WANDERING: MetroLofts

there's going to be another "service road" in a later phase of the I-Way (from Point Street to Broadway). Are there any "numbered" streets in Providence that could be used? Like, is this service road #7 (I think)? - they could rename it 7th Ave. and 8th Ave., etc.

"Broadway and 7th"

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed.

But maybe the ORIGINAL opposition did what it was supposed to - resulted in a better, more sustainable project that fits in better with both neighborhoods it abuts. SO, perhaps the process works (at least kinda)...

Now, I think its time to let it go (though it would be wise to require say 9 units be affordable to real people..., in say the $190k range, or $500k be paid into the affordable housing trust fund...)

Well, it's pretty safe to assume the genuine meaning of that statement. It's rather redundant to even bother mentioning, honestly, especially about a month and a half after the fact. I'd also like to think that we're all past picking at minute wording oversights, it only creates tension, and I'm sure that we all know what was meant. Oh, and ending your post with "think about that and have a good holiday" sounds awfully condescending. I'm most certainly sure that you didn't mean to come off that way, but I suppose we can't all always word things the way that we intend to. If you WERE intentionally being condescending, I think I'd feel the urge to succumb to a wording mistake as well.

Now, back to the topic of THIS month.

As for the building, I'm agreeing with most of the criticisms of this structure. It's not an abomination, by any means, it just seems out of place for all of that to be going on without some grounding features. I like the idea of incorporating brick into the mid-section, at least to see. It'd be a fine addition to the jewelry district, but in it's current state, it's a little awkward in it's current location. I don't think I'd necessarily oppose seeing it built though.

As far as Lyman street goes, which is really just an alleyway, the plans were to have retail go here. It is one issue that people are concerned about. What kind of quality retail are you going to be able to attract for an alleyway?. There is no plans to have Lyman connect to the service road.

I think a compact city in search of economic development need to utilize all of its space efficiently in as entrepreneurial a manner as possible. This includes finding ways to develop alleys as places to locate small businesses and provide connections between streets. Carving out small spaces in buildings for businesses whose entrances would be located in alleys could provide a relatively cheap location for small businesses to locate given the high cost per square foot in Providence. At the minimum, it could provide businesses with a temporary, inexpensive space to get their feet on solid ground until they are able to grow and find larger space, at which time another small business would move into the small space just vacated. This potential that I feel alleys and similar small streets provide is one of the reasons I am against street abandonments. That is why I feel the city should explore these opportunities to develop more alleys.

Archived