I know, I know, I'm awesome....

MadVlad

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A question. How exactly would someone start a College if they chose to create one, anyone know?

Ask the guy who started Goodwin College, they seem to be doing pretty good now. I forgot what the institution used to be called, but I know he bought it and rebranded it and is now building new riverfront campus in E. Htfd.

I wish UConn had the stones to just move their whole "Hartford" campus to HARTFORD, and not worry about the wussy commuters who are too 'fraidy to come Downtown. I'm sure they own that land in West Hartford, and could make a killing selling it to McMansion developers... more than enough to gut and renovate Channel 3 and the Sonesta.

I would imagine that starting a college is extremely difficult, takes time and lots of money. I think starting a UCONN franchise school would be better, as it would have the instant presitge of a great state university, and not have to build that up over decades. Like the University of Connecticut at Hartford, with a big new campus focused on business and specialized undergraduate education.

I think we would be better off having U of H or UConn start an Insurance and Finance program that was based downtown. Classes, residences and internships would all be within walking distance. And classes could be taught by industry leaders from the insurance giants. It would help to keep graduates in Hartford and help to create small companies as skilled workers stayed in the area.

That is exactly what we need. But I think a larger program including several areas of study would be more beneficial to the city, as would a campus with some open space, dorms, etc.

Exactly, we need Uconn to move the School of Public Policy to Downtown and have the students regularly interacting with city and state leaders. Uconn also needs to expand it's curricula to include Economic Development and Planning so we can train some damn professionals in Hartford who will care about the city.

Exactly, we need Uconn to move the School of Public Policy to Downtown and have the students regularly interacting with city and state leaders. Uconn also needs to expand it's curricula to include Economic Development and Planning so we can train some damn professionals in Hartford who will care about the city.

See, this is exactly the plan for Constitution College. The location would be Constitution Plaza (hence the name). It would get the foot traffic that the area really needs, and instill some nightlife and activity after 5PM. Especially if the curriculum were to be geared toward business, it would co-exist well with what the UConn School of Business or whatever the heck it is that's already in the area. The real point was to get some students living in Constitution Plaza. It's really a perfect urban setting for that type of thing. I always imagined having a school that is bent toward Insurance, Banking, and that type of industry would thrive in that area. I had really never considered adding economic development and planning, but sure, let's throw that in there too. You can be my Assistant Dean, Tycoon....

Archived