Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cityboi

more photos of downtown Greensboro

11 posts in this topic

These photos that I took show more of the Old Greensborough historic district and the Southside Neighborhood. Southside is the only residential neighborhood that is within the boundaries of the central business district.

OLD GREENSBOROUGH

oldgsoborough1.jpg

oldgsoborough2.jpg

oldgsoborough3.jpg

oldgsoborough4.jpg

SOUTHSIDE NEIGHBORHOOD (live-work townhomes)

oldgsoborough5.jpg

oldgsoborough6.jpg

oldgsoborough7.jpg

oldgsoborough8.jpg

oldgsoborough9.jpg

SINGLE FAMILY HOMES IN THE SOUTHSIDE NEIGHBORHOOD

oldgsoborough10.jpg

oldgsoborough11.jpg

oldgsoborough12.jpg

oldgsoborough13.jpg

MORE OF OLD GREENSBOROUGH

oldgsoborough14.jpg

This building on Davie Street use to be part of a textile mill. It has been converted to apartments.

oldgsoborough15.jpg

oldgsoborough16.jpg

oldgsoborough17.jpg

oldgsoborough18.jpg

oldgsoborough19.jpg

oldgsoborough20.jpg

Action Greensboro, the non-profit responsible for alot of downtown projects, is located in this building. notice the big green water tower to the left. Greensboro is the only big NC city that has a water tower downtown.

oldgsoborough21.jpg

oldgsoborough23.jpg

oldgsoborough24.jpg

The soaring Eugene Street Bridge in the south end of downtown

oldgsoborough22.jpg

Excellent photos, cityboi!!! I enjoyed the tour of the Old Greensboro historic neighborhood. I like the nice transition to taller buildings and in a way it reminds me a lot of Durham and Raleigh. The apartment building on Davie Street seems like a great revitalization effort. Also, Southside looks like a great project that carries lots of promise; are they pretty much done, or is there more development as part of Southside?

Thanks for posting these pics... they all look wonderful!!!

Thanks! Actually they are not even half done with southside. There are going to be more of those Georgetown style town homes and more single family homes. A community park is also planned for the neighborhood. Also another park is proposed (Rail Yard Park) which will stretch about a mile through downtown. This park borders the Southside neighborhood to the north. It will have a mile long mini-lake or waterway and I can only imagine what that landscape will look like! Residents of southside will have the perfect view of Greensboro's skyline with a waterway in the foreground! I can't wait til its all finished!

monsoon, I know civic leaders would like to see Greensboro's central business district population increase to the level of Charlotte's but I don't know exactly how much its increasing now. but you also have to factor in the 5 major historic neighborhoods that surround the central business district (Aycock, Fisher Park, Westerwood, College Hill and Ole Asheboro). While these neighborhoods are not technically within the central business district, they are really a part of the downtown community. There is even talk of expanding the business district into these surrounding neighborhoods at some point.

I know that every city wants to have a sizeable residential community within the core, but we should be more realistic about what to expect for NC cities. Currently, neither major NC city has anything that can be evaluated by the same standards that other, more established cities across the US get evaluated. The population within the city limits means very little; I am actually referring to the urban lifestyle that is very new to NC cities (at least for the last 50-60 years, after our cities started destroying the pure urban form of development).

Honestly, I cannot predict, or even try to imagine how long it will take for DT Greensboro to develop strong residential presence within the core, but having residential neighborhoods within close proximity, along with several destinations, helps to bring people to the core. Quite frankly, Greensboro, Durham and Raleigh share common fate in that area. These cities lack the presence of major banking/finance institutions that could [potentially] make wise investments in these downtowns; not only commercial, but retail and residential, as well. Our biggest hopes come from other companies (Progress Energy, in the case of Raleigh), which realize the potential, even though they lack the big money that could add momentum. I honestly don't know what could boost DT Greensboro's residential presence, but the Southside seems like a great step forward... to the right direction.

Great pictures I love that new house under contrsuction it will tie into the are nicly

Great pics! Greensboro seems to have done a great job maintaining historic its character.

Yea, I hope the city does its best to keep that historical charm.