Tourism in Augusta

PJA

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ That's great news. You may want to remove the article text before one of the mods sees it though... They're very strict on the rules regarding posting news articles.

Back on topic: This is something that I've always wondered about. What kind of draws does Augusta really have other than golf? If I were a tourist coming to Augusta, what would be my "must-see" places. I supposed I may be jaded because I'm a local, but I have a hard time figuring out what Augusta may offer the average tourist (other than golf)...

^ That's great news. You may want to remove the article text before one of the mods sees it though... They're very strict on the rules regarding posting news articles.

Back on topic: This is something that I've always wondered about. What kind of draws does Augusta really have other than golf? If I were a tourist coming to Augusta, what would be my "must-see" places. I supposed I may be jaded because I'm a local, but I have a hard time figuring out what Augusta may offer the average tourist (other than golf)...

I don't think Augusta has many huge tourist attractions. I know there's Fort Discovery, the Riverwalk and the Georgia Golf Hall of Fame & Botanical Gardens. They probably only attract people from other parts of GA, SC, and Alabama though. The Riverwalk probably only attracts people 100 to 150 miles away.

I do know that when a lot of people come to Atlanta from the north, they stop in Augusta for a day or so. A lot of out of towners like the environment that Augusta has to offer.

Also, according to a news story on on one of the local channels here, there was a Family Reunion workshop held. For the past two years family reunions have brought over 5 million dollars into the the community from people coming to reunions who also participate in tourism while here. Woodrow Wilson's childhood home, The Golf Hall of Fame and Botanical Gardens, the Augusta Canal and Ft. Discovery are popular destinations.

I would imagine history buffs would like visiting Augusta, since it does have a fairly large historical district. Golfers would love the Hall of Fame but the Botanical Gardens is not quite what I would call a real Botanical Garden. Fort Discovery is interesting but lots of large cities have Science Museums. Hmmm, unless I was a Golf fanatic I dont think Id choose to visit Augusta if I were from somwhere else. Its a nice city, Georgias second largest in every way...but it just doesnt have too much appeal for tourists IMO. That could be (and apparently is) changing though.

So, what are the 5 new hotels coming to the metro area next year?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I found an interesting article about the Botanical Gardens and the Golf Hall Of Fame Museum. Here it is.

Golf Hall Of Fame Holdup

Hello everyone--I visit Augusta from time to time, and I'll tell you what I love about it since I'm not a golfer. Here are 2 more things that are way cool that you may not have thought about, and could/should be promoted more by the city:

Broad Street's funky scene. The Soul Bar led the way, and the revitalization has really boomed. The connection with James Brown is one of huge potential, and the bar scene downtown, if that's your thing, is awesome! The new restaurants and coffehouses just add so much vitality to the city's core. Not many cities Augusta's size can boast such a vibrant downtown at night--bigger cities roll up the sidewalk even!

Summerville. The Partridge Inn, and the whole gorgeous neighborhood up the hill, especially in spring, are absolutely charming. Summerville is imminently walkable, jog-able, or, in my case, bikeable. I take my bike, stay at the Partridge Inn, and just soak in spring every year on the veranda! Of course, now that it is closed for renovation, I will have to limit my trips to day trips. No problem, especially combined with Aiken, with its antiquing and gorgeous walkabilty/bikeability, restaurants, cottages, and charm galore!

I think I'll stay in Aiken until the Partridge Inn is back, then venture to Augusta for biking the Canal or Summerville and then take in some of the night life . . hmmm . . So, anyway, that's an out-of-towner's perspective on your fabulous and fun city--don't take it for granted, and get out there and enjoy it!

Thanks for your insight, Sandlapper, and I completely agree with the points you've mentioned. I've only ever lived in areas that have a very active downtown nightlife scene (Augusta, Orlando, Miami/Miami Beach) so I do take it for granted a bit.

Speaking of tourism in Aiken, the first event of the Spring Triple Crown was held last weekend and will continue through the next two weekends. The events draw between 25,000 - 50,000 spectators to Aiken. They're antipating at least 30,000 for the Steeplechase this weekend...

Augusta has definately blossomed with its nightlife scene...especially in the last 5-6 years that Ive been gone. Back in the 90's there was only one (or at most 2) gay bars in the metro area. Now there are 6 bars (I believe) between Augusta and Aiken. As scary as it seems (and IS) the Parliment resort on Gordon Highway has done ALOT for gay tourism in the city.

Downtown, the Soul Bar, Joes Underground, The Word of Mouth and a few others were the only after-dark options. Now Broad street is lined with clubs, bars and coffee shops...that actually look DECENT!!

• 1 month later...

I couldnt find an appropriate thread so I thought this one came the closest. Has anyone from Augusta heard the rumor that Bill Gates is building a home on Walton Way? My Father pointed out the house being built in question the other day after a doctors appointment and said he had heard from several sources it was being built by Bill Gates as a home to stay in when he plays golf at the Augusta National, although he said it was purely a rumor. The house is a humongous yellow monstrosity near where Walton Way becomes Walton Way Extension. Anyone else heard this rumor? Do we know if there is any truth to it?

An 18 hole putting golf course is being constructed at Georgia Golf Hall of Fame and Botanical Gardens. It is expected to be completed by fall. This area is drawing attention from the Georgia Department of Economic Development as they hold their quarterly meeting tomorrow in Augusta.

In other golf news, Augusta may be losing it's Municipal Golf course. The city may sell the golf course due to a 30 percent decrease in usage and other issues.

An 18 hole putting golf course is being constructed at Georgia Golf Hall of Fame and Botanical Gardens. It is expected to be completed by fall. This area is drawing attention from the Georgia Department of Economic Development as they hold their quarterly meeting tomorrow in Augusta.

In other golf news, Augusta may be losing it's Municipal Golf course. The city may sell the golf course due to a 30 percent decrease in usage and other issues.

Here's an article about the meeting for the Georgia Department of Economic Development that took place this week. Normally the meeting is held in Atlanta, but it was held in Augusta due to the members wanting to learn about MCG and other facilities. What I found most interesting was the fact that the meeting was well attended by the public in comparison to the normal Atlanta meetings. It shows that the citizens of Augusta want more develpment here. The department is responsible for bringing in new industry, tourist attractions etc. and other economic offereings to the state of Georgia and by them coming to Augusta, that shows that they are now looking outside of Atlanta, their normal meeting place. Anyway here's the article.

The article

• 2 years later...

When tourist are in augusta visiting or on business. This will be a nice place to visit.

Want to go to aqueduct park?

The area features natural waterfalls, rapids and a lagoon.

Mayor Copenhaver said improvements that allow others to enjoy natural resources will expand Augusta's appeal.

"The fastest growing form of tourism in the world is eco-tourism," he said.

• 2 weeks later...

Augusta plans White Water Park

After the brand new Aqueduct Park just opening recently. Augusta is now looking ahead to even bigger and better projects...rafting in the heart of the downtown.

The same folks who brought Aqueduct Park on line are looking to bring in White Water Park. Hudson is with the First Saturday Foundation. He went before the Augusta commission to make his pitch on Thursday.

"You can get in a canoe and ride down this waterway and feel just as cool as a clam," said Scott.

When next summer rolls around for at least two weeks out the month...the First Saturday Crew will ask the city to "Open up those flood gates and let us go swimming," said Scott.

White Water Park is set to open June of 2009. It will run from Sacred Heart down to Hawks Gully. It would be located right under the Calhoun Expressway.

080626-commission-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

NORTH AUGUSTA --- Forty basketball teams, more than 450 college coaches and 1,200 screaming fans and family members create increased cash flow for businesses in the greater Augusta area.

As the Nike Peach Jam settled into North Augusta this week, city officials said they can't calculate the exact economic effect of the AAU boys tournament, but the benefits far outweigh any negatives.

"If you go out in the community, they're enjoying the community and eating in restaurants," said Sam Bennett, city administrator. "It is a great, great coup for us, so folks know who we are on this side of the river."

One downside: With no large hotel or motel, North Augusta lacks the facilities to house teams and visitors.

"Our biggest goal in the future would be to bring hotel rooms to this side of the river to accommodate the things that go on in North Augusta," Mr. Bennett said.

Most of the 2,500 estimated visitors head to Augusta each night.

"We do our part to promote North Augusta restaurants, but it's Augusta that benefits because folks are staying in Augusta," said Rick Meyer, the Riverview Park superintendent of parks, recreation and leisure services.

Mr. Meyer estimates that the immediate impact of the tournament on the area is at least $500,000.

Event brings big money to Augusta area

Archived