in front of my own house? If I could count the times people have yelled "cracker" at me, I'd be a rich man.

larrysofla, you answered your own question when you mention Caribbean islanders in your neighborhood. I have found Caribbean folks to be nothing but pleasant and hardworking. Let's compare Carol City with East Miramar. Both are solidly black. But Miramar is a VERY pleasant place because most of the blacks there are Caribbean. Drive through the neighborhoods in both cities. In Miramar, houses are well kept, there are no questionable people out on the street, people are nice. Carol City.....it's dirty, unkept, crime ridden, and the people are the biggest jackasses on the planet. And it's no surprise that here are very few Caribbean blacks in Carol City. Would I live in CC? HELL NO. Would I live in Miramar. Yes, very much so.

It's not racism folks, it's about a group of people, regardless of color, and how they choose to live. Bottom line is, Carol City is affordable, but it's not a desirable place to raise a family, at all. And desirability and quality of life is what most of us are looking for, aren't we?

Archived