The future of the old Cotton Mill Square?

cityboi

Remember the Cotton Mill Square in Spring Garden St in Greensboro? It was an old textile plant converted to an outlet mall and had the kind of stores you's see in typical enclosed malls such as The Limited. It was lke a mini mall without a major department store in a historical textile factory with wood floors. It was first called the Greensboro Outlet Mall then the name was changed to Cotton Mill Square. The mall closed down about 9 or 10 years ago due to a major ice storm that hit the region. The mall never opened back up and it sits vacant with weeds growing up through the cracks of the parking lot. I remeber going there alot when I was a kid and I use to always love going during Christmas time because I would get to see Santa. It always smelt good in there during that time of year, you could smell that candy popcorn being made.

What do any of you think should become of the building. Should it be converted into some kind of museum, an entertainment destination with nightclubs and restaurants? or what about a hotel? Could it even be partially converted into a rail stop? The railroad runs right behind the building.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember going there a few times. I ride by it everyday because it's right near my school.

Greensboro has had 4 malls. 2 of them major and the other 2 mini.

Major:

Four Seasons Mall

Carolina Circle Mall (RIP)

Mini:

Forum 6 (RIP)

Cotton Mill Square (RIP)

I think it should be converted into a hotel.

I remember going there a few times. I ride by it everyday because it's right near my school.

Greensboro has had 4 malls. 2 of them major and the other 2 mini.

Major:

Four Seasons Mall

Carolina Circle Mall (RIP)

Mini:

Forum 6 (RIP)

Cotton Mill Square (RIP)

I think it should be converted into a hotel.

If you count Friendly Center, which is an open-air mall, Greensboro had 5 malls. The Forum 6 mini mall was actually located in Friendly Center (a mall within a mall). Its now an office building called Signature Place here is what the inside looks like today. You can tell that it was a mall converted to an office building.

sig_atrium_L.jpg

part of the reason why I think Forum 6 failed was because the stores were to upscale and pricey at the time. you could get a better bargain in the other stores at Friendly Center.

I also think a hotel in the old Cotton Mill Square would be a good idea. include a mini train station too so guests can take a train to downtown Greensboro, the airport or Winston-Salem.

But its time for Greensboro to get another mall, one near Bryan Blvd and the I-840 interchange.

But its time for Greensboro to get another mall, one near Bryan Blvd and the I-840 interchange.

Exactly. Especially to divert some shopping traffic away from Four Seasons.

Back when Carolina Circle Mall was open, Greensboro shopping traffic was evenly distributed to two malls making both malls not too crowded.

Now that CCM is gone, all of the traffic that went to CCM now has to go to FSM. But if a new mall was opened there at Painter Blvd and Bryan Blvd, traffic would be evenly distributed once again.

Exactly. Especially to divert some shopping traffic away from Four Seasons.

Back when Carolina Circle Mall was open, Greensboro shopping traffic was evenly distributed to two malls making both malls not too crowded.

Now that CCM is gone, all of the traffic that went to CCM now has to go to FSM. But if a new mall was opened there at Painter Blvd and Bryan Blvd, traffic would be evenly distributed once again.

Its the perfect location for another mall. It would be located at a major intersection and near the airport. There is alot of residential in that area too, enough to support a mall. People who live in Northeast Greensboro could just get on I-840 directly to the mall. The same for people who live in Southwest Greensboro. People who live more towards the center of town and suburban communties like Summerfield, Oakridge and Stokesdale could just take Bryan Blvd directly to the mall. What better place for a mall than this intersection? I just have a funny feeling a mall and even a few hotels and restaurants are going to be built near that interchange, I'm willing to place a bet on that. Dont forget I-73 will follow this portion of the loop too before being routed along Bryan Blvd westbound then to hwy 68 and finally hwy 220 to Virginia. The I-840/73 and Bryan Blvd interchange will be a major converging point leading to all populated areas of Greensboro and beyond. The land near this interchange will see an explosion of retail development, restaurants, ect. So to prepare for all this growth, the western segment of I-840 should be at least 8 lanes, 4 lanes in each direction. But it wouldnt hurt to bump it up to 10 because there will be alot of traffic in this area. Build a mall here and its like a chain reaction. More and more development will come after that. We should see the highest density of retail/commercial development along the western loop between the Bryan Blvd interchange and Battleground Ave.

web_urban_loop.jpg

The loop is attracting alot of retail

here is a segment of the loop in east Greensboro. As you can see a major shopping center is planned at one of the interchanges. A hotel is proposed to.

willow_site_view.jpg

willow_site_map.jpg

willowlake_site_plan.jpg

SPRAWL............Dont you just love it! But in the case of northeast Greensboro, its needed.

Its the perfect location for another mall. It would be located at a major intersection and near the airport. There is alot of residential in that area too, enough to support a mall. People who live in Northeast Greensboro could just get on I-840 directly to the mall. The same for people who live in Southwest Greensboro. People who live more towards the center of town and suburban communties like Summerfield, Oakridge and Stokesdale could just take Bryan Blvd directly to the mall. What better place for a mall than this intersection? I just have a funny feeling a mall and even a few hotels and restaurants are going to be built near that interchange, I'm willing to place a bet on that. Dont forget I-73 will follow this portion of the loop too before being routed along Bryan Blvd westbound then to hwy 68 and finally hwy 220 to Virginia. The I-840/73 and Bryan Blvd interchange will be a major converging point leading to all populated areas of Greensboro and beyond. The land near this interchange will see an explosion of retail development, restaurants, ect. So to prepare for all this growth, the western segment of I-840 should be at least 8 lanes, 4 lanes in each direction. But it wouldnt hurt to bump it up to 10 because there will be alot of traffic in this area. Build a mall here and its like a chain reaction. More and more development will come after that. We should see the highest density of retail/commercial development along the western loop between the Bryan Blvd interchange and Battleground Ave.

web_urban_loop.jpg

The loop is attracting alot of retail

here is a segment of the loop in east Greensboro. As you can see a major shopping center is planned at one of the interchanges. A hotel is proposed to.

willow_site_view.jpg

willow_site_map.jpg

willowlake_site_plan.jpg

SPRAWL............Dont you just love it! But in the case of northeast Greensboro, its needed.

Willow Lake Town Centre? Never heard of that before. Being of citizen of Northeast Greensboro, I'd love to see that.

amazingly most of Greensboro's old textile factories exist today. There is one near Yancyville St in east Greensboro (former revolution plant) It now being use as a small business incubator. There is another one near the Greensboro Coliseum off of Spring Garden Street and a small one in downtown Greensboro that is now apartments. Greensboro's old RJR tobbaco plant still exist too. It located across the street from the Lorillard Tobbaco plant.

Willow Lake Town Centre? Never heard of that before. Being of citizen of Northeast Greensboro, I'd love to see that.
It's not there....at least not yet.

If I remember correctly, when Cotton Mill Square closed, most of the outlet shops inside had already closed up shop anyway. It is a pretty cool building, but likewise seems there would really need to be some major renovations done to it in order for it to be salvaged for anything. It isnt too far off from Wendover, but it would be a minor winding trip from someone coming from outside of the region off the highway to find it.

If I remember correctly, when Cotton Mill Square closed, most of the outlet shops inside had already closed up shop anyway. It is a pretty cool building, but likewise seems there would really need to be some major renovations done to it in order for it to be salvaged for anything. It isnt too far off from Wendover, but it would be a minor winding trip from someone coming from outside of the region off the highway to find it.

There weren't any real major stores there anyway, as I remember. I think something along the lines of a Burlington Coat Factory was about the best it ever did.

I agree that its biggest problem is that it is (and was) WAY off the beaten path. That's going to seriously hamper any efforts to do anything commercial with it. It's not near much of anything, and it's not really even on very good thoroughfares. Housing or offices would be about the only thing I could imagine, and I doubt there's anywhere near enough demand for either to justify the major expense. Which is sad, because it's a great building.

Until (unless?) Pomona suddenly becomes trendy, my guess is that it's just going to sit there decaying. Right now, the land might not even be valuable enough to justify tearing it down.

I always wondered what was of that old Cotton Mill.. Being a UNCG student, I was highly curious but I haven't got answers til now.

BTW, for several years after being a cotton mill, it was a Western Electric plant. Western Electric was the production end of the great AT&T octopus before the breakup; they made the phones and equipment.

BTW, for several years after being a cotton mill, it was a Western Electric plant. Western Electric was the production end of the great AT&T octopus before the breakup; they made the phones and equipment.

I believe my grandmother (maybe my dad) worked at that Western Electric.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a bit late, but to answer this question there is going to be a 168 furnished student apartments that is suppose to be complete by August 2009. I wonder how this will affect the area that has been depressed for years since cotton mill square's decline and eventual closing? Also, will this extend the "UNCG area" so to speak?

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2...ml?ana=from_rss

UNCG is getting boxed in so its likely we could see UNCG expand closer and closer to Holden Rd as properties become available. I love Spring Garden Street from downtown to Holden Road. Some of the old buildings are there when that part of Greensboro use to be the town of Pamona. Some of the old row commerical buildings make it look like the downtown of a very small town. It really adds nice character to UNCG. Its almost like UNCG has its own little downtown.

The student apartment aspect is interesting. It's nearly as close to Guilford College as it is UNCG & as the bizjournal states there already seems to be a fair amount of "me too" student housing going up around UNCG. Personally, I'm disappointed nobody cared enough to drop the coin to restore & renovate the place. I'll really be bummed if they tear down the old white building at Lee & Fulton where they're currently building apartments.

Can't recall if the neighboring rail line is active, but I think a tram or bike path there would be necessary for it to really be part of the UNCG area.

Archived