Branson/Springfield

Well Slyder, you have the support of the NWA Forum to help you.

Just Remember the phrase "If you post it, they will come."

I took this advice in the NWA section when we first started it, and look at our forum now, it's one of the busiest on the site.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Slyder, you have the support of the NWA Forum to help you.

Just Remember the phrase "If you post it, they will come."

I took this advice in the NWA section when we first started it, and look at our forum now, it's one of the busiest on the site.

I appreciate everything, THANK YOU! Now I'm just waiting for some Springfieldians to google around and come across this site so we can get some more Springfield and Branson opinions.

I appreciate everything, THANK YOU! Now I'm just waiting for some Springfieldians to google around and come across this site so we can get some more Springfield and Branson opinions.

You know you can help them find this site from Google if you throw a whole mess of commonly searched words into a post and when Google refreshes it's search cache this site will show up more. Just a thought. :D

• 3 weeks later...

You know you can help them find this site from Google if you throw a whole mess of commonly searched words into a post and when Google refreshes it's search cache this site will show up more. Just a thought. :D

Thats a good thought! I will have to put it to use. :D

• 3 months later...

Hey Slyder, I heard about how in Nixa there was a large boom noise the other day?

It was on one of my news channels this morning.

Not sure......were you watching KOLR 10? There was a sink hole that all of the sudden collapsed, in which a house was built on. Is that what your talking about.

Not sure......were you watching KOLR 10? There was a sink hole that all of the sudden collapsed, in which a house was built on. Is that what your talking about.

No, I already heard about the sinkhole. They said that this incident happened this morning, but no other details were available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Even though you called me stupid, I'm going to look past that and be nice :-)

I hate to tell you, but where the city limits end, is where the city ends.

Just because development is happening outside of them, doesn't mean you can all of a sudden

claiim it as city. If that were the case, many "cities" would be much bigger.

Springfield lost population due to influx of business to downtown? huh? that makes no sense.

Yes, They may be building apartments and people may be moving into Springfield, but a bigger

number are moving out to the suburbs, or out of the area all together. causing a net loss, not a gain.

You think 200,000 is within easy reach? Umm, no it's not. There are far more homes and apartments being built in Little Rock and we're having a hard time reaching the 200,000 mark. While there are tons of people moving to Little Rock, there are also people moving to the suburbs from Little Rock.

Springfield will not EVER reach 200,000. It has 70 sq. miles and the citizens will not allow much to be annexed. Springfield will not become much more dense either.

I know you'd like to see Springfield hit 200,000, as would I...but the sad fact is, it won't.

It's losing population, not gaining. Most core cities are barely growing or losing population.

It's the burbs that are growing.

Just because you don't want to face the truth, doesn't make me stupid. It just makes you naieve.

I realize this post is in response to an old post from April, but I wanted to clear something up about Springfield. Yes, census data only counts the population within the city limits. Yes, Springfield's city limit population is roughly 150,000. Yes, all cities have development outside of them that is not technically the city itself.

But to say Springfield will never reach 200,000 is naive. To say that not much more will be annexed into Springfield is naive also. I am not saying that Springfield will reach 200,000, but I will point out something that Springfield has up its sleave.

Springfield has something called an Urban Service Area. This district is unincorporated county (for the most part; the city of Battlefield is included and a sparsely populated slice of Republic might be in it) to which Springfield supplies utility services. This area is dense enough to supply water, gas, sewer to at a fairly cost-effective price, hence Springfield does. This area potentially can be annexed, when the city feels like it wants to provide other services (like Springfield Police protection). And eventually, this area is expected to be annexed.

Currently, this area has about 30,000 people in it. Subtract about 5000 from areas that will never be Springfield (like Battlefield and places that are too close to other suburbs, etc). Then there are 25,000 potential Springfieldians that already live there (the Urban Service Area is growing just as fast as the suburbs are and have much room for more density, but I'll ignore these facts that could lead to an inflated/inaccurate estimate).

150,000 + 25,000 = 175,000 people to which Springfield has a rightful claim (eventually). Note that this estimation method was conservative (I didn't add liberal and/or unfounded conjecture).

Another 25,000 is a long way to go to 200,000, but it is certainly possible.

**Disclaimer:

This was not to compare Springfield with any other similarly or not-so-similarly sized cities.

http://www.greenecountymo.org/web/UrbanServiceMap.pdf Greene County Webpage's Map

http://www.news-leader.com/assets/pdf/DO43936102.PDF News-leader's Map

http://www.news-leader.com/assets/jpg/DO44033103.JPG Another News-leader Map

(These are various URLs/links to maps of Springfield's Urban Service Area)

If more links/sources are wanted, just ask.

I realize this post is in response to an old post from April, but I wanted to clear something up about Springfield. Yes, census data only counts the population within the city limits. Yes, Springfield's city limit population is roughly 150,000. Yes, all cities have development outside of them that is not technically the city itself.

But to say Springfield will never reach 200,000 is naive. To say that not much more will be annexed into Springfield is naive also. I am not saying that Springfield will reach 200,000, but I will point out something that Springfield has up its sleave.

Springfield has something called an Urban Service Area. This district is unincorporated county (for the most part; the city of Battlefield is included and a sparsely populated slice of Republic might be in it) to which Springfield supplies utility services. This area is dense enough to supply water, gas, sewer to at a fairly cost-effective price, hence Springfield does. This area potentially can be annexed, when the city feels like it wants to provide other services (like Springfield Police protection). And eventually, this area is expected to be annexed.

Currently, this area has about 30,000 people in it. Subtract about 5000 from areas that will never be Springfield (like Battlefield and places that are too close to other suburbs, etc). Then there are 25,000 potential Springfieldians that already live there (the Urban Service Area is growing just as fast as the suburbs are and have much room for more density, but I'll ignore these facts that could lead to an inflated/inaccurate estimate).

150,000 + 25,000 = 175,000 people to which Springfield has a rightful claim (eventually). Note that this estimation method was conservative (I didn't add liberal and/or unfounded conjecture).

Another 25,000 is a long way to go to 200,000, but it is certainly possible.

**Disclaimer:

This was not to compare Springfield with any other similarly or not-so-similarly sized cities.

http://www.greenecountymo.org/web/UrbanServiceMap.pdf Greene County Webpage's Map

http://www.news-leader.com/assets/pdf/DO43936102.PDF News-leader's Map

http://www.news-leader.com/assets/jpg/DO44033103.JPG Another News-leader Map

(These are various URLs/links to maps of Springfield's Urban Service Area)

If more links/sources are wanted, just ask.

I'm glad someone else understands where I am coming from. I don't think that I put it quite like you did, but we both got across the same points. Its only inevitable that these area's will be annexed into Springfield. I mean look at what the city did when Rogersville tried to annex part of the urban service area into their city. Springfield jumped on the band waggon and said I don't think so and a compromise was made.(nothing was later annexed) Also, Springfield cannot grow into Christian County, they wont allow it. Springfield and Nixa are in a race to get to the Green and Christian County line. Its only a matter of time.

I'm not going to sit here and make false accusations, but I will say this. It WILL happen!

Also, Springfield cannot grow into Christian County, they wont allow it.

can they legally block springfield from expanding into christian such as if springfield wanted to annex the baseball fields and go-cart track area in the valley just across the county line.

Rogersville is in both Webster and Greene counties so i dont see the problem with growing over county lines. The city limits already touch the county line by Millwood and by the james river power plant.

Also springfield doesn't want to annex all the neighborhoods around the city limits because they would be a finiancial burden with the additinal police, firemen, ect. that would be needed. They city is only expanding along major roads so they can collect taxes from new business to create more city income so I don't expect the citys population to move much due to annexation. Thats why you see the city fighting republic for the jamesriver/sunshine intersection and rogersville for US 60/? intersection because of the expected busniness development and the millions of tax income potental.

can they legally block springfield from expanding into christian such as if springfield wanted to annex the baseball fields and go-cart track area in the valley just across the county line.

Rogersville is in both Webster and Greene counties so i dont see the problem with growing over county lines. The city limits already touch the county line by Millwood and by the james river power plant.

Also springfield doesn't want to annex all the neighborhoods around the city limits because they would be a finiancial burden with the additinal police, firemen, ect. that would be needed. They city is only expanding along major roads so they can collect taxes from new business to create more city income so I don't expect the citys population to move much due to annexation. Thats why you see the city fighting republic for the jamesriver/sunshine intersection and rogersville for US 60/? intersection because of the expected busniness development and the millions of tax income potental.

Christian County flat out wont allow Springfield to grow into Christian County for the sake of Ozark and Nixa.

I'm not saying that they will flat out annex these neighborhoods. I agree with you on how developers annex thier land for cheaper taxes and such, but alot of developers who are building multifamily neighborhoods are annexing becasue of what the "cities" are offering from what they used to. You see this example happening all the time in Ozark and Nixa. They aren't getting those increasingly fast population numbers by people moving to the already "city limits".

In Springfield, all of the land that is annexed by developers for business and what not, along the major roads will land lock these southside neighborhoods leaving them to be annexed eventually. As I have said before, This area is no differently set up than KC or STL. There is Springfield, then all of the suburbs in a circle around the core city. Springfield wants to make sure that these cities such as, Willard, Republic, Strafford......don't take (annex) the land that they will eventually proclaim. In order to do so they must annex land to stop that from happening, which will happen at a much faster rate by the way this area is growing.

• 8 months later...

Archived