your favorite songs from the 80s and 90s

cityboi

I'm late to this thread but there's nothing I love more than making stupid music-related lists :)

Does anyone remember any of these songs from the 80s... a bit out of the mainstream but this stuff pretty much defined my adolescence for me (even though I was practically a decade late on most of them - i was a teenager in the 90s, but the whole grunge thing neve really connected with me when all my classmates were ecked out in eddie-vedder-style ensembles...)

the killing moon - echo and the bunnymen

under the big black sun - x

how soon is now - the smiths

clampdown - the clash

return the gift - gang of four (this MIGHT be '79, now that i think about it...)

the mercy seat - nick cave and the bad seeds

sixteen blue - the replacements

that's when i reach for my revolver - mission of burma

pictures of you - the cure

fairytale in new york - the pogues

i am the fly - wire

i like plenty of the cheesy 80s stuff too. love the go-gos, the bangles, duran duran, modern english, ead alive, etc.

90s is tougher for me, but you haven't lived until you've heard pj harvey sing "the dancer" - last track on to bring you my love - amazing.

S

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Personal Jesus and Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode, Come Undone - Duran Duran, Carnival - Natalie Merchant, anything off of Debut or Post - Bjork, Fumbling Towards Ecstasy - Sarah McLachlan, Deep Forest and Boheme - Deep Forest, Aphex Twin and The Prodigy's early stuff, and too many other songs from artists of various styles under the genre of electronic dance music to list.

In the 80s I mostly listened to Metallica, Megadeth, Quiet Riot, Van Halen, Ozzy, Whitesnake, etc. In the mid-90s it was mainly bands like Type O Negative, KoRn, Coal Chamber, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, etc. Really deep, dark stuff.

Good times... good times... I'm so friggin tame now. I was listening to a Kenny Chesney CD on my way to work this morning, and last week I was listening to Elvis.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here remember Nitzer Ebb?

Some repeats and some new maybe (I had to dig back in my old CD's):

How Soon Is Now - The Smiths

Haunted and Yin & Yang.. - Love and Rockets

Everything's Gone Green and Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order

World in My Eyes - Depeche Mode

Under the Milky Way - The Church

Just Like Heaven and Hot Hot Hot - The Cure

Breathe - Prodigy

for starters...

Oh, and Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears (as others mentioned)

Like SBCmetroguy, I listen to anything these days. I even bought an older (70's) Stevie Wonder CD a couple of weeks ago. Love it!

just bands & artists from the 80's:

anything by INXS ( I actually met Michael Hutchence and the guys!)

Tears for Fears

Thompson Twins

U2

Culture Club (yes Boy George!.....I said it!)

Ultravox

Talk Talk

WHAM

Eddy Grant ( Electric Avenue)

Go Go's

Big Country

Def Leppard

A HA

UB40 (Red RED Wine!)

Musical Youth ( Pass the Dutchie)

The Cars

Ziggy Marley (Tomorrow People)

Pet Shop Boys

Heaven 17 (Let Me Go.....incredible band)

Alphaville (Big in Japan)

David Bowie

The Cure

Echo & the Bunnymen (Lips like Sugar)

Depeche Mode

Erasure

Thomas Dolby (She blinded me with Science)

Duran x2

Eurythmics (Sweet Dreams & Here comes the Rain again)

Dream Academy ( Life in a Northern Town)

Marvin Gaye (Sexual Healing)

Hall & Oates

Billy Idol

Human League (Don't you want me?)

Icicle Works (Whisper to a scream)

Janet Jackson .....(anything by her)

KajaGooGoo (Too Shy)

Cyndi Lauper (Girls just want to have Fun & True Colors)

Tom Tom Club

I'm late to this topic. But yeah I remember them. Don't know if I have any of their albums anymore.

How Soon Is Now - The Smiths

Haunted and Yin & Yang.. - Love and Rockets

Everything's Gone Green and Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order

World in My Eyes - Depeche Mode

Under the Milky Way - The Church

Just Like Heaven and Hot Hot Hot - The Cure

Breathe - Prodigy

Nice to see I wasn't the only one really into all the British stuff back then. I'm pretty open to just about all music nowadays, but back then I was into British pop and techno.

Personal Jesus and Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode, Come Undone - Duran Duran, Carnival - Natalie Merchant, anything off of Debut or Post - Bjork, Fumbling Towards Ecstasy - Sarah McLachlan, Deep Forest and Boheme - Deep Forest, Aphex Twin and The Prodigy's early stuff, and too many other songs from artists of various styles under the genre of electronic dance music to list.

Nice to see some techno listed on here. :D It's too hard for me to pick a few songs out though.

I do! "Lies. Lies. Lies. Lies. Books. Books. Books. Books. Burn. Burn. Burn. Burn. Fire! Fire! Fire! Ooowww! Join in the Chant! " I loved them in college.

It looks as if a lot of people here have hacked into my iTunes. But, I'll play along and pretend you didn't. This is almost too hard, but here are a handful in no particular order:

Eat Cannibals (Total Coelo)

Talk Talk (Talk Talk)

even though it's really from 1976, I think "Love is the Drug" (Roxy Music) sounds like it came out about 6 years too early. You decide.

Anything by Ministry, Depeche Mode, Erasure, REM...

Don't You Want Me? (Human League)

Valley Girl (Frank and Moon Zappa)

Girl U Want (Devo)

Red Skies (The Fixx)

Let's Go To Bed (The Cure)

The Walk (The Cure... pretty much anything by them too)

Stand and Deliver (back when they were called Adam and The Ants)

Wishing (A Flock of Seagulls)

Wrap it Up (Fabulous Thunderbirds)

Brand New Lover (Dead or Alive)

It's My Life (The Plasmatics.... Go Wendy!)

The Killing Moon (Echo and the Bunnymen)

Lies (Thompson Twins)

What Difference Does it Make? (The Smiths)

Like the Weather (10,000 Maniacs)

The entire soundtrack to The Lost Boys

Monkey Gone to Heaven (The Pixies)

Ballerina Out of Control (The Ocean Blue)

Mandinka (Sinead O'Connor)

Dear God (XTC)

Cool Thing (Sonic Youth)

...and lots of stuff I'm (almost) too embarrassed to type... Madonna, Debbie Gibson, Bangles, Expose, even a Menudo song! My tastes cover the gamut. Sex Pistols to Def Leppard to Stacey Q to The Waitresses. I'd better stop. I can feel my face getting red.

^ I had a bad experience listening to "I eat Cannibals" by Total Coelo about 2 years ago. I was at my university's computing center surrounded by about 450 other users with my friend sitting at the terminal next to me. This song came on the 80's station of some streaming radio. Since my headphones were plugged into the computer, the volume was kind of high. After my friends sampled the song, he found it funny to unplug the headphones jack right during the chorus, blasting it through the room. If it weren't for the partitions between the computer clusters, I could have only imagined how many eyes would have been on me, however a lot of ears heard, that's for sure.

lol, sorry I got a bit off there, I guess that would be my most hated song now.

Oh almost forgot:

Sledgehammer and Addicted to Love by Robert Palmer (this WAS 80's music)!

and the power ballad top 2, "Every Rose has it's thorn" and "Heaven" by Bryan Adams.

80s

I Melt With You - Modern English

Love My Way - Psychedelic Furs

Killing Moon - Echo & The Bunnymen

Lucky Number - Lene Lovich

Breakup Song - Greg Kihn

Never Say Never - Romeo Void

Some great shows:

1987 - Love & Rockets/Jane's Addiction, The Swans, Let's Active

1988 - Meat Puppets, The Church, Midnight Oil

1989 - New Order, Throwing Muses

1990 - The Cure, The Buzzcocks, Sonic Youth, Jesus Lizard

Thru about 1985 the big album-rock FM station in Charlotte had a Sunday night show called "The Best Of British" - misnamed, as it was really just a 4-hour free-form free-for-all of post-punk, but it was the one time during the week when you'd hear The Bunnymen, Cure, Clash, Wire, Gang Of Four, whatever... I never missed it. Roundabout 1985 the station went top-40 and all was lost; the following year the Davidson college station went all-classical and ditched the student-programmed format it had before then.

Given the vast amount of NC independent rock, I'd hope someday to see one of the in-state indie lables (like Merge Records in Durham or Yep Roc in Mebane) pull together a box set; hitting the best of the 70s/80s Charlotte/Winston stuff (The dBs, Lets Active, Fetchin Bones, Discord, The Right Profile, Antiseen, et. al.) along with the post-90 Chapel Hill/Greensboro/Raleigh stuff (Superchunk, Whiskeytown, Dillon Fence, Archers Of Loaf, Geezer Lake, Metal Flake Mother, SNZippers, Ben Folds, Pipe, +...). Someday.

Archived