The CW in the Triad

DigitalSky

As many of you know, WB and UPN are merging to form one network. As a result, one of the affiliates in the triad will have to become an independent station.

I think whatever happens, the stations will change their call letters. Both stations' current call letters reflect the network that they're affiliated with... WTWB (The WB) and WUPN (UPN).

I think something interesting that could happen is a bigger affiliation switch with ABC moving down to Channel 20 and The CW going to 45, and 48 becoming independent. Does anyone thing this could be a possibility?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As many of you know, WB and UPN are merging to form one network. As a result, one of the affiliates in the triad will have to become an independent station.

I think whatever happens, the stations will change their call letters. Both stations' current call letters reflect the network that they're affiliated with... WTWB (The WB) and WUPN (UPN).

I think something interesting that could happen is a bigger affiliation switch with ABC moving down to Channel 20 and The CW going to 45, and 48 becoming independent. Does anyone thing this could be a possibility?

When are we ever going to get a decent ABC station back in the area but one that does news at every hour the other news stations do. News Central stunk!

I think it should be called UBN for United Broadcasting Company. Also How would all the hit shows Fit.

:wacko:

Well, not all the shows will make the cut for the new network.

When are we ever going to get a decent ABC station back in the area but one that does news at every hour the other news stations do. News Central stunk!

Yes, News Central was the pits. Blame Sinclair, or as i like to call them crapclair

Bring WGHPiedmont back! :)

Not gonna happen. We need a better ABC affiliate than sucky 45 though. If 45 did go CW, I would rebrand them 'CW7' since virtually all cable systems carry them on 7.

Wow, ABC45's coverage sucks. Montgomery County (which is inside the DMA) can't even pick it up... i bet they get better signal from WTVD though.

So 48 would be the better option then.

Edit: looking at the map, steven pointed out that the transmitter for 45 is in higher elevation so I don't know how accurate those maps may be

Wow, ABC45's coverage sucks. Montgomery County (which is inside the DMA) can't even pick it up... i bet they get better signal from WTVD though.

Montgomery County could easily go either in the Raleigh or Charlotte DMA but since US 220 is the direct road to the Triad, this is likely why its part of the Triad DMA. Not only WXLV couldnt make it to Monty County but WXII barely makes it there!

I wouldnt be suprised if most of Montgomery County were able to pick up WSOC clearer than WTVD. Extreme southern Montgomery County would most likely get WPDE and WBTW from the Florence because from personal experience, in the Lake Tillery(where the Pee Dee and Yadkin Rivers meet)/Morrow Mountain area along the Monty/Stanley County line, i was able to get Florence stations very clear up there! I remember in Biscoe, Troy, Star and Candor in Montgomery County, the cable lineup over 10 years ago used to have WRAL on the lineup but now it follows the same cable lineup as Randolph County which are all Triad stations and no other markets.

That's too bad. Funnily enough, WRAL-TV is carried on cable in Greenville, NC -- EVEN though Greenville has its own CBS affiliate, WNCT!

Cable in Richmond County carries WBTV, WRAL and WBTW.

Orange County (Chapel Hill) can pick up WFMY even though it has WTVD. Asheville can also pick up stations in South Carolina also. I was at a friend's weekend house in Murphy and we picked up stations all the way from Atlanta. :w00t:

I think it's just the way the market is. Since Chapel Hill is *strictly* part of the triangle, i think they let them only carry the Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville DMA stations and no stations from outside the market

In Lexington They get Charlotte’s CBS news 3 and WFMY.

:huh:

Tis true, in a lot of border counties of the markets they'll carry one or two stations from a bordering market. In Albemarle i think they carry WGHP. In Wilkesboro they carry a lot of the Charlotte stations even though Wilkersboro is in the G/WS/HP DMA

The line has to be drawn somewhere.

Sadly yes, your right.

Literally, you draw the line in central Jersey with the Philadelphia and New York stations by township boundary lines! For NY/Phila to Phila only AND NY/Phila to NY only goes something like this if i remember correctly. The question marks means that i dont know where it lies exactly but somewhere near it. If one out of market TV station is on the lineup, it counts. Examples are northeastern Monmouth County only has WCAU/NBC 10 from Phila while Franklin Twp in Somerset County only has WHYY PBS out of Philadelphia/Wilmington(DE).

For you all wondering where the official line is drawn; the red line is the borderline of the NY/Phila DMAs. You may have noticed northwestern Ocean County is cut off and thats because Plumstead Township does not recognize NY stations under their cable lineup, only Philadelphia. Mercer County is the only county thats officially in the Philadelphia DMA but gets NYC.

Archived