Show Norfolk Your Support

johnhowell

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting comments people had. The scores seemed to go up a little after some nice pictures were posted.

But let's be honest. This poll was about impressions of our skyline, as compared to cities throughout the world. It really doesn't have height, nor is it well balanced. There are no great standout structures either. And even when we add Granby Tower and The Ship, the skyline will be spread from end to end with huge holes. We need something very tall just south of MacArthur Mall (40 to 50 storeys).

I'm enjoying watching it improve and grow over time: I've been watching for over 40 years. I wouldn't give it a score like that..it's like having a bunch of dog show judges knock down my wonderful pound puppy.

Interesting comments people had. The scores seemed to go up a little after some nice pictures were posted.

But let's be honest. This poll was about impressions of our skyline, as compared to cities throughout the world. It really doesn't have height, nor is it well balanced. There are no great standout structures either. And even when we add Granby Tower and The Ship, the skyline will be spread from end to end with huge holes. We need something very tall just south of MacArthur Mall (40 to 50 storeys).

I'm enjoying watching it improve and grow over time: I've been watching for over 40 years. I wouldn't give it a score like that..it's like having a bunch of dog show judges knock down my wonderful pound puppy.

By 2010 Norfolk's skyline will look a lot different, vastly improved.

Most people on SSC are impressed only by flash and glam. The purpose of the "rate our talls/rate our skyline" threads are to show off big, bold, powerful, and even flashy skylines from around the world. As it stands now Norfolk simply cannot compete with cities from around the world that are featured there. Maybe future buildings should be considered but they aren't for any city. It's what looks good in pics now that counts there. I just hope that Norfolk's development will keep pace with other cities its size. If you take a look around, Norfolk isn't the only place that will look radically different in 2, 5, or 10 years. Once the new buildings go up, we'll see how Norfolk is rated.

Iammius -

I think you're spot on. At the same time, when you look at other metros and their development, its usually concentrated in a singular city center. In HR we have 7 cities, 3 cities with skylines, and 3-6 (depending who you ask) city centers ... and development is hot in all of them, particularly in Norfolk, VB, NN, Portsmouth, and Hampton. Add the projects together and I think we match or beat out many metros.

It may take longer for us to look uber-urban because of how geographically large and sprawling we are, but when we do it'll be effin killer. Give us light rail and nothing will stop HR. :)

That "Judge the Skyline" thing is complete garbage. This area gets no respect from folks outside of the area. I'm with you Russ, I really don't care what they think. This area has many commercial centers that are really being built up...in 10 years these people who judge our area will be surprised by what they see. We really have something special coming on the scene in the future...we'll have a denser Downtown, a built up Town Center, a classier oceanfront with better hotels and more year round attractions and shopping. This is without saying what could become of things on the otherside of the water and in places like Chesepeake and Portsmouth. This is a great area and we might not get respect from outsiders, but who really needs them anyways.

These people don't reallize the history down on the steet in downtown norfolk. No matter how much a place like charlotte builds up it will never have that history. What makes downtown norfolk so special is it's over 200 years of history, let an architect try and recreate that. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

From an outsider, it really doesn't matter if Norfolk has this grand and gorgeous skyline. Downtown is awesome and very walkable, and many cities with the flashy skylines would kill to have that.

Thanks for the compliment! :thumbsup: I can't wait to see what this city will be like in the next 20 years!

Archived