WANDERING: MetroLofts

Why is the concern that, being on a hill, these looking like the tallest in the city such a bad thing? If anything, I think it'll help boost the profile of the city. I understand concerns about overwhelming neighborhoods with development, but isn't development and the extension of the urban core of Providence a good goal to strive for?

yes, exactly

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that comment about this appearing to be the tallest structure in the city a slight exaggeration. As the article says,

The tallest tower would... the same height as the adjacent Dominica Manor.

I've never heard of anyone, looking at the city from any perspective, mistake Dominica Manor for the city's tallest, so why should MetroLofts be any different?

with all the talk about 95 creating a "barrier", what happened to the idea of decking over the highway and putting in parks? a dead idea?

I think the idea was killed because it would create an even larger swath of land for the city not to shovel after snowstorms... making for an even more treacherous journey between downtown and the west side... :D

I think that comment about this appearing to be the tallest structure in the city a slight exaggeration. As the article says,

I've never heard of anyone, looking at the city from any perspective, mistake Dominica Manor for the city's tallest, so why should MetroLofts be any different?

good point

based in fact

i love when people say smart things on here

I think the idea was killed because it would create an even larger swath of land for the city not to shovel after snowstorms... making for an even more treacherous journey between downtown and the west side... :D

Or a potentially dangerous drive through the city on 95. Remember the Hartford Civic Center?

Or a potentially dangerous drive through the city on 95. Remember the Hartford Civic Center?

that was just plain old poor engineering. the guy who designed that roof didn't take into account the weight of snow/ice/water. funny thing. he also designed the library at uconn. guess what he forgot there? the books. they had to completely renovate the building because of his poor engineering skills (bricks had begun to fall off the side of the building)... he also happened to be a uconn engineering grad.

• 4 weeks later...

I went into boston yesterday to see Radiohead and in the South End, near Teradyne, there was a relatively new building which looked a lot like this Metrolofts proposal. I'm not sure why I haven't noticed them before. Or, maybe I did and just didn't open the memory bank. Although they do not appear on any satellite imagery and going from the status of the Big Dig on Live Local that would mean they are less than two years old.

I went into boston yesterday to see Radiohead and in the South End, near Teradyne, there was a relatively new building which looked a lot like this Metrolofts proposal. I'm not sure why I haven't noticed them before. Or, maybe I did and just didn't open the memory bank. Although they do not appear on any satellite imagery and going from the status of the Big Dig on Live Local that would mean they are less than two years old.

I was in Boston again this weekend and got a better feel for the location, which allowed me to find it under construction on Live Local

Here is the Emporis page, which unfortunately only has renders. final height is 260 ft. or so which is a little bigger than Metrolofts would be, but I think the finish at the top is similar.

Here is the building's website, which only has a couple of pictures of the building and more of the luxury condos inside of it.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone heard any mention of this project recently?

They are also having issues with an 'abutter' and I believe they've dangled somesort of grocery store out there to try to shake off the WBNA, but I don't believe that has worked.

What does WBNA not like?

Height, but really they are using this project as a way to fight the entire process. I can't fully fault them for that, the process is broken. I wish they'd see the merit of this project though.

Height, but really they are using this project as a way to fight the entire process. I can't fully fault them for that, the process is broken. I wish they'd see the merit of this project though.

while i won't speak for the folks at the WBNA i think they also are uncomfortable with the scale of this building, the size, the massing--not just the height as compared to buildings around it...

while i won't speak for the folks at the WBNA i think they also are uncomfortable with the scale of this building, the size, the massing--not just the height as compared to buildings around it...

That makes some sense. I wish their website was better - all they mention about MetroLofts is that it will ruin "the fabric of the neighborhood." At least provide some details!

They are also having issues with an 'abutter' and I believe they've dangled somesort of grocery store out there to try to shake off the WBNA, but I don't believe that has worked.

Would the abutter be the White Electric condos? They have some gorgeous city views from their decks that would be completely blocked.

Overall I like this project. I think it will help to bridge the highway.

Would the abutter be the White Electric condos? They have some gorgeous city views from their decks that would be completely blocked.

Overall I like this project. I think it will help to bridge the highway.

I like this project too. I can understand why an abutter who stands to lose views would raise objections, but the WBNA opposition seems unreasonable to me. The scale is totally in line with the highway and the nearby buildings in the CBD.

Between this and the Atwells parcel next door I do wonder if everyone wouldn't just be happier maintaining the highway as the dividing line and building up Downcity and the JD first. I personally don't have a strong opinion either way, but I do think that if there is demand for a couple of 300 footers on these parcels, then if thye don't get build there should be similar demand for a couple of 300 footers on the W streets.

I'm not sure what the WBNA really wants for connection to Downcity. Like everyone it seems that they want the connection for all of the positive reasons but aren't willing to accept the negative ones. I guess this is basic human nature but it is kind of frustrating.

Between this and the Atwells parcel next door I do wonder if everyone wouldn't just be happier maintaining the highway as the dividing line and building up Downcity and the JD first. I personally don't have a strong opinion either way, but I do think that if there is demand for a couple of 300 footers on these parcels, then if thye don't get build there should be similar demand for a couple of 300 footers on the W streets.

I'm not sure what the WBNA really wants for connection to Downcity. Like everyone it seems that they want the connection for all of the positive reasons but aren't willing to accept the negative ones. I guess this is basic human nature but it is kind of frustrating.

how is a 300 footer a negative thing? i don't think the WBNA knows what they want. it seems they don't really want major change, they're happy with things the way they are. this project would be great for the neighborhood.

They might be objecting, but there is also a law firm between this project and White Electric.

how is a 300 footer a negative thing? i don't think the WBNA knows what they want. it seems they don't really want major change, they're happy with things the way they are. this project would be great for the neighborhood.

I don't think they are a bad thing but I also think Downcity is less built out than it could be. Perhaps by building Grant's Block as Metrolofts and then occupying one of the other crappy parking lots on Westminster there will be more of a neighborhood created.

Obviously, this kind of compromise is SimCity thinking as the parcels are owned by different people, but I could buy an argument that Downcity should get more fully built out before expanding the skyline across 95. I think I would prefer that these projects happen on these parcels, but I'm not married to the idea.

Archived