Haywood Mall

Temeteron

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kaybee, Sam Goody, Suncoast, & Wet Seal, Petite Sophisticate, Gadzooks & Casual Corner have closed or are in the process of closing........meanwhile, Pottery Barn has opened & Eddie Bauer is opening....any others opening that you guys know about?

They are getting rid of the more moderate stores and going slightly more upscale with the remodel. The moderates above have been replaced by Pottery Barn, Guess, Marble Slab, Build-A-Bear, Williams Sonoma, Coldwater Creek, Eddie Bauer, a new prototype Footlocker and soon Coach, possibly Apple. More on the way! :thumbsup:

i don't think i would call haywood a mega mall. i mean, it's not that much bigger than westgate.

Its the exact same size as Westgame in terms of square footage. Both are 1.1 million sq ft. Westgate has more space for anchors, Haywood has more space for smaller retailers (two levels). Haywood is certainly no more of a mega mall than Westgate, and IMO is not necessarily the better shopping experience. But then, I don't like malls.

I wouldn't expect you Spartanburgers to say much positive about Haywood since you have Westgate in your own backyard. You should be proud of your mall. Having visited both malls more than once, I can't say that Westgate is any better on any level, except that it has a movie theatre located inside. That doesn't mean it is a great theatre either, but if you live in Spartanburg, you have no choice but to love it. I definitely prefer Haywood Mall as a regional shopping experience with high-class stores and two levels of depth, but remember, I'm a Greenville resident. :D

I know residents of every city like their mall, but I'd defnitely say that Haywood with J.Crew, Godiva, Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, Ann Taylor, Aveda, Guess, Eddie Bauer, soon to be Coach, Coldwater Creek, Johnston & Murphy, Hollister, Abercrombie & Fitch , Panera, Build-A-Bear, Banana Republic, Gap, Gap Kids, Brookstone, etc, etc is definitely the best and most upscale in the upstate.

Maybe I'm just a mall snob and am spoiled having moved up here from Orlando, but both Haywood and Westgate have room for improvement, IMHO. Haywood is definitely going more upscale and improving the appearance indoors, but the outside is still an eyesore. I simply was not impressed with Westgate, but I went to Westgate and the Mall of Georgia in the same timeframe, so maybe my opinion was somewhat skewed.

I wouldn't expect you Spartanburgers to say much positive about Haywood since you have Westgate in your own backyard. You should be proud of your mall.

We're Spartans, not Spartanburgers :thumbsup:

Maybe I'm just a mall snob and am spoiled having moved up here from Orlando, but both Haywood and Westgate have room for improvement, IMHO. Haywood is definitely going more upscale and improving the appearance indoors, but the outside is still an eyesore. I simply was not impressed with Westgate, but I went to Westgate and the Mall of Georgia in the same timeframe, so maybe my opinion was somewhat skewed.

While I don't think you are too far off base, I wouldn't compare Westgate to the Mall of Georgia. They aren't really in teh same league.

don't get me wrong, i like haywood mall too. I go there at least a couple of times a month and i really like the renovations that they've made.

Haywood definately has better choices of retailers but I like the way that westgate is layed out more than haywood...and yes i'm a spartan so i'm going to like what's at home.

In my view, "mega-mall" implies that it is actually a large mall. Haywood is certainly a very prominant regional mall, but it would need to be larger (certainly larger than Westgate) to be a mega-mall. Lenox Square in Atlanta is a mega-mall. This is all subjective, of course.

Thanks RT :)

A super-regional mall is one that's over 1 million square feet. Mega-mall is a made up term that means nothing. If you were going to assign it a meaning, it would probably be something over 1.5 million square feet, to be sure. By that rationale, there are only two mega-malls in the Carolinas: Hanes Mall in Winston-Salem and SouthPark in Charlotte.

Concord Mills in Charlotte is close to mega-mall status at 1.4 million square feet, so is Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh, but nothing in South Carolina comes close by that standard, not even Haywood.

While I wouldn't consider Haywood "mega", at 1.26 million, it's not small. Additionally, I think the multi story parking deck gives it a much larger feel. Isn't Haywood the only mall in SC with a multi story parking deck?

Edit: Just remembered Richland has one. However, Richland isn't really a mall anymore. It's gone the way of Greenville Mall.

Ok, I am having some issues with our numbers for our official total aquare footage for out malls. I was previously under the impression that:

• Haywood = 1.1 million sq ft

• Westgate = 1.1 million

• Grend Coastal = 1.2 million

but I did a search and just based on some semi-official sites I found this info-

• Haywood = 1.2 million

• Westgate = 1.1 million

• Grand Coastal = 1.5 million

So, is there an official list or data base out there some place? I think it would bee good to have some more solid numbers here.

Aha, that will work. Westgate is owned by CBL too. Here is a list of their properties in SC

• Charleston Citadel Mall Regional Mall 1,067,491 sq. ft.

• Columbia Columbia Place Regional Mall 1,042,404 sq. ft.

• Myrtle Beach Coastal Grand Regional Mall 929,868 sq. ft.

• North Charleston Northwoods Mall Regional Mall 833,833 sq. ft.

• Spartanburg WestGate Crossing Associated Center 157,247 sq. ft.

• Spartanburg WestGate Mall Regional Mall 1,100,679 sq. ft.

I can't find any official figure for Haywood, but I will accept that 1.26 million, as it sounds about right.

So it seems that the rumor of Grand Coastal being the largest mall in SC is very much false. Haywood retains that title.

Columbiana Centre is at 817,350 sq. ft.

So here is my "official" tabulation:

1. Haywood Mall1,260,000 sq ft.

2. WestGate Mall1,100,679 sq. ft.

3. Citadel Mall 1,067,491 sq. ft.

4. Columbia Place 1,042,404 sq. ft.

5. Coastal Grand 929,868 sq. ft.

6. Northwoods Mall 833,833 sq. ft.

7. Columbiana Centre 817,350 sq. ft.

Interesting...

Archived