Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teshadoh

Coretta Scott King Avenue

This came from a discussion with someone on another thread - but in my view, this is inevitable & possibly unprecedented. I'm not familiar with many husband / wife street name pairs anywhere. Some may question the need, which I think is understandable - is Coretta Scott King known mostly for being the wife of Martin Luther King Jr or for her own accomplishments? But she is was also one of Atlanta's most prominant individuals, besides it was her drive to honor her husband with the holiday, & with the MLK Center for Nonviolence.

As for naming streets, I'm not the biggest advocate - but some people simply do deserve to have a street named for them. So, what street should be the new SCK?

My picks:

Boulevard

Memorial Dr

Name a library after her. Name a MARTA stop after her. Leave the street names alone.. To answer your other question, as a 22 year old white male, i know nothing about her except she was Dr. King's wife.

As for naming streets, I'm not the biggest advocate - but some people simply do deserve to have a street named for them. So, what street should be the new SCK?

My picks:

Boulevard

Memorial Dr

I'm not the biggest advocate of naming streets either in most cases. However, I wouldn't necessarily mind having a street named after her.

I could see Memorial or Boulevard being named for her. I'm trying to think of some others that could be named for her. What about Marietta Street?

Why does it have to be a street? Why not name that new park going up on the Beltline after CSK? Renaming streets can be troublesome, especially for people who live/work on them. If a street must be named in her honor let it be one of those new boulevards going up in the woods out in Gwinnett, Bartow, etc. but I wouldn't want tacky suburban sprawl to be associated with my name and she probably wouldn't either.

^ You're right! There are at least 4 parks that will be announced just this year that could be named for her. Not to mention the light rail line could be name for her, the new 'development node' that would develop could honor her in name.

I totally agree, there are more permanent, more beautiful, and more fitting tributes than naming a stretch of asphalt after someone. Though it could also be kind of neat to create a CSK Avenue with an intersection with MLK and have a "King Square" with a monument or a park of some sort.

If they did have to name a street after her I would like to see MLK be converted to Martin Luther & Coretta King Blvd. But, that would be kind of confusing though.

If they did have to name a street after her I would like to see MLK be converted to Martin Luther & Coretta King Blvd. But, that would be kind of confusing though.

That idea occured to me, but I ruled it out because it was a bit on the long side as far street names go.

I totally agree, there are more permanent, more beautiful, and more fitting tributes than naming a stretch of asphalt after someone. Though it could also be kind of neat to create a CSK Avenue with an intersection with MLK and have a "King Square" with a monument or a park of some sort.

That's cool (especially the "King Square"), but I would imagine it would be confusing if they intersected.

I will venture to say that Mrs. King was mostly known for being the wife of MLK, but I firmly believe that MLK would not be the man that he was without Coretta by his side. The King Center was Coretta's vision, and she saw that it came to pass (and to echo Bill Clinton at her funeral, "Atlanta, what will you do about the King Center?"). She also fought hard to get the federal holiday in his name. There are countless other things that she has done which have not received a lot of press, but if you viewed the funeral yesterday, I'm sure you learned a thing or two about this wonderful woman, as I did. It made me appreciate her all the more. Atlanta truly needs to find a fitting and graceful way to honor this champion.